Cyclocross Tyres (where to buy)

igg

Does anyone know what's available in South Africa and where I can find them (I'm in Fourways)?

So far every bike store I've asked doesn't stock them.

I seem to be a devil thorn magnet and am flatting tyres on almost every ride, so I'm looking into tubeless. This necessitates me changing what I currently have (conti cx speed) as the sidewalls are apparently thin and porous. It looks like I might be stuck importing tyres though?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. 

We can also supply some - let me know what you are looking for.

I'm specifically looking for tubeless compatible tyres: 700c x 30/35. Brand/tread pattern isn't too important at this stage as I'm just looking to do casual trail riding with them (where I keep picking up thorns).

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. 

I'm specifically looking for tubeless compatible tyres: 700c x 30/35. Brand/tread pattern isn't too important at this stage as I'm just looking to do casual trail riding with them (where I keep picking up thorns).

Try set up your existing tires tubeless - I do this with mtb tires for training all the time - works just fine with non tubeless tires with no sidewall protection...

It's anyway a cheap experiment... :)

Try set up your existing tires tubeless - I do this with mtb tires for training all the time - works just fine with non tubeless tires with no sidewall protection...

It's anyway a cheap experiment... :)

From what I've read online, my current tyres are thin and leaky as hell and my inspection of them seems to confirm this. So, I'm thinking I'm likely going to just waste a bunch of sealant.

If I can find cheap enough sealant I'll certainly give it a bash though; rims are Mavic Kysium, so no need for taping unless I need to build it up a bit.

From what I've read online, my current tyres are thin and leaky as hell and my inspection of them seems to confirm this. So, I'm thinking I'm likely going to just waste a bunch of sealant.

If I can find cheap enough sealant I'll certainly give it a bash though; rims are Mavic Kysium, so no need for taping unless I need to build it up a bit.

try with about 30ml of sealant per - cheap enough - they also say you can't use an ordinary rocket ron - but you can - works fine - the sealant seals any little holes just fine - if the tires have existing thorn holes then you might need to plug those pretty quickly.

If you are in jhb I am willing to waste some of my stans in your tires just to see if it works. :)

try with about 30ml of sealant per - cheap enough - they also say you can't use an ordinary rocket ron - but you can - works fine - the sealant seals any little holes just fine - if the tires have existing thorn holes then you might need to plug those pretty quickly.

If you are in jhb I am willing to waste some of my stans in your tires just to see if it works. :)

Thanks for the offer, but I went out and bought everything this afternoon to give it a try with my current set.

I used a single strip of gorilla tape to build the centre up a bit, put the tyre on, put soapy water all around the bead and almost give myself a hernia using a floor pump (no compressor) to get it to seat. Turns out my bead leaks around the entire rim on both sides.

I then popped a bit of the bead off, added 80ml of Stan's and pumped it up again; lots of Stan's bubbled out the bead. I only finished 30 mins ago, but it appears to have sealed and isn't presently leaking any air.

I guess the trick now is to leave it overnight and see if I can burp the tyre before I trust it. Bike + me + gear is around 90kg.

Does anyone know what's available in South Africa and where I can find them (I'm in Fourways)?

So far every bike store I've asked doesn't stock them.

I seem to be a devil thorn magnet and am flatting tyres on almost every ride, so I'm looking into tubeless. This necessitates me changing what I currently have (conti cx speed) as the sidewalls are apparently thin and porous. It looks like I might be stuck importing tyres though?

I am running tubeless Conti's that Josh at cyclists Workshop got for me.

I also got a set from the Specialized Concept Store in Cedar, but they are a bit radical and quite a large block grip. Specialized make a lot of nice tubeless CX tires which the local distributors are starting to import.

I run the Conti's tubeless using Stan's.

Thanks for the offer, but I went out and bought everything this afternoon to give it a try with my current set.

I used a single strip of gorilla tape to build the centre up a bit, put the tyre on, put soapy water all around the bead and almost give myself a hernia using a floor pump (no compressor) to get it to seat. Turns out my bead leaks around the entire rim on both sides.

I then popped a bit of the bead off, added 80ml of Stan's and pumped it up again; lots of Stan's bubbled out the bead. I only finished 30 mins ago, but it appears to have sealed and isn't presently leaking any air.

I guess the trick now is to leave it overnight and see if I can burp the tyre before I trust it. Bike + me + gear is around 90kg.

On a new tire I sometimes wipe the sealing surface of the tire with some stans before trying to seat the tire on the rim - this seals the small leaks almost before they start. (but you have to wash the wheel after pretty quickly or it gets messy)

I also use a compressor - and take the valve out before trying to seat it - this also means you can add sealant via the valve without breaking the seal - but I don't generally do it that way because I want to see how much sealant is left in the tire, so I break a small section of seal and add sealant that way. Just make sure the valve is at the top when there is sealant in the tire... especially if you have the valve body out.....

Any way - looks like you are good to go.... :)

• 11 months later...

Anyone know a shop that currently stocks CX tyres in JHB. I've phoned around and can't seem to track any down.

Seriously, give On One tyres a look.  They work lekker tubeless and come in two different sizes.  I certainly am not disappointed in them as tubeless.

My 2c 

Archived