Basso - too strong to be true...........

widget

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay' date=' I'm just trying to put numbers into context.

[/quote']

No worries - now how about some of yours Big%20smile

That dome to dome file would be good to look at (well done on a bloody good ride)

Mail it to me if you are willing ?

Don't mind publishing.

For Dome2Dome I had NP = 303 watts, 2h57.  My current weight is 77kg.

Not that impressive.  My strength is my short term power - VO2Max stuff which enables me to handle the surges.  My training at the moment is focused around improving ftp.  Difficult to tell my numbers because I never ride 60min flat out, but my goal for this season is 4.5w/kg (am currently just over 4w/kg.

Still a babe at this sport - only 2 years now.

Don't mind publishing.

For Dome2Dome I had NP = 303 watts' date=' 2h57.  My current weight is 77kg.

Not that impressive.  My strength is my short term power - VO2Max stuff which enables me to handle the surges.  My training at the moment is focused around improving ftp.  Difficult to tell my numbers because I never ride 60min flat out, but my goal for this season is 4.5w/kg (am currently just over 4w/kg.

[/quote']

Pretty good power for that duration - what was peak 20 min NP ?

You must be at ~350w FTP if you can hold 303 for 3 hours

Just had a look at the data now:

Peak 20 min NP = 330

Peak 60 min NP = 320

The break happened early in the race and then it was TT until the end.  Overall VI for the ride was 1.28.

I suspect I am under estimating ftp a bit - IF for the race was 1.012 over 3 hours!!

Last time I tested myself was 5 weeks ago, and have had 4 weeks pretty good hard training.

I have seen 5.1 w//kg from local top amateurs in real data and suspect there are riders out there up to around 5.4w/kg (at threshold)

[/Quote]

Hmmm .... and some of us "weekend warriors" are ecstatic about our 3.5w/kg for the Red Hill ride  Cry

Well thats not too shabby - I was at 4w/kg up Red hill but got dropped so there are certainly some SV riders at 5w/kg at the moment.

Just got to keep working at it - if you can get to 4.1 + then you will be ok Big%20smile

Bikemax' date=' are you guys referring to the overall ride, or the Redhill climb?  Over what time period are these numbers?
[/quote']

I was refering to my figures for the full 60km ride i.e. 3.5w/kg

For interest, I think Bikemax mentioned elsewhere that the difference between the first climb and second climb was about 5% - spot on for me so I guess I wasn't slacking second time round.

First climb was 4.05 w/kg (got dropped by main vets bunch)

Second climb was 3.85 w/kg (and still Ms Tome had 50m on me as we crested Cry)

Half of the fun of training with power is analysing the numbers after the ride - or maybe I'm just a bike geekWink

Windbreaker2006-09-20 12:07:57

Don't mind publishing.

[/quote']

Whaddaya mean not that impressive?? Tongue

Are you using CyclingPeaks software?

If so then set up a chart with the bins at 10w "wide" for the D2D and a couple of your recent hard training rides. You should clearly see a large drop from one bin to the next (on the downward slope side of the chart) indicating the FTP. Using the average value from a few recent hard rides will give you a good indication of your FTP.

I would agree with Bikemax that you should be pretty close to 350w and your 4.5w/kg goal.

I suspect I am under estimating ftp a bit - IF for the race was 1.012 over 3 hours!!

Last time I tested myself was 5 weeks ago' date=' and have had 4 weeks pretty good hard training.
[/quote']

LOL Even for an hour, anything over 1 for IF indicates an understated FTP - so for 3 hours you are way off.

I reckon you must have a flat TT like power curve if your max 20 is 330 and 3 hours is 303 !

Would be worth doing at the very least a full on fresh 20 min effort and see if you can get 360+  I estimate you could hold 360/365 for 20 mins and would put FTP at ~340-350w

Or - go for a full 60 min full TT test - loads of fun Big%20smile

With this figure as understated as you have it, your training is too easy...and to raise that FTP you need to be a bit nearer your true FTP

Don't mind publishing.

[/quote']

Whaddaya mean not that impressive?? Tongue

Are you using CyclingPeaks software?

If so then set up a chart with the bins at 10w "wide" for the D2D and a couple of your recent hard training rides. You should clearly see a large drop from one bin to the next (on the downward slope side of the chart) indicating the FTP. Using the average value from a few recent hard rides will give you a good indication of your FTP.

I would agree with Bikemax that you should be pretty close to 350w and your 4.5w/kg goal.

You after a job or something LOL

Last time I tested myself was 5 weeks ago' date=' and have had 4 weeks pretty good hard training.
[/quote']

LOL Even for an hour, anything over 1 for IF indicates an understated FTP - so for 3 hours you are way off.

I reckon you must have a flat TT like power curve if your max 20 is 330 and 3 hours is 303 !

Would be worth doing at the very least a full on fresh 20 min effort and see if you can get 360+  I estimate you could hold 360/365 for 20 mins and would put FTP at ~340-350w

With this figure as understated as you have it, your training is too easy...and to raise that FTP you need to be a bit nearer your true FTP

Yep, you've been slacking! So for punishment I think that you should go out and do that 60m TT anyway!!  Big%20smile

[/quote']

Yep, you've been slacking! So for punishment I think that you should go out and do that 60m TT anyway!!  Big%20smile

Yeah...go do it and then post the results for the armchair critics to analyse Wink

Hmmmnnn, seems like you guys are right on the money.

Just made a power graph of the D2D race, big drop from the 350-360 bin to the 360-370 bin.

Can't figure out how to upload a picture on the new forum software for you to see.

Oh no, just realised I've got pyramid intervals tomorrow morning and I need to crank up the watts a bit - could we not have had this conversation tomorrow instead of today Ouch

Hey Bruce what sensor are you using for interest sake?

Powertap Pro for training, SL (in Zipp 404 tubbies) for racing.