Which TIG Welder

dev  null

I need some help selecting a TIG welder.

Currently looking at the Matweld MATTIG 200P AC/DC.  Also have an option to get the Thermamax TIG200P AC/DC.

Seems to be basically the same machine (from Ching) in another jacket.  Which of those 2 from experience provide the better service?  Both are MOSFET machines (darn it).  

I was also looking at the R-Tech POWERTIG 210EXT, but at R26k odd it is just a dream.  I won't even mention a Miller Dynasty.

Please chime in.  I am about to pull the trigger.

Edited by Moridin

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi Moridin, what do you want to weld with the machine? These are both 220volt welders. If you are looking at doing heavy duty welding then I would rather recommend a 250 amp 3 phase or 315 amp. Give me a call on 0833263432 and I will assist you as this is my ball game (23 years experience) Regards Duane

I need some help selecting a TIG welder.

Currently looking at the Matweld MATTIG 200P AC/DC.  Also have an option to get the Thermamax TIG200P AC/DC.

Seems to be basically the same machine (from Ching) in another jacket.  Which of those 2 from experience provide the better service?  Both are MOSFET machines (darn it).  

I was also looking at the R-Tech POWERTIG 210EXT, but at R26k odd it is just a dream.  I won't even mention a Miller Dynasty.

Please chime in.  I am about to pull the trigger.

Hi Moridin, what do you want to weld with the machine? These are both 220volt welders. If you are looking at doing heavy duty welding then I would rather recommend a 250 amp 3 phase or 315 amp. Give me a call on 0833263432 and I will assist you as this is my ball game (23 years experience) Regards Duane

Light jobs, mostly thin aluminium and stainless, and also normal steel.  Will call you in the morning.  Don't want to bother people in the evenings.  That's family time.  Basically I am an advanced weekend warrior.  Looked at 3-phase 380V to my home years ago, but the initial outlay was astronomical.

Edited by Moridin

Moridin. 

I am also interested in TIG welding. Mostly for aluminium 

Been doing DIY arch/stick  mild steel welding for years.

Have built my own camper, roof rack, bull-bars, bike rack and camping stuff.

But mild steel is just to heavy.   

But like you (I think) one would like to upgrade to TIG.

Please tell about your choice and why you chose it after you consulted with Schnoodle.

Thanks. 

Ah you see im not the only one ha ha... We can start a TIG welding school... if someone is willing to show us and we werent in 3 totally different places... 

Moridin. 

I am also interested in TIG welding. Mostly for aluminium 

Been doing DIY arch/stick  mild steel welding for years.

Have built my own camper, roof rack, bull-bars, bike rack and camping stuff.

But mild steel is just to heavy.   

But like you (I think) one would like to upgrade to TIG.

Please tell about your choice and why you chose it after you consulted with Schnoodle.

Thanks. 

To weld Alu you need to have a TIG welder that can do AC.  Generally this is to break the oxidation layer on Alu.  

Preferably you also want to be able to adjust the frequency of the AC wave.  This controls the focusing of your arc for working in tight spots.  A foot controller to control the amperage is also beneficial since Alu heats up a lot while you weld, causing the weld pool to grow bigger as you continue with your run.  So you want to back off on the amperage as you do your run.

Then you need pure Argon for the shielding gas, and Zirconiated Tungsten electrodes (white tips) that have a rounded tip.

The Thermomax (used to be Thermodyne) comes with a flow meter for the Argon and a foot pedal, where those will need to be purchased extra for the Matweld.   Both these machines use MOSFETs for their inverters, which is not ideal as IGBTs are more robust.  The R-Tech uses IGBTs, but are more than 2 times the price.  The Miller is generally regarded as the best you can get, but those are 2 times the price of the R-Tech or more, around R60k I think.

Edited by Moridin

BTW, the R-Tech is basically the same machine as the Everlast that you can get in the US and which is used on the Welding Tips and Tricks site and videos.  I see there is a link to an SA distributor, but either he is no more or is not active.  Would probably be priced the same as the R-Tech machines anyway.

Thanks for the info so far. 

I have researched some and nearly bought a Lincolin at one stage (think it was about 40k)

Was at the Lincolin demo and everything. 

Then the agent lost the import contract or something. So it is not available any more.

But then I heard I had to rent the Argon cylinder and that pissed me off. 

I saw in your answer in the other thread that the cylinder rent is not as expensive as I thought, so now I am planning again. 

I saw that one can get TIG/MIG units now for less then 7k, but what the deal if the Miller, Lincolin and R-Tech goes for 40-60k?

Like a Makro MTB vs Santa Cruz Talboy LT?  :thumbdown:

Like when I nearly bought a pipe bender for 4k . . . and when I explained to the sales person how I the thing to work and the pipe must not collapse at the bend ext, it turned out the one I want starts 33k and is hydraulic 

Edited by IH8MUD

Yes, Lincoln and Miller are good.  But machines like the R-Tech and Everlast are not bad either. For weekend warrior and hobby use though they are still too expensive, with the R-Tech being on the edge if you have the money.

Machines like the Thermamax though have been around a while though and for the money, good enough.  If it was outright crap they would not have lasted, the market would have sorted them out.  About 90% of all inverter based welder parts are manufactured in China anyway.

After having a chat with Schnoodle I am going to pull the trigger on the Thermamax.

Edited by Moridin

question, is there an entry level one i can consider, would like to learn or start doing my own little welding in around the house.

question, is there an entry level one i can consider, would like to learn or start doing my own little welding in around the house.

Meezo

Depends on what you want to do.  If you just going to do simple stuff with mild steel then a normal 160A to 200A Inverter Welder (R2000 - R4000) that support stick welding will do the job.   If you want to do some welds on thin sheet metal then a DC TIG (R3000 - R6000) is what you need.  If you then also want to do Aluminium then an AC/DC TIG (R1000 - ) is what you need.

You can do DC TIG with a cheaper Inverter by just swapping the polarities, but then then you just have very basic control of the arc and the gas, and you can't do Aluminium with it.

Edited by Moridin

BTW, I just carried my new shiny yellow machine into my garage/workshop/organised mess under a roof.

Thanks Schnoodle for the advice this morning over the phone. I am sure I made the right choice for my budget.

Edited by Moridin

• 1 year later...

I am also looking into getting a tig welder for some small things and was also looking at the Thermamax 200 ac/dc.

Its been a year now since your buy, any feedback on the machine or any advice?

I am also looking into getting a tig welder for some small things and was also looking at the Thermamax 200 ac/dc.

Its been a year now since your buy, any feedback on the machine or any advice?

Can't complain at all. Though I don't like the torch it comes with.  I ordered an aftermarket torch with a better trigger and smaller nozzle.  OK, but support for the better stuff is not great in SA.

And the costs and so for the argon gas, how is that turning out?

Really not bad at all.  R125 per month for the hire.  About double that for refill, which for weekend warriors might only happen once a year.