Cyclist down in Camps Bay

VeloRacer

EXCEPT when there is a dedicated cycle lane. 

A cyclist came 'speeding' inbetween the middle of the 2 lanes of traffic on Marine Drive close to Woodbridge Island heading into town. This is in peak traffic (+- 7:20am), when there is a perfectly good cycle lane right next to the road. What an idiot. 

Of course he / she is an idiot for doing that, but we were actually talking about the attitude of motorist and how to educate them

Why then come and slate a cyclist? 

Every time someone brings up what a bus or car is/has been doing wrong someone will post something like this.

I just don't understand it.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm afraid all the awareness rides won't change motorist attitudes until we have some convictions. Let's start with golden arrow and my citi

The only way this works out well is when the law sides with cyclists and pedestrians by providing absolute protection. If a car hits a pedestrian or cyclist then they are assumed guilty and can spend the weekend in a cell with a 28

Exactly, motorist will see the "Awareness ride" as just another race to irritate them this time of the year.

Motorist need to be educated that cyclist have a RIGHT and by law are required to use the road (if no cycle lane bla bla)

I've thought for 19 hours on how to answer you in a simple yes or no as clearly your common sense cannot read between the lines.  So I'll spell it out for you.

PPA has arranged this ride in a part of Cape Town that has no other organised rides apart from the CTCT, has paid the traffic department for their attendance, has bike marshals in attendance, has a paid safety officer, has sign off from the authorities as required by law, has water points and medical staff. So PPA has treated this Awareness Ride as a full blown event. But it's not timed. And it's completely free.  All that is asked is that the participants wear the new PPA STAY WIDER OF THE RIDER lumo jersey to show a united campaign.

Would you join, say, the 99er and ride with a racing bunch that has paid to enter the event without actually entering yourself?  Nothing stops you doing this, except your conscience,

Put you money where you mouth is, do something positive to show you support the campaign to increase motorist's awareness of giving cyclists more respect on the road.  How do you honestly expect motorists to respect us cyclists if you want to join the launch ride for the "Stay wider of the rider" Safe Cycling Initiative but want to undermine it by not wearing the same jersey as 500 other participants to show a united front?

The fact that this conversation is taking place on a thread about the late 70 year old Roy Smith shows how much work still needs to be done.  Every death of a cyclist on our roads in unacceptable. My team and I are trying to something about that so that we don't need threads like this.

Thanks for the reply. How does a rider undermine the event / campaign by not riding in the PPA jersey? I get the sense the obsession with riding in a PPA jersey is a marketing ploy to sell the new jersey. I don't even like yellow :whistling: . Safe cycling

Guys this thread has been/is moving away from the topic of the cyclist who had his life taken while out cycling.

The mod team have let this topic continue in the way it has as it has been constructive and valuable. However, it is now moving in the direction of becoming slightly personal and going to far away from the centre line.

Stop the personal jibes. Also perhaps start another thread about cycling safety and safety lanes.

If this thread continues to move to far away from the OP it will be closed.

I've thought for 19 hours on how to answer you in a simple yes or no as clearly your common sense cannot read between the lines.  So I'll spell it out for you.

PPA has arranged this ride in a part of Cape Town that has no other organised rides apart from the CTCT, has paid the traffic department for their attendance, has bike marshals in attendance, has a paid safety officer, has sign off from the authorities as required by law, has water points and medical staff. So PPA has treated this Awareness Ride as a full blown event. But it's not timed. And it's completely free.  All that is asked is that the participants wear the new PPA STAY WIDER OF THE RIDER lumo jersey to show a united campaign.

Snip*

Surely you did not need to start your reply like that?

And it just another PPA "race" then? At least that is how motorist will see it, lots of cyclist wearing the same kit. That is all!

Edited by Smimby

Of course he / she is an idiot for doing that, but we were actually talking about the attitude of motorist and how to educate them

Why then come and slate a cyclist? 

Every time someone brings up what a bus or car is/has been doing wrong someone will post something like this.

I just don't understand it.

Smimby, I was replying to you saying that cyclsists are allowed to be on the road, EXCEPT when there is a cycle lane. You can't just say cyclists are allowed to be on the road and not mention the exemptions in the legislation and expect no one to point it out.

The post I was replying

Smimby, I was replying to you saying that cyclsists are allowed to be on the road, EXCEPT when there is a cycle lane. You can't just say cyclists are allowed to be on the road and not mention the exemptions in the legislation and expect no one to point it out.

The post I was replying

I was not trying to state the law, just saying that motorist think we do not belong on the road at all.

But you are right, where there is a dedicated lane cyclist should be there.

I just wished that motorist are educated more to understand sometimes cyclist HAVE to use the road, and what difference would it have made for the bus in this case to drive behind the cyclist, or scooter or slow driver?