How much is too much training

Dazshell

I am sure there must be a thread about this already but maybe someone can give a quick answer.

I've been riding for 2 years.  Finally getting down to what should be a sub-3.30 CTCT on my third attempt.   I'm now averaging 250 - 270kms a week, 3 x 40's in the week, 1 x 80-100 Sat and 1 x 50-70 Sun.  Rest days are Monday and Friday.  However the harder I train the more shattered my legs feel.  Am I really building strength with all this training?

Is this too much?  Should I be having a rest day on Wednesday too? 

I plan to keep going this hard until after Midmar-Notts on 22 Feb and then start tapering off until my bike leaves for CT on 4 March. 

With the tapering off, will my legs recover enough for the CTCT?

Such a broad topic with so many "it depends"...  But a quick and simplified answer is:  Establish your resting heart rate.  If it's slightly elevated ie 5 beats higher or so from the previous days training, no problem train again.  If it's highly elevated ie 10 beats plus, then you need to recover.  Note:  This is just a rough guideline as each individual will vary.

I have also been wondering the same thing about over training.

My schedule looks pretty much the same as yours so I know what you mean when you say your legs are shattered and you wonder if you are actually building any strength....

I have heard about the heart rate elevation which is a good indication to get some rest.

Whats your diet like? Nutrition while training is very important. Your body takes plenty strain and uses a lot of resources. Your immune system can also get low. Its important to replace what you've used.

That is my short fall unfortunately.......... Diet does not exist!

Bearly enough time to cycle yet alone to prepare meals for everyday. :(

It depends on how hard ur ridings are.

not only distance is important but also intensity is very important;)

I have a powermeter it showes me what kind of riding i do :)

And i try to keep over power 3zone.

So now u need a powermeter:p

One of the most important things about training is resting. This is when the actual changes (improvements) in your body occurs. Joe Friel in a Cyclists training bible (and other books) recommends hard days and light days plus off days during the week, a rest week every 3-5 weeks, and a rest part of the season. In other words, there should be different types of rest at different intervals during your training season.

Whats your diet like? Nutrition while training is very important. Your body takes plenty strain and uses a lot of resources. Your immune system can also get low. Its important to replace what you've used.

Diet is good but very low carbs and also low fats.  I don't trust the LCHF diet.  Possible don't drink enough but I do hydrate well during the day and also try and finish a bottle of Evox Carbo Vitargo during the day.

To add to that, he says that one of the biggest problems he observes is athletes train too hard on their light days. This means they are too tired for their hard days, and all sessions become mediocre.

A simple test to assess your recovery process is to check your HR on awakening in the morning.

If it is higher than usual (determine this over time as well), then dont' go hard that day.

Other methods to recover:

Power nap in the afternoon (20-30 mins)

Foam roller

Stretching

Light, low resistance spins

A simple test to assess your recovery process is to check your HR on awakening in the morning.

If it is higher than usual (determine this over time as well), then dont' go hard that day.

So basically you can train everyday? Just depends on intensity?

So basically you can train everyday? Just depends on intensity?

Not recommended.

Rest days recuperate the body AND the mind.

Mental fatique can deteriorate performance too.

An a related note,

FITNESS + FRESHNESS = RACING FORM

Managing both is that fine fine balance, :excl:

Your training plan does not look bad. The trick is before events you want to do well in take 2 to 3 days off the bike before that event! Depending on the person and what most people do is a short ride the day before the event with 1 or 2 short sprints / openers - then your rest would start 4 days before a big event! Note this is for your event you want to get top results in and cannot be done every week for every event!

Not recommended.

Rest days recuperate the body AND the mind.

Mental fatique can deteriorate performance too.

An a related note,

FITNESS + FRESHNESS = RACING FORM

Managing both is that fine fine balance, :excl:

Makes sense... :thumbup:

Archived