Can skill make up for short travel and geometry??

Raydek

Thanks Nigelhicks, think you have summarized it perfectly and is actually what I have decided to do. Hairy and I have spoken privately and this is the conclusion that I we have come to, I am looking into a shorter stem at the moment and leaving the rest be for now.

I will most likely ride like this until I can afford to buy a trail bike spec'd out the box as I would want it. Unfortunately I don't think the Axis will have much of a resale value as they are not that common and are seen by many as an inferior bike/make (had many comments over the tear I've owned it), so it will become a secondary bike or even taken over by wifey..

Thanks for the input.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm a bit late to this thread, but need to add my experience. I always wanted to ride a mountain bike, but could never afford something good, so I never took that first step... That was untill 2 years ago. Bought a second hand dual suspension Silverback Slider. Its a 26er with 100mm travel. At first I hurt myself a few times, but never blamed the bike. I started doing more and more technical stuff with it (that was what I liked from day 1) and was getting reasonably good, but it always felt a bit jittery. I could also never hit the biggish stuff with any confidence.

So earlier this year, I got myself a brand new Trance 2 27.5. I immediately got faster up + down and started hitting bigger drops etc. At times too fast and I hurt myself a few times again. Realised if I wanted to stay out of the hospital, I really needed to up my skills. All I used was YouTube and then I focused on the things I learned there, during every ride. I haven't had an off in months now and I'm still getting faster.

In my opinion, skills and bike. That is all... If you want to do the more technical and steeper stuff, get yourself the right bike, but don't think because you changed your bike, you will magically be better. Still work on those skills. There was a series of vids with Fabien Barel, that probably helped me more than anything else.

I'm a bit late to this thread, but need to add my experience. I always wanted to ride a mountain bike, but could never afford something good, so I never took that first step... That was untill 2 years ago. Bought a second hand dual suspension Silverback Slider. Its a 26er with 100mm travel. At first I hurt myself a few times, but never blamed the bike. I started doing more and more technical stuff with it (that was what I liked from day 1) and was getting reasonably good, but it always felt a bit jittery. I could also never hit the biggish stuff with any confidence.

So earlier this year, I got myself a brand new Trance 2 27.5. I immediately got faster up + down and started hitting bigger drops etc. At times too fast and I hurt myself a few times again. Realised if I wanted to stay out of the hospital, I really needed to up my skills. All I used was YouTube and then I focused on the things I learned there, during every ride. I haven't had an off in months now and I'm still getting faster.

In my opinion, skills and bike. That is all... If you want to do the more technical and steeper stuff, get yourself the right bike, but don't think because you changed your bike, you will magically be better. Still work on those skills. There was a series of vids with Fabien Barel, that probably helped me more than anything else.

Barel clips are great.....hell they even left me with a rugged French accent afterwards.

Skills are not learnt overnight, but is a progressive lesson

I'm currently rocking a 100mm Sid on a Cotic Bfe and while I would love more travel I'm using this opportunity to home some much needed skills, as I am a total noob on the trail!

Barel clips are great.....hell they even left me with a rugged French accent afterwards.

Skills are not learnt overnight, but is a progressive lesson

Agreed. At first you must constantly think about what you've learnt, what position your body is in, the settings on your bike and where you are going. Those are a lot of things for your brain to handle... Later, the first 3 things come naturally and you can focus on where you're going. Then you will automatically go faster.

There are 3 things though... Right bike, skills and fitness. Currently I'm working hard on my fitness up the hills. Did about 4000m elevation last week and planning to do more than 5000m this week :)

Skill comes with experience. The more you ride the better you become.

However all bikes have their limits. You can only push a machine that far. 

Shorted stem and wider bar will make a nice difference as it helps to get your weight further back for the technical descending. Second to that make sure your suspension is correctly setup. Proper sag, rebound and compression damping. If the bike is dialed in properly things start to come together. 

Keep at it, decide what you enjoy most about riding and upgrade your bike accordingly once you have the cash. 

Archived