Mzansi Tour in jeopardy

News bot

This is seriously disappointing news. The exact same thing happened with the SA Tennis Open and Soweto Tennis Open a couple of years ago. Sponsors pulling out (or being forced to pull out) leaving the event high and dry. I think it would be great if another corporate or event government department jumped in to sponsor this event. 

It amazes me how SA only has 1 UCI race. We can't let this 1 become a 0. 

Funny how we can have 2 UCI MTB stage races, fully sponsored, but battle to get one road race going. Perhaps the road folk should look to change the format?

This is really sad!

African countries like Gabon and Rwanda can get it right but South Africa can't?!

First the Cell C tour of SA (sponsor withdrawing) and now this.  In SA sponsors are not very reliable.

Could the organizers not see this coming.  Did they not have regular contact with the sponsor over the past year?

Cathsseta is a government entity. I think a government or municipal entity should not be sponsoring commercial events. There are more pressing issues that need financial intervention.

Logistics of this event must be "tiny" compared to overseas road events and be easily affordable for the big financial institutions.

They fall all over themselves to sponsor mtb events, but seem allergic to getting behind road events.

What is CSA doing about this? Is it not in their interest to keep the event alive?

Cape Minstrels got R25Million of Lotto money last week.

Just saying.

Would be really sad to loose another SA pro tour but I'm sure Jen and Tanya are doing their best to secure another sponsor. Bees are you offering :-)

Guest DieBees

Would be really sad to loose another SA pro tour but I'm sure Jen and Tanya are doing their best to secure another sponsor. Bees are you offering :-)

He he. I just wonder what type of money they need. All I can offer is prayer... My savings pig can only take so much ( and give)

Bad news, but Im starting to wonder if road race organizers are not flogging a dead horse. Road cycling in SA is a participant sport, not a spectator sport. The interest in a pro only race is small. Perhaps a strategic re-think is neccesary.

He he. I just wonder what type of money they need. All I can offer is prayer... My savings pig can only take so much ( and give)

I can't tell you the true figure(its not for me to say) but it is a few Mil. Well worth it for the exposure. Christie in all honesty mtb exposure isn't any better. Ever looked around and saw its mostly the riders family waiting at the finish...those are not people coming from their houses to look. Malcolm and co did a good job last year to get people on to the street to support mzansi stages

But mtb gets lots of tv time. Imo the footage about mtb events make good tv, with scenery, wipe outs, and some air time spent on the rest of the field.