Dropper Post - Advice Needed

RobGD

Check at solomons, they had some Fox Doss dropper posts on special for R2300, think your size is what they had left, kif posts for the price. They were prepared to courier, try the Durban branch if there are none near you.

Edited by Skylark

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks for the further advice guys. Decided to not compromise and get something good.

Skylark, Ill call Solomons now, DOSS would be my absolute first choice if its the right diameter and length. Price sounds too cheap though? Ill call them and let you know.

Has anyone heard of and have some real opinions (based on experience or things you've heard from people who have used them) - of the brand Alero and specifically their dropper posts?

Thanks for the further advice guys. Decided to not compromise and get something good.

Skylark, Ill call Solomons now, DOSS would be my absolute first choice if its the right diameter and length. Price sounds too cheap though? Ill call them and let you know.

Has anyone heard of and have some real opinions (based on experience or things you've heard from people who have used them) - of the brand Alero and specifically their dropper posts?

One word. No.

That was quick, precise, to the point. Any reasons for the strong opinion on Alero?

Spoken to a couple of Solomons shops and all appear to be out of stock. Durban is going to try and source extras.

Shot guys...

That was quick, precise, to the point. Any reasons for the strong opinion on Alero?

Spoken to a couple of Solomons shops and all appear to be out of stock. Durban is going to try and source extras.

Shot guys...

Simply put, not tested and doesn't have as much local backup as the RS / Fox / KS posts. And, most of all, it looks as if it's a carbon copy of the older Crap Brothers posts. Which are pure, unadulterated sh**

I suppose backup, service does count for something..

Just an update on Solomons, they told me that apparently Fox are no longer marketing the droppers in SA and they managed to buy the last stock which is why they were going cheap. Just what they told me...

I went with the rockshox reverb stealth in November last year. Money well spent. It was not cheap but after that first ride I forgot about the price.

That came with the handle bar remote switch. Remember with the reverb you must tell them whether you want a left or right switch for the bar.

Simply put, not tested and doesn't have as much local backup as the RS / Fox / KS posts. And, most of all, it looks as if it's a carbon copy of the older Crap Brothers posts. Which are pure, unadulterated sh**

Would the Giant dropper work in this instance?

It is very good value for what you get.

I went with the rockshox reverb stealth in November last year. Money well spent. It was not cheap but after that first ride I forgot about the price.

That came with the handle bar remote switch. Remember with the reverb you must tell them whether you want a left or right switch for the bar.

Have to agree here, also got the reverb and it is the best money I have every spent.

CWC have said that they are due to receive a stock shipment soon and are going to have great specials, so maybe wait and look out for that...

Very good point about the which side switch you must request, but keep in mind that if you want to run the switch on top or underneath the bar then left becomes right and right becomes left. Default is above, so if you ask for a right lever it will be right when on top of the bar but left when under.

IMHO under on the left is better as I tend to shift a lot more with my right thumb and my left is left doing nothing, now it operates the dropper lever like second nature.. In the end the dropper becomes and extension of your body...

Not too fussy about which brand as long as the specs are right and as long as it is a good one (taken the advice of not going cheap).

Agree with left. I've only ridden with it on the left and above (on a friends bike), not below. Right doesn't make sense to me.

Ill keep an eye on CWC, thanks...

Not too fussy about which brand as long as the specs are right and as long as it is a good one (taken the advice of not going cheap).

Agree with left. I've only ridden with it on the left and above (on a friends bike), not below. Right doesn't make sense to me.

Ill keep an eye on CWC, thanks...

Just something else to think about, which I learnt from experience, on top means you need to extend your thumb further and it can get easily damaged in a fall compared to under.

Guest Omega Man

Just something else to think about, which I learnt from experience, on top means you need to extend your thumb further and it can get easily damaged in a fall compared to under.

Yes. Also when you turn your bike upside down to do some trailside maintenance your seat pops up and the bike bliksems over. Under the bar is a win. Or you can ghetto a front shifter.

Myles (And my mate Karl) have modded front shifters to act as remotes for KS posts. Great idea IMHO. I don't think you can do it on a RS post as those are hydraulic (I think)

Edited by Omega Man

Yes. Also when you turn your bike upside down to do some trailside maintenance your seat pops up and the bike bliksems over. Under the bar is a win. Or you can ghetto a front shifter.

Myles (And my mate Karl) have modded front shifters to act as remotes for KS posts. Great idea IMHO. I don't think you can do it on a RS post as those are hydraulic (I think)

Yip RS is hydraulic...

Shifter conversion idea is just cool!!!

XFusion does a dropper that has a cable remote for about R3k, if I didn't get my RS at a steal, then I would have bough the XFusion, have had good service from them and very happy with their shock on my bike..

I would have preferred cable over hydraulic just for the simplicity and not needing to bleed it.. And if something snags the cable on a trail/fail it is less likely to break, and if it does you can still operate it from under the seat.. 

And the remote on the XFusion is just cool... No left/right etc, just a little stick that you can mount anywhere and just clap when you need to...

http://www.xfusionshox.com/images/products/2014hilo125/hilo-125-2.jpg

Edited by Raydek

You have got some good advice above.

We sell KS dropper posts here at The Trailhead.

The entry level version, the Dropzone available for around R2.4k

The mid range Supernatural for about R3.3k

These both have cable actuation at the head of the post. This means cable moves with the saddle when you drop it. Bear in mind that we have been using that kind of system for years before stealth was invented. They work perfectly well.

Top of the range Lev has the hidden stealth cable and cable actuation from the seatclamp options but I won't scare you with the price. All the brands stealth options are pretty dear...

You have got some good advice above.

We sell KS dropper posts here at The Trailhead.

The entry level version, the Dropzone available for around R2.4k

The mid range Supernatural for about R3.3k

These both have cable actuation at the head of the post. This means cable moves with the saddle when you drop it. Bear in mind that we have been using that kind of system for years before stealth was invented. They work perfectly well.

Top of the range Lev has the hidden stealth cable and cable actuation from the seatclamp options but I won't scare you with the price. All the brands stealth options are pretty dear...

Is the dropzone you keep the lever actuated or the remote for 2.4?