Cyclist down in Camps Bay

VeloRacer

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Im going to get one of those shirts, and some stickers for my car. posting on a forum isnt going to make things better

The problems all occur when the driver wants to just "squeeze" past,

If there is space for a vehicle to pass you safely, ride as far left as you consider safe for you, if there isn't that space, own your lane. You are entitled to it. Use it.

On my last ride there two weekends ago coming back through Camps Bay towards Bantry Bay, I had a myciti bus actually drive safely behind me until it was safe for me to let him pass. He was courteous towards me and I acknowledged him and showed my appreciation. This whole incident was over within about 40 seconds or so. Further on, a couple of ladies were riding socially in the road three abreast, with one of the red open top busses behind them. The bus could not pass them so the driver ended up wheel sucking them. I literally had to shout at the top of my lungs to get them to sodd off out the way, since I caught up to them and got stuck behind the bus with a crap load of agitated drivers behind me. These noob ladies were totally oblivious and unfazed.

My point is that road safety is a two way street especially on the section of tar between Hout Bay and the Waterfront. Literally hundreds of cyclists share that road with thousands of cars, truck and buses on daily basis. We have to find a way of interacting safely with one another, and in my opinion at least, how we as riders act on the road goes a long way to engendering respect and understanding from our fellow non-cyclist road users.

It is sad for the the person who tragically lost his life yesterday, and I also feel for the poor truck driver who ended up crushing him. This is just sad for all involved, but we need to make his death, and the loss of Adre Erasmus a few weeks back count for something. They could not have lost their lives in vain. Let us as the cycling community make our voices heard, if only for the sake of those who lost the good fight.

RIP fellow cyclist

Considering the amount of cyclist using that stretch of road daily, we definately need more awareness signs like "Caution Cyclists ahead"... at known hot-spots.

None of my colleagues at work or my family knows about the 1m rule. The awareness campaign from PPA are only reaching cyclists and not the other road users.

I was cycling down a road with no shoulder the other day, keeping to left as i should, there were also a very badly maintained side walk next to the road. A motorist actually stopped next to me and shouted at me for not cycling on the side walk.

This is the challenge we face, cyclists generally don't kill cyclists, we need to reach more motorists.

To this end the Safe Cycling Initiative from PPA has specifically targeted motorists through our new campaign. see thehubsa.co.za stay wider of the rider thread for details.

RIP. Very sad news. I'm from Europe and come to CT every year a few times to train and cycled the stretch where it happened a lot of times and had some close encounters with cars, but have to say that things got worse with the My City busses going through there. It's like everywhere in the world, they are under pressure to stick to the time table which does create a whole lot more unnecessary dangerous situations. I also believe it's time that something has to be done to raise the awareness of the motorists, as cases like this particular accident travel far by e-media and will not be unnoticed by potential future cyclists wanting to enjoy the beautiful country.

PPA allowing a “new law” that vehicles may now overtake on a solid barrier line - this came into effect when the 1 (PPA wanted 1.5m) meter law (prior to that it was not legal) was passed that PPA was trying to achieve. After now looking at page 1 of the tread of the accident scene - yup it’s a solid barrier line!!! PPA what have you done to cyclist road safety?? PPA bringing / allowing this new 1 meter law in to the government gazette and allowing the concession that now motorist may legally overtake a cyclist on a solid Barrier line have made the road less safe to what they use to be for cyclist - my oppnion!

The rule of the road in the past was quite simple don’t overtake a vehicle on a solid barrier line - PPA have now allowed this to be less simple!!!!

You seem to have it in for the PPA.

You don't know all the facts either and make assumptions to justify your anti PPA stance. The law, the bike one or otherwise doesn't give a driver especially a bus the right to overtake a car or bike when it is not safe to do so. That road is narrow and a bus is big. The bus driver possibly overtook when he should not have. The impression I have is the truck was behind the bus anyway making your assumption that the bus swerved to avoid it rather strange...

I agree that the rule should probably be a full car width and that 1 m is too little but I guess there was pressure the other way against the better approach from the city/province.

Either way this incident is shocking and unnecessary. Life is too cheap in SA, on teh roads or elsewhere... 

This is the challenge we face, cyclists generally don't kill cyclists, we need to reach more motorists.

To this end the Safe Cycling Initiative from PPA has specifically targeted motorists through our new campaign. see thehubsa.co.za stay wider of the rider thread for details.

Carbon29er, I am curious ( really, since I do not know ) what roll the City of Cape Town is playing in all this? Are they aware or part of the campaign? And if they are, in what capacity. My reason for asking is that it is a well known fact that CoCT widely advertises that our city is cycle friendly and always gives the amount of cycle lanes being built as an example of this. But in my mind this is where it stops (I stand corrected if I am wrong), other than hosting the Cycle Tour. I would like to know how much Cape Town as a city is really invested in raising a safe cycling awareness campaign or partnering with the PPA in order to more pro-actively and aggressively advertise the law pertaining to cyclists to our citizens and visitors.

As I said in my previous post, this carnage has got to stop, and we need the big players to come to the party now. No more deaths.

Carbon29er, I am curious ( really, since I do not know ) what roll the City of Cape Town is playing in all this?

Good question.

A massive part of the PPA Safe Cycling Initiative is about lobbying for safer roads for cyclists, both nationally and at city level.  And lobbying can be a fruitless task.

We have made some progress at City level, 4, yes 4, road signs have been erected asking motorists to "pass wide" along the whole of the 109km Cycle Tour route.

All in more than a year since the 1m legislation was passed by Province.

We are trying to get City more involved in signage and enforcement.

post-35786-0-44646100-1424255253_thumb.jpg

Good question.

A massive part of the PPA Safe Cycling Initiative is about lobbying for safer roads for cyclists, both nationally and at city level. And lobbying can be a fruitless task.

We have made some progress at City level, 4, yes 4, road signs have been erected asking motorists to "pass wide" along the whole of the 109km Cycle Tour route.

All in more than a year since the 1m legislation was passed by Province.

We are trying to get City more involved in signage and enforcement.

When the Taxi App Uber made an impact on existing Taxi services there was a clampdown on the "illegal" uber cars and I think 30 odd cars were impounded. ...now where did this pressure come from for the city to act....the Metered Taxi Association of course....well my theory any way...point I'm trying to make is ..the city can act decisively when it wants....and in this case the PPA must apply pressure on the City to utilise it's law enforcement to enforce this 1m law as well as lobby for a minimum sentence should a motorist collide with a cyclist and it's proven the motorists at fault.

RIP. Very sad news. I'm from Europe and come to CT every year a few times to train and cycled the stretch where it happened a lot of times and had some close encounters with cars, but have to say that things got worse with the My City busses going through there. It's like everywhere in the world, they are under pressure to stick to the time table which does create a whole lot more unnecessary dangerous situations. I also believe it's time that something has to be done to raise the awareness of the motorists, as cases like this particular accident travel far by e-media and will not be unnoticed by potential future cyclists wanting to enjoy the beautiful country.

Agree,these drivers have to stick to the schedule or the company gets fined.They are tracked by GPS ,no consideration of traffic and road conditions.Another problem is the construction sites on that route especially where the road narrows like in Clifton and from Campsbay SAPS till you get out of Bakoven.Another problem is the cars parked outside Get Baked and Campsbay SAPS ,this also cuts down on the road size.

The only way is to cycle in the middle of the lane.The speed limit should be reduced to 40kmh from Queens rd,Seapoint to Bakoven.

RIP Condolenses to the family

Be Safe out there

Archived