Which TIG Welder

dev  null

Can one not buy the bottle like a normal gas bottle and pay and exchange for a full one when empty?

Any hidden costs that you came across when buying the machine and getting started?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I do a fair bit of welding myself, I use a normal inverter but have looked at mig/tig welding as well. Post some pics of your machine if you do not mind please. Tnx

Can one not buy the bottle like a normal gas bottle and pay and exchange for a full one when empty?

Any hidden costs that you came across when buying the machine and getting started?

Not really.  Remember that the renting also includes the regulatory safety checks that needs to be done.  In general I would advise against it.   No other hidden costs, besides getting a proper set of TIG gloves.  And practice a lot, especially the wire feeding tecnique.

Cool, thanx for all the info.

Where did you buy from if i may ask?

Industrial Welding Supplies here in Somerset West.

Thanx!

When you have time post some pics of your welding progress over the last year, if you have any.

• 1 year later...

I need some help selecting a TIG welder.

Currently looking at the Matweld MATTIG 200P AC/DC.  Also have an option to get the Thermamax TIG200P AC/DC.

Seems to be basically the same machine (from Ching) in another jacket.  Which of those 2 from experience provide the better service?  Both are MOSFET machines (darn it).  

I was also looking at the R-Tech POWERTIG 210EXT, but at R26k odd it is just a dream.  I won't even mention a Miller Dynasty.

Please chime in.  I am about to pull the trigger.

Hi Moridin

I am in exactly the same position you were in, about to buy a Tig machine, but unsure of whether to choose the  Thermamax or the Matweld unit. They seem to be pretty much identical on paper, but maybe in practise they have some differences. My plan is to weld mainly aluminium, some stainless, with a bit of steel every now and then.

What made you choose the Thermamax unit, and are you happy with it?

Any advise would be appreciated, I am planning on the purchase in the new year.

Regards

Chris

If you have the money, this one rather: http://weld-tech.co.za/tig-200-ac-dc/, and if you have way too much money, this one: http://www.arcwelders.co.za/miller-dynasty-200sd-ac-dc-tig-welder/.

Else the Thermamax is usually slightly cheaper with the same internals as the Matweld.

You forgot about the Lincoln Electric Squarewave 200 - Nice toy - not for free unfortunately.

It has a few synergistic features that make life easier for amateur welders.

The downside of tig is it's really a sit down and focus model of work for those that have good fine motor skills.

You forgot about the Lincoln Electric Squarewave 200 - Nice toy - not for free unfortunately.

It has a few synergistic features that make life easier for amateur welders.

The downside of tig is it's really a sit down and focus model of work for those that have good fine motor skills.

Oh yes. Forgot about the Lincoln. Unfortunately, as with the Miller, only for the doctors and lawyers with a love for metal work on the weekends.  :mellow:

Been in the welding industry for 26 years repairing welding mcs. A welding machine is only as good as the back up available. Miller is good but afrox are piss poor when it comes to backup. Same as the Lincoln. They do not keep all the pc boards in stock, so u can expect to wait 6 to 10 weeks for parts. Also they are forking expensive to repair when they are out of their warranty. I have quotes on lincolns at R28k and that is half the quote. I have never heard of the other place. Thermamax would be your best bet as they usually have all the pc boards in stock. Also buy the right machine for the right job. I recently had a customer who was told he could weld mag wheels with a 200 acdc 220v , it didnt happen and the asshole who sold it refuses to take it back. Duty cycle and after sales are the key things to look at

Oh yes. Forgot about the Lincoln. Unfortunately, as with the Miller, only for the doctors and lawyers with a love for metal work on the weekends. :mellow:

well... it has been borrowed by a noted local frame builder for a repair...???? clearly he has more aluminium skills than I do.

Slightly off topic...

There someplace in GP where one can do a welding course? I love welding, (weekend warrior) and have one of those inverter jobbies, but can get a TIG at a really good price...

But I need to get some proper skills... (my (then future) father-in-law taught me welding over a December holiday some 35 years ago... must say, the "skaapkraal's" I welded then are still standing)

Slightly off topic...

There someplace in GP where one can do a welding course? I love welding, (weekend warrior) and have one of those inverter jobbies, but can get a TIG at a really good price...

But I need to get some proper skills... (my (then future) father-in-law taught me welding over a December holiday some 35 years ago... must say, the "skaapkraal's" I welded then are still standing)

This is one thing where practice makes perfect. A few tips:

1. Always weld with a dry electrode if you are doing normal stick welding.

2. Don't be afraid to make contact and keep contact. It is those starts and stops when you get a fright when the arc forms that is the cause of bird crap (voeltjiekak as my teacher called it).

3. The most difficult time to get an arc to form is with a new electrode. We used to grind the point square to get rid of the bare metal point sticking out.

4. If you overheat an electrode when it sticks, it is usually stuffed. Chuck it. Or find a way to cut it shorter without breaking the flux around the electrode.

5. Get a good helmet. I woke up more times that I care to remember with the beach in my eyes.