Collarbone plate removal

i Have had my plate in for almost two years. I'm leaving it in. I have been told that it will be as strong as hell in  a fall. BUT, you need to have a really, really bad fall on the same side to damage stuff on either side of the plate.

I still battle to sleep on the bad shoulder after two years. If i sleep on the good shoulder i need to use two pillows to prop up the bad shoulder so gravity does not cause that throbbing pain at night.

Also i am closing in on 50 so not sure if this is a bone you want to break teetering on the brink of ''balliedom''.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I had a hook plate for a seperated shoulder and had it removed after 3 months. Raced bmx 6 days after removal and no problems at all.

Look what happened to Kevin Evans when he fell in the Epic and broke the Color bone with the plate in. Doc said that it messed up worse since he still had the plate.

Not a good idea to keep it in if the Doc is saying to remove it because of how it is fitted and its location.

Just ask KE

Plate been in 4 months now, and is uncomfortable at times but more in grow way when I touch it.

Has ruined my golf swing, but that just means more time for riding my bike :)

Look what happened to Kevin Evans when he fell in the Epic and broke the Color bone with the plate in. Doc said that it messed up worse since he still had the plate.

Not a good idea to keep it in if the Doc is saying to remove it because of how it is fitted and its location.

Just ask KE

Who is Kevin Evans?

Had mine in for over 2 years.... Dr Kastanos put the plate in and it feels really good. I have had a couple falls with no issues.

He does however also recommend that I take it out at some point. I am just hesitant because I have heard the recovery takes some time and that the holes in the bone take 6 months to fill and is therefore weaker for that length of time. In my mind that is just inviting another break?

I broke my collarbone in two places, the rule of thirds as the Dr. called it, you either generally break it in the first or second third of the bone, i broke it at both points in one direct compression. Dr. also advised that I should look to take it out as a similar fall would do a lot more damage with the plate in, which is one long plate with seven screws, the length of the collarbone. Dr. advised that it would heal within 6-10 weeks of removal. Still haven't done it as yet 'cause I can't find a 10 week schedule in the year where I don't want to ride. Now had it for close on two years, but i think it must be done. especially if you're an aggressive all mountain type of rider like myself

I broke my collarbone in two places, the rule of thirds as the Dr. called it, you either generally break it in the first or second third of the bone, i broke it at both points in one direct compression. Dr. also advised that I should look to take it out as a similar fall would do a lot more damage with the plate in, which is one long plate with seven screws, the length of the collarbone. Dr. advised that it would heal within 6-10 weeks of removal. Still haven't done it as yet 'cause I can't find a 10 week schedule in the year where I don't want to ride. Now had it for close on two years, but i think it must be done. especially if you're an aggressive all mountain type of rider like myself

Same here... When do I plan on not riding for 10 weeks?

Same here... When do I plan on not riding for 10 weeks?

Nobody ever wants to not ride for 10 weeks...but I'd rather factor in the removal when it is ready than keep it and potentially do worse damage if something happens...

i Have had my plate in for almost two years. I'm leaving it in. I have been told that it will be as strong as hell in  a fall. BUT, you need to have a really, really bad fall on the same side to damage stuff on either side of the plate.

I still battle to sleep on the bad shoulder after two years. If i sleep on the good shoulder i need to use two pillows to prop up the bad shoulder so gravity does not cause that throbbing pain at night.

Also i am closing in on 50 so not sure if this is a bone you want to break teetering on the brink of ''balliedom''.

Get an ultrasound of your rotator cuff. Often injured at the same time. Very common after 40. Several options available. Pain is a bad option.

Why remove it?

My doc says that out of the hundreds of clavicle plates he has put in he has only removed 3.

I have had 3 collarbone breaks, 1 right, 2 left. Broke left side again 2 years after 1st op with plate still in place, snapped at 1st screw but this actually created a nice ledge/ splint and we simply(and painfully) pushed it back in place and it healed without an op. Doc took this plate out after 1 years whilst he was installing the 3nd one in the right hand side.I have kept it as a spare for the next time  :whistling: and will only remove the other side then. It does bug me though if i wear a heavy rucksack/ harness or piggy back/rough play with the kids and i reckon that a safety belt will push the screws through if i have an accident. And no, I don`t have soft bones, just a lot of weight to stop `suddenly` and I tend to outride my skills sometrimes.

Thank you for the input.

I went ahead and had the plate removed 2 days ago.  I must say the removal is relatively pain-free compared to have the plate in, and the recovery so far is a breeze.  The surgeon had a good look at the bone and told me that the collarbone is nice and strong and I can resume my activities. 

I think I will just play safe and ride very carefully for the next 6-8 weeks…

Very interesting topic! Have had mine in for 4 years after accident, pretty much splintering bone. Got same advice to have removed or risk very bad fracture. Although, have fallen on it badly a few times, no issues. Heard the same horror stories about breaking it immediately after removal. Except for seatbelt no other real issues. Decided to keep it in!

Eish! Reading this gives me the shivers. I have 6 levels fused in my spine with a bunch of rods and screws. All flex takes place above or below. Combination of a fall and low bone density. A big enough crash will either paralyse or kill me.

Think I should uninstall Strava 'cos it is tempting me to ride faster than I should.

Difficult to decide if I should have all the metalwork removed. Surgery risk and long recovery vs. possible worse consequences if I leave it in ????

Edited by JXV