UCI Rule regarding race finnishes

Team SL

What is the rule regarding the finnish of a race?

Is the D2D finnish accepatable according to the rules, i am sure there are other races that also have tricky endings like the Telkom Satelite maybe the Carousel?

I dont know the rules and would like to have an answer to this 

There is a 150m rule for safety of the finishers.  Some races need to have tricky finishes to make them interesting.  Why shouldn't the guy who can handle his bike best through a tight corner be the guy that wins the race.

Agreed Linnega . Wheel sucking should not be the only skill required to win a race .LOL And with that words of wisdom I shall disappear now .

Fatty, thats easy - if you don't want to come down in the last corner don't race through it.

1000m would make no sense as in that distance you can have an attack, bring the attack back, have someone open the sprint too early, get swallowed up and the second wave of sprinters competes for the line and a guys sucking their wheel comes through and snatches it at the death.  That is almost what happened yesterday in the last 650m in Madrid, except Zabel was able to hold off a fast finishing Hushovd.

A zone of at least 150 metres before and 50 metres after the finish line will be protected by barriers.

It will be accessible only to those working for the organisation, the riders, the paramedical assistants,

the team managers and accredited press.

The zone before the finish line will be protected by barriers from the beginning of the final corner, if

the length of the finishing straight is less than 300 metres.

Does it say anything about the minimum required IQ of marshals?  I wasn't there but it sounds like you guys had a few dim bulbs hanging around on the corners on Sunday?

7 Finish

Finishing line

The finishing line shall comprise a line of 4 cm in width, painted in black on a white strip 72 cm

wide thus leaving 34 cm of white on each side of the black line.

For Mountain Bike it must

be 20 cm, thus leaving 8 cm on each side of the black line.

(text modified on 1.01.04).

A rider shall have finished at the moment when the tubular/tyre of the front wheel touches the vertical

plane rising from the starting edge of the finishing line. Nevertheless, the photo-finish shall

always be decisive.

In road time trial races, in track races

and in mountain bike races the finish may also be determined

by the contact of the tubular

/tyre of the front wheel with an electronic timing strip on the finish line.

For mountain bike events, the finish may also be determined by other electronic

means such as photo-electric cells.

(text modified on 1.01.00; 1.01.04).

Except for track races, a streamer bearing the word ?FINISH? shall be suspended over the finishing

line, stretching across the road or the circuit. Should the streamer have disappeared or been damaged,

the finishing line shall be indicated by a black and white chequered flag. Such a flag shall also

be used for any finish or for the passing of any intermediate point for a classification as well as at

the top of mountain passes during road races.

(N) Photo-finish with an electronic timing tape shall be mandatory.