Bike jacking. CPT cycle lane. Sunday 14 December

stratus5

I always looked at the guys skipping the cycle lane in favour of the N1 in and out of town thinking what idiots. But no more, i will also now be one of the idiots rather taking my chances on the N1.  Used the cycle lane twice this weekend along that stretch and saw many dodgy characters, homeless urinating in such a way that we all had to admire his not significant manhood, overall state of lane in serious need of maintenance and security upgrade! 

It is actually very safe, the short stretch the cars is already not going as fast and very lenient normally...I have been one of those idiots and still is. :)

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ek het nou nie deur al die post gelees nie, maar hoekom het hy nie sy fiets deur sy garmin probeer opspoor aangesien hy GPS is?

LAND INVASION (Squatter control) Telephone: 0800 225 669

Going to phone this number regularly till city gets tired of me and gets  rid of squatters along the cycle route.If enough of us phone they got to take notice.Squatting in bush neat Woodstock busstation and also all along the N1 from where we go under the N1 all the way to Lower Church st. Have seen Metro cops kick them out before 

Perhaps a " fire ( read raging inferno)" in the immediate vicinity of that bush should sort out some unwanted squatting?... :ph34r: :whistling: ...and send a very LOUD message...

Reply from @WesternCapeGov:

http://www.westerncape.gov.za/dept/community-safety

I've sent them an email to this thread.

Now that kind of answer I find unacceptable.

I would prefer somthing along the lines of " in future please contact........ however we have notified law enforcement ..... should they not get back to you please contact......."

That response just shows they cant be bothered

Perhaps a " fire ( read raging inferno)" in the immediate vicinity of that bush should sort out some unwanted squatting?... :ph34r: :whistling: ...and send a very LOUD message...

There is a department of safety and security also!

I see on the "things I learned from commuting" thread that someone nearly got 'jacked there the other night too.

Now that kind of answer I find unacceptable.

I would prefer somthing along the lines of " in future please contact........ however we have notified law enforcement ..... should they not get back to you please contact......."

That response just shows they cant be bothered

I hear you Eddy. It's unfortunately the approach most companies take on social media these days. I think the person/people managing the accounts just don't have the will (or brain) power to do something further. The replies feel far too "standardized" and apathetic, instead of taking initiative.

I may as well have told them it was too windy along the cycle lane and would like them to investigate ways of making it easier to ride.

Ek het nou nie deur al die post gelees nie, maar hoekom het hy nie sy fiets deur sy garmin probeer opspoor aangesien hy GPS is?

Don't think the Garmin Edge 500 has the ability to send its live GPS co-ordinates. It can only record and then upload, so unfortunately this would not be possible.

There is a department of safety and security also!

Agreed. I am just ranting...kind of like when you see a taxi cut someone off, and you feel like ramming the b@stard! You obviously don't do it, but secretly you want to...

Agreed. I am just ranting...kind of like when you see a taxi cut someone off, and you feel like ramming the b@stard! You obviously don't do it, but secretly you want to...

lol, every so and again I do when they try to cut me off. shhhhhhh

Reply via email from the Western Cape Government:

Please be advised that you will need to refer the matter to the City of Cape Town's Traffic Law Enforcement, they will be able to assist you. Please find the contact details below.

0860 765 423 (sharecall rates) or 021 596 1999

Why are they so reluctant to take the initiative and do something about it? Surely the "Western Cape Government" would be better off contacting the "City of Cape Town's Traffic Law Enforcement" than I would? Don't these organisations/departments work together?

The problem here is that when someone is hurt or what ever, u have to call police and the metro rescue or ambulance.

What we should have is a centralised call center and then from there calls can be dispatched depending on the situation.

Another reply from the Western Cape Government (via email):

Please be informed that the Department of Community Safety is mandated to do oversight over the police in terms of service delivery. Kindly note that the Department of Transport and Public Works has a campaign called Safely Home, which include the safety of cyclist.

With a link to: https://www.capetown.gov.za/en/TravelSMART/Pages/SmartCycling.aspx

I get the impression they're not interested/concerned/aware of the severity of having your bicycle and other personal belongings stolen from you or being physically attacked whilst riding your bicycle. 

Cape Town promotes cycling both as a sustainable method of transport and a great way to stay fit and healthy. It is also cheaper, often quicker than motor vehicles and contributes to a better all-round city. 

It is not sustainable if it is not safe to do so.

Sorry to hear about your experience.

This spot is a huge hot spot. ......specifically at the bridge.

I know of too many people who have been mugged on this spot and short section of cycle Lane.

The city had done sweet bugger all to secure this zone, and they and the mycity know full well it is a high risk zone.

They have been far too slow to fix broken fences. ..As in month's to fix broken panels.

Where and when do we draw the line and make it clear we are not happy.

A very slow mass ride into town on the bus Lane to make a point that enough is enough.

I am angry, so I can just imagine how you must be feeling OP!

Sorry to hear about your experience.

This spot is a huge hot spot. ......specifically at the bridge.

I know of too many people who have been mugged on this spot and short section of cycle Lane.

The city had done sweet bugger all to secure this zone, and they and the mycity know full well it is a high risk zone.

They have been far too slow to fix broken fences. ..As in month's to fix broken panels.

Where and when do we draw the line and make it clear we are not happy.

A very slow mass ride into town on the bus Lane to make a point that enough is enough.

I am angry, so I can just imagine how you must be feeling OP!

Yeah. I agree with Hairy. I think every time a Cyclist gets knocked by an ignorant motorist (especially those taxis and those damn bus drivers) or gets mugged, we should do a daylight mass ride to town the next morning to raise alarms at council. It will frustrate Taxis, busses and all other motorists alike and they'll hate us. But we'll be raising awareness  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Archived