Can skill make up for short travel and geometry??

Raydek

I think the ratings are:

Green - Go there with your grandma

Blue - Go there with a cyclocross bike

Black - Got to start thinking about what you are doing

Black Diamond - Need to have a squishy bike.

DH - Downhill trail

Most trails in and around Ctn are green or blue.

I don't think this always works though. If you compare Meerendal blue to Contermanskloof blue and Hoogekraal blue, Meerendal is by far easiest and Hoogekraal the most tricky.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't think this always works though. If you compare Meerendal blue to Contermanskloof blue and Hoogekraal blue, Meerendal is by far easiest and Hoogekraal the most tricky.

And pretty much all CT trails would be a double black by Gauteng standards... (generally speaking)

And pretty much all CT trails would be a double black by Gauteng standards... (generally speaking)

Hahaha....Spruit is double black! Check out the JUMA thread. Van Gaalen must be HC (Hors catégorie)

I would like to take exception to your comment Cap'n, but I'm afraid you might be right.

I would like to take exception to your comment Cap'n, but I'm afraid you might be right.

Heh. It's a comment based on Meurant's experience in a trail network up norff, where they put 3 downward facing black arrows (normally denoting an unseen drop of more than a metre in height) for a slightly loose hut flat corner.

We all LOL'd

Buy your dropper post in the meantime and improve your skills with that. You can always put it on the trail machine later.

Other options to trail-ify your XC rig: Shorter stem and wider bars, angled headset to slacken the geo by 1-1.5deg and fatter tires. You might not even want to go trail after that.

Buy your dropper post in the meantime and improve your skills with that. You can always put it on the trail machine later.

Other options to trail-ify your XC rig: Shorter stem and wider bars, angled headset to slacken the geo by 1-1.5deg and fatter tires. You might not even want to go trail after that.

Cool, got the rest so will look into the angled headset and shorter stem. Thanks, didn't think of that...

Cool, got the rest so will look into the angled headset and shorter stem. Thanks, didn't think of that...

Tried my angle headset out today,did not think 1.5 degrees would make a huge difference,but holy cow was I surprised.

Tried my angle headset out today,did not think 1.5 degrees would make a huge difference,but holy cow was I surprised.

Used to hate going down the steap stuff on my XTC 29r.  Made the changes and fitted a 180mm disc on the front and it made a huge difference.  My only gripe was that I slackened the head angle by 1 deg and instead of the 1.5.  It also dropped the BB slightly which made the bike a lot more stable.

For the life of me I don't understand why manufacturers still make 29r XC bikes with 71-72 degree head angles :thumbdown:

Honestly didn't even know that angled headsets existed.. How would I work out what angle my bike is currently?

Honestly didn't even know that angled headsets existed.. How would I work out what angle my bike is currently?

Google specs online and they go from there mine was 71degrees so now it's at 69.5 degrees and I stuck a shorter stem on. I am now saving for a Pike 140mm or 150mm which will slacken the angle even more.Have a 120mm now but want more.

Google specs online and they go from there mine was 71degrees so now it's at 69.5 degrees and I stuck a shorter stem on. I am now saving for a Pike 140mm or 150mm which will slacken the angle even more.Have a 120mm now but want more.

Unfortunately it's not a common bike, so online data is near non existent. Wonder how it could be calculated by measuring the bike?

Unfortunately it's not a common bike, so online data is near non existent. Wonder how it could be calculated by measuring the bike?

Yo Ray, the local agents should be able to give you the geo sheets. From seeing your bike I would say you have a 70deg head angle. ....But that is just a visual check and your bike was on the bike rack

Yo Ray, the local agents should be able to give you the geo sheets. From seeing your bike I would say you have a 70deg head angle. ....But that is just a visual check and your bike was on the bike rack

Cool, thx. Will get in touch with them..

Best place to get an angled headset?

And (to my surprise) I found the geometry specs on their website.. :blush:  :blush:

AXIS™ A20 FULL SUS 29ER

29"*19" Large

Head tube Angle ̊

69.5°

Head Tube Length

120mm

Top Tube Length horizontal

620mm

BB. Offset

- 50mm

BB. Height

320mm