Building a Cyclo Cross bike

Meerkat82

What wheel size MTB frame is it?

No, I dont have a frame yet. I have 2 sets of 26" mtb wheels and some other random parts. Was thinking of either using the 26" or selling all/most of the parts and then doing a 29"

I want it to be a very versatile bike. I will most likely use it more on road than offroad as well. However I will venture out on gravel roads and maybe the odd mtb trail that is hardpack.

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No, I dont have a frame yet. I have 2 sets of 26" mtb wheels and some other random parts. Was thinking of either using the 26" or selling all/most of the parts and then doing a 29"

I want it to be a very versatile bike. I will most likely use it more on road than offroad as well. However I will venture out on gravel roads and maybe the odd mtb trail that is hardpack.

If you have the 26" wheels then get a 26" frame. At a later stage just get 29" wheels and run 35 or 40C tyres - this should fit into your 26" frame. Then you have a frame that can take bigger volume tyres on a 26" rim and smaller CX/ gravel tyres on a 29" rim. Page back a bit - I posted a Soda frame with 29" wheels. It's a 26" frame.

If you have the 26" wheels then get a 26" frame. At a later stage just get 29" wheels and run 35 or 40C tyres - this should fit into your 26" frame. Then you have a frame that can take bigger volume tyres on a 26" rim and smaller CX/ gravel tyres on a 29" rim. Page back a bit - I posted a Soda frame with 29" wheels. It's a 26" frame.

Ok, cool. I saw the Soda, its nice!! Good Idea but surely I will get away with using the 26" wheels on a 29er frame as well. Now just to find a frame I like.

Ok, cool. I saw the Soda, its nice!! Good Idea but surely I will get away with using the 26" wheels on a 29er frame as well. Now just to find a frame I like.

Yes of course you can but you'll potentially lower your BB height. Don't understand why you'd do that if you have the 26" wheels... Besides 26" frames would be cheaper to pick up I'd imagine...

Edited by Ryanpmb

Yes of course you can but you'll potentially lower your BB height. Don't understand why you'd do that if you have the 26" wheels... Besides 26" frames would be cheaper to pick up I'd imagine...

So what frames do you have available?

So what frames do you have available?

Ha! I can help with either 26" or 29". I nice Inbred with rigid fork and Midge bars would be beaut ;)

Drop me a PM if you're interested and we can discuss.

No no no...

Unless you are buying a cx specific frame in carbon it might be way too stiff. Happened to a mate of mine and he regrets his decision. Steel makes for a great compromise

And don't let those " in the know " tell you that it's heavy and inefficient. It is not light and is compliant. There is a difference.

So after a lot of deliberation, soul searching and consultation with the vice-CFO, and after help from a number of Hubbers (thanks gents!!), I made the decision today to buy the ......

So after a lot of deliberation, soul searching and consultation with the vice-CFO, and after help from a number of Hubbers (thanks gents!!), I made the decision today to buy the ......

Niner

Still waiting.......