Is going 1x10 really worth it?!?

gpcar

Hi there Hubbers,

There is alot of debate going around changing to a 1x10 groupset.

I am currently running a 3x10 and thinking of changing to a 1x10....

Is the conversion really worth it?

or should i just keep the 3x10.

Your help would be appreciated :)

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi there Hubbers,

What I mean is you will either run out of revs or out of gears. Well I did so I am back on 2 x 10. I could not HTFU. I weight 95kg.

Just put a 30 tooth in front. Don't change anything else.

really. You don't need to buy anything else.

shops just want to make money off you

Been reading a lot about this lately. I've got 2 x 10 but really like the idea of the simplicity of 1 x 10 or 11.

Think I would go for 1 x 11 but then dont know the cost factors yet. Someone told me if I go for the above conversion, I might as well buy a new bike!?!?

What will this conversion cost you? What is your bike worth?

Just put a 30 tooth in front. Don't change anything else.

really. You don't need to buy anything else.

shops just want to make money off you

30t!? Whaaaat!? I climbed to the mast on my reign x on a 34. Okay, I was dead afterwards, but I did it.

Now on a 32 and I don't find myself shirt of revs. In fact I often find myself surprised that there's another gear.

Buy to answer the OP. The only thing you really need is to remove your big and small rings and then either a chain guide or a narrow wide chain ring. Or both. Won't cost you more than a grand.

I paid R600 for my raceface 34T chainring, that was the total cost. Kept same chain length as i had. As long as you have a clutch rear dérailleur youll have no chain drops.

Came from a 2x slx setup, so its 10speed now with 11-36 at the back

I can do groenkloof and hakahana which have some hectic climbs so i dont see an issue if youre fit. I do spin out at about 40-45 kmph but for me thats not an issue

Ill never go back to 2x.

Worth it in what way, weight savings, i dropped approx. 300g from the bike

Simplicity forsure, and it looks alot cleaner

Hi there Hubbers,

Short answer: No

Been reading a lot about this lately. I've got 2 x 10 but really like the idea of the simplicity of 1 x 10 or 11.

Think I would go for 1 x 11 but then dont know the cost factors yet. Someone told me if I go for the above conversion, I might as well buy a new bike!?!?

What will this conversion cost you? What is your bike worth?

Yeah the SRAM 1x11 groupsets are very pricey. wouldnt want to go that route R3000 for a rear cassette!!! 

If you convert to 1x10 it would be the NW front chainring - R700 and the 42 tooth rear R1200

so its a R2000 conversion.

My bike is quite expensive with XTR parts but im really thinking of this 1x10

I went from 3x9 to 1x10 with spares for the 2x10 at hand. Not once have I considered changing it. Maybe for karoo to coast type riding.

Hi there Hubbers,

xx1

Go for it. I've got a 42t super granny at the rear for when I'm lazy.

Ive got a 32t extremely hilly and 36t for the flatter stuff. By flatter I mean comfortably 18% gradient. The 32t is for the Tokai mast type climbing.

I did the k2c this year with the 36t on the front. Didn't once feel like i struggled on the route.

I tell everyone, you've got no 22 or something small on the front for when you're suffering, you either stop and push OR you put on your big boy pants and trap jou gat af!!

Go for it, there's less maintenance and you get to save "some" weight

Oja, my bike weighs 10.5kgs and I top the scales at about 70kgs after a big lunch, hehehe

I paid R600 for my raceface 34T chainring, that was the total cost. Kept same chain length as i had. As long as you have a clutch rear dérailleur youll have no chain drops.

I can do groenkloof and hakahana which have some hectic climbs so i dont see an issue if youre fit. I do spin out at about 40-45 kmph but for me thats not an issue

Ill never go back to 2x.

Damn, I spin out on a 38 up front. If it get it right I could probably do all of Botlary hills on a 38/36.  I had a 36 on up front and seriously ran out of revs on some of the marathon rides, but could ride everything on freshish legs.

But the issue is how much weight will i save (i read about 300g) damn that is 1 good dump in the morning. And as for looking "cleaner" to me it looks out of balance on the bars. 

Ill never go back to 2x.

Thanks !!! 

Archived