Ironman 70.3 Durban

JScottP

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you could body surf those waves would take 2 minutes off your swim time. If you got dumped add 2 minutes. Looks fun.

Ummmm......YES!

Hahaha…  Should've watermarked my photos, seems to have made their rounds after they were posted on FB/The Hub…  Even Ironman posted one of mine on their FB page..

If you could body surf those waves would take 2 minutes off your swim time. If you got dumped add 2 minutes. Looks fun.

I think everyone is in the dumped category... everyone was flailing around like drunkards coming out .... 

once IM open rego for 2016, I predict this one to sell out within a month.

I think everyone is in the dumped category... everyone was flailing around like drunkards coming out .... 

once IM open rego for 2016, I predict this one to sell out within a month.

Waves look PERFECT for a body-surf! Love it when they're pumping like that - so easy to get in to the shore.... 

Couple of hours spent practicing body surfing the week before will be the best gains you can make to your overall time with minimal effort.

Seems a number of people spoke about cramps in the surf. I know I have often had cramps when the sand at the end of the swim is very soft or mud that sucks you in. Need to find some sort of training drill to prevent this.

Couple of hours spent practicing body surfing the week before will be the best gains you can make to your overall time with minimal effort.

Seems a number of people spoke about cramps in the surf. I know I have often had cramps when the sand at the end of the swim is very soft or mud that sucks you in. Need to find some sort of training drill to prevent this.

Running in the sand. That's the only way.

I thought the swim was ok even with the waves and getting dumped (lost my goggles and almost my cap)

Will be in for 2016  :thumbup:

Good first outing for a new Ironman in SA. Had my reservations about the new swim start as it would benefit the non swimmers but standing on the beach there wasn't much tension and can see the benefits even a fast swimmer will have more open water. I made contact twice in the swim which is great. Thought it was all over when turning to home but we know what happened there with most of us.

The bike was nice and fast, but lots of drafting, some intentional others a cause of the route and the amount of participants.

The run was tougher than expected but a lot around to keep one interested in the sights.

The crowd was a bit different, some nutters around and think they started loosing interest after a couple of hours. Also the refs were more lenient and saw a couple of incidents, which would have been carded in previous years, just getting shouted at. A ref even shouted encouragement.

Think this event will grow and liked the more chilled Durban vibe

Tell you, I completely under estimated this event. on paper it looked by far the easiest half distance I would do...in reality it was tougher than any other and today I am still far more sore than after ironman. Coming out of the ocean I suffered severe cramps which casued problems on the cycle and run. Am surprised by the high attrition rate though.

All in all a huge success, will be back in 2016...just need to figure out how to avoid the cramps in high seas....

I had the elevation at 949 metres which seems way too high ....anyone else have a different figure?

thanks

Measured 587m assent with Garmin 920XT It felt close to that. A nice and fast course. Did a 2:40 compare to a 3:35 in East London. East London a much toughter course in my opinion excluding the heat and wind this year.

Measured 587m assent with Garmin 920XT It felt close to that. A nice and fast course. Did a 2:40 compare to a 3:35 in East London. East London a much toughter course in my opinion excluding the heat and wind this year.

If I look at various STrava activities, the bike course registered anywhere from 614 metres to 1130 metres....I thought Strava would have the definitive response but clearly it does not. I agree it felt less than the 949 I recorded though

Archived