Back pain, where to start?

kolaval

Hi

I need some advice on back pain.

I did the 30km dualx on Saturday and almost gave up half way because my back started hurting unbearably.

I have experienced this before when riding bumpy trails, but not on tar. About 15km in and my back is done. It hurts just below my shoulder blades.

I'm fine with running and cross training.

I have never gone for a bike setup so do

would that be the first step? Or do I go see a doctor or chiropractor?

And where do I find them in Centurion?

Definitely a bike setup, especially as you say you've never done one. You could be way off......

Do lots of core training...as your legs become stronger..and not your back..so get it in balance..easy..hehe

the place to start is your back....

get that issue sorted out first.

Pain below the shoulder blades is indicative of being too stretched out on the bike so go for a proper bike fit....

No no no how archaic of me. damn ludite........you need wider bars and a 60mm stem :ph34r:

Excuse me for intervening, but I also struggle with back pain even off the bike.

I have constant intense low back pain, it feels more centered around my bumbones. Apparently my hamstrings pull on my hips and cause this, so stretching is the key according to a physio.

Thing is it is a schlep stretching for 30mins prior and another 30mins after riding. I like to ride trails with short intense climbs and descents, so its basically chill riding with these intense sections in between. I am really in pain 80% of the time I am awake, I will go see another physio next week to get a 2nd opinion. Dry needle therapy did not work very well at the first physio.

Does anyone else have/had the same problem? How did you remedy it?

Excuse me OP for hijacking.  :ph34r:

1. Bike Set Up - do it properly with someone like BikeFit or Spez and tell them about your back problem;

2. Go see a PHYSIOTHERAPIST specializing in backs and necks (a GP/chiro/massage therapist can't help, as they simply don't have the training) for a DIAGNOSIS and proper soft-tissue TREATMENT (a good physio needs about 3 sessions to "fix" a back);

3. Start with a proper core programme at LEAST 3 TIMES per week - kettlebells may also help but you need training to do them properly and not further injure yourself. Take note that you want to strengthen the BACK of your core and not just the abs.

4. Get a new mattress at home and a proper ergonomic chair at work;

5. Listen to your body - if you start getting referred pain (i.e. in your hands, feet, down back of legs etc) and it gets worse, STOP.