Yes you are correct.

But you do find Gluten free Rye bread...... at a price

Where can I find this?  I have never seen it.  i buy all my Gluten frre products from Dischem and they are generally expensive.  A Ready baked bread is R39.00, the flour that I buy to bake my own bread is about R30.00 and a 500 gram packet of Gluten free pasta is around R35.00

Hey

Are there any other gluten intolerant cyclists ? 

I recently discovered i am celiac. Therefore i can't eat gluten. 

Cutting out gluten has helped me a lot recently with my riding, i'm recovering faster and feeling better. 

Although, now i am struggling to find food to eat before training. I've been using brown rice or future life zero and even both. 

Also what do you eat on the bike ? I like race fuel bars and naked bars, but now during base training time when i'm doing 5-6 hour rides everyday its getting tricky. 

Thanks 

Ask your Dr to test your iron levels.  You will probably have low Iron levels if you Celiac's desease and follow a Gluten free diet

We're cutting out most allergans from our diets at home to try and figure out what exactly my kid is intolerant to. So basicly dairy, wheat and nuts are out for now.  

This is *** because it limits breakfast choices.

So now its boiled eggs, jam, rice crackers and so on

Brown rice cakes and gluten free tortilla wraps have replaced bread in my house for lunch.

Dinners are normally stews like butternut, sweet potatoe, green beans, chicken fillets etc.

You need to go to the nicer stores for more and/or better options.

I don't understand this thread. Please help me out with this. Gluten is a protein. Actually it is a combination of two proteins that are mostly but not exclusively found in wheat. Kneading wheat dough forms the gluten which is a long elastic protein that gives bread it's bounce and elasticity.

So what I don't understand is the assumption that a person that is intolerant to gluten needs to immediately go carb free since gluten itself isn't a carbohydrate although it is found in some carb heavy foods like bread.

What gives? What am I missing?

I created this thread cause i was finding it difficult to find a solid pre - ride breakfast without gluten. I defiantly didn't have the assumption that i need to cut out carbs. Carbs makes up most of my diet, as it is what gives us energy. 

Thanks for all the input everyone. After being gluten free for a while now i find it much easier. I've tried and tested many things, and have invented a few recipes of my own. 

http://www.cureceliacdisease.org/archives/faq/do-oats-contain-gluten

I read that article but sorry it's not accurate. Follow the above link and look at the nutritional info on oats

HM, I don't know, but if I eat a small amount of oats it gives the same symptoms that I get when consuming wheat, rye or barley.  Therefore i just stay away of every product that contain any of those four ingredients

I created this thread cause i was finding it difficult to find a solid pre - ride breakfast without gluten. I defiantly didn't have the assumption that i need to cut out carbs. Carbs makes up most of my diet, as it is what gives us energy. 

Hi Leg breaker.  Future Life is Gluten free, ProNutro also has a Gluten free cereal.  I buy a pap mix and meal replacement from PVM and mix them together for  breakfast.  Plain old mielie pap is also a good alternative

Eggs-mushrooms-feta scramble with some hemp powder (extra protein to make me feel full in lieu of toast) has been my pre-ride breakfast a couple of times.

I really wish it were a case of mind over matter. But the fact is that I suffer from a variety of symptoms that are all completely relieved when I remove the gluten rich foods from my diet. Whether it is actually the gluten that affects me or not,I'm just happy to not have the symptoms.

On one of my recent rides I had a snack bar containing wheat flour (no, i didnt check the ingredients until after the ride as I got it on a prmo) and by the end of the cycle i had all the symptoms that I associate with this fictional gluten intolerance of mine. the not so nice part is that its not a quick bit of discomfort... its literally 3 days before i get back to "normal".

Like I said, I dont care if its actually the gluten or not. but removing wheat flour specifically has made an immense difference in my life. 

pre-ride I like to have sweet potato and in terms of on the bike nutrition i am rather fond of Nougat at the moment. Of course banannas are always great! 

I really wish it were a case of mind over matter. But the fact is that I suffer from a variety of symptoms that are all completely relieved when I remove the gluten rich foods from my diet. Whether it is actually the gluten that affects me or not,I'm just happy to not have the symptoms.

On one of my recent rides I had a snack bar containing wheat flour (no, i didnt check the ingredients until after the ride as I got it on a prmo) and by the end of the cycle i had all the symptoms that I associate with this fictional gluten intolerance of mine. the not so nice part is that its not a quick bit of discomfort... its literally 3 days before i get back to "normal".

Like I said, I dont care if its actually the gluten or not. but removing wheat flour specifically has made an immense difference in my life. 

pre-ride I like to have sweet potato and in terms of on the bike nutrition i am rather fond of Nougat at the moment. Of course banannas are always great! 

Gluten intolerance is a real problem and not just a thing of the mind.  Yes there are many cyclists that are not Gluten intollerant that still prefer to follow a Gluten free diet because of the benefits it gives.