Epic vs. Camber

WrightJnr

You can't compare those 2 to each other,very different type of bikes especially the when it comes to the numbers of the frames.

True.

The Camber (excluding EVO models) only has 10mm travel more than the Epic.

The Stumpy FSR starts off with 130mm travel, whereas the Enduro's start with 165mm of travel. 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

.......The only reason I would recommend an Epic if is you're a serious podium contender and seconds matter.......

Couldn't have said it better.

Think of all the time you will spend training and riding for fun with your mates and all the new places you will explore because your Camber lets you ride all day in comfort. Then think of how many races you were in where the Epic would have saved you enough seconds to get you on the podium.

I have a Carbon Camber 2014 very happy with my bike also had a 2013 X1 Anthem

I was advised by my LBS to buy Camber for the reasons mentioned above

Where do you ride? - Tokai

How often? 3-4 times a week

Races ?- plan to do 3-5 rides/races a year with 2-3 stage races

Do you feel you can finish top 10?? - AHH NO

Do you enjoy riding ST/Jeep tracks/Techical etc ??-- AHH YES

Then Camber is for you as the honest guys said at my LBS they cannot understand the EPIC obsession as the Epic is 15-20K more expensive and for what 10-20 minutes quicker 

Life is to short enjoy the ride enjoy the race enjoy your bike only 0.000000000000001% are pros I think its a case of wannabee pros or racers

I have a Carbon Camber 2014 very happy with my bike also had a 2013 X1 Anthem

I was advised by my LBS to buy Camber for the reasons mentioned above

Where do you ride? - Tokai

How often? 3-4 times a week

Races ?- plan to do 3-5 rides/races a year with 2-3 stage races

Do you feel you can finish top 10?? - AHH NO

Do you enjoy riding ST/Jeep tracks/Techical etc ??-- AHH YES

Then Camber is for you as the honest guys said at my LBS they cannot understand the EPIC obsession as the Epic is 15-20K more expensive and for what 10-20 minutes quicker 

Life is to short enjoy the ride enjoy the race enjoy your bike only 0.000000000000001% are pros I think its a case of wannabee pros or racers

The Epic is a good bike but it has become a bit of a image thing to own one.

I love my Epic because I want the easier option up the hills and on the flats... which it is designed for and which it gives me.

On the downhill technical stuff it is a little twitchy, but nothing that would make me consider anything else.

When I am in the saddle for 3+ hours I want as much assistance up those hills as I can get.

Was riding this morning against Santa Cruz, Anthems and Merida, was never behind on the tight trails.

I love to read everyone's opinions and what the want from their bikes. It makes life interesting and its sure is great that there is a bike out there for everyone. Lekker man, lekker.....

As my thread stated, I was also torn between the two.

Both great bikes,... BUT for the kind of riding I do, the Camber suits me perfectly.

I'm not interested in podiums because

a) I never race, I just ride (I stop to take too many photos to ride fast ^_^ )

b) I don't even think a motorized S-Works would help me onto even the lowest step :blush: 

but.. each to their own, a mate bought an Epic Elite after a test ride on an Expert at Van Gaalens in July and says it's the best bike he's ever ridden, loves it... but he's a racer :whistling:  

the BEST thing to do is spend some time in the saddle of both, not 5 mins around the block... a decent ride where you know the trail and know the feel of it on other bikes. :thumbup: 

I ride an Epic, but would probably get a Camber when I replace.....

Most of the chaps I have spoken too say the say thing.

Just an opinion.

I ride an Epic, but, honestly, the only reason I have the bike is because I picked it up second hand at a really good price. I am very happy with it, but, having said that, if I had bought new, I can't believe I would have been able to justify the price difference between the Camber and Epic.

Hi all, sorry if this has been covered before but my search function is faulty. Ok, maybe I don't know how to use it properly. If existing topic please just point me in the right direction.

Has anyone here gone from an Epic to a Camber? I've had a rock strike destroy my Epic frame and am now weighing up my options. Many seem to feel the Camber is the better bike for what most of us ride in SAF.

Epic good for longer distance dirt roads and flowing trails, its a fast bike with a more aerodynamic rider position. Camber more trail specific and your riding position is somewhat upright, therefore a bit of a more relaxed and slower ride that's good for tricky trails.

• 5 months later...

I have owned both and can say that the Camber is easier to ride well. However if you can ride well the epic is faster. 

Maybe not nice to say, but most people over estimate their riding ability... therefore, choose the Camber :-)

What I wanna know is how well does a Sworks FSR Stumpy do as a XC bike ?

( could I enter a few races with it, not to win, but be in the mid mix ? )

• 4 weeks later...

I ride an Epic, but would probably get a Camber when I replace.....

Most of the chaps I have spoken too say the say thing.

Just an opinion.

Me too

I'm an epic to camber converted. The sacrifice from speed is a small margin (negligible) compared to the massive comfort gains.

I've now done the epic and jober2c on my camber and must say this is still the best bike i've ridden.

Note .. not a brain fan... switch the camber to climb and she runs up the hills with the rest of them.

Archived