From a Pony to a Beast

Beast Tech

So the time has come where I have levelled up from a broke student to a poor 26 year old. And my first order of business is a massive upgrade. I have been riding for 3 years on a hardtail. But this was no ordinary hardtail. I treated it like it was a lean mean DH machine! It rode the Mankele black line countless times, championed the scout hall jump line, and saw pretty much most rad trails this country had to offer. We also have had our bad's, many pine trees found, a lot of pain staking cases on some optimistic jumps as well as a shattered elbow (thank's to scout hall). 

But the time has come to retire this legend in favour of a more capable beast.... 

My Pony: 

gallery_39047_1543_118044.jpg

Specs: 

Frame: GT Avalanche 1.0 (Resprayed)

Fork: Rock Shox 

Derailer: 9spd Shimano XT med cage (reverse spring)

Crank: Raceface

Chainring: Race Face Wide/Narrow 36T

Brakes: Normal Simano 

Wheels: XT hubs on some DT swiss rims 

Stem: 50mm truvative

Bars Wide 760mm Deity 2014

Shifters: Basic Shimano 

That is pretty much all worth mentioning, cost me 5k back in the day with about 3k of upgrades. But do not judge her on her specs, she was fully capable of anything, and really was the best rig to learn on. Unforgiving so you really had to learn the hard way. But it proved that it is often not the bike, but the rider that is the most important thing. People are not lying to you when they say "Learn on a hardtail". She will be sorely missed, but I will never forget my bumpy introduction to mountain biking.... 

The birth of the Beast.... 

A custom built YETI SB66! After months of trawling forums and going into every LBS existent I realised 26" frames are endangered in this country sadly. So I put out a call on the hub and within a day this beauty came looking for me. Currently she has a cracked rear swing arm but that is being claimed under warranty and should be sorted in the next few weeks. Why the frame? It has one of the slackest head angles around! (67 degrees). Perfect for when the steep gets STEEEEEP! And the lengthy TT (which some of you may not like) but these are designed for pure speed, which suits me just perfectly... Photo's to come on arrival. 

So once the frame was sorted I needed some components. And so the shopping began. Once again South Africa really struggles when it comes to long travel 26" forks. So I turned to the hub. And within a day I had been pointed in guy named Bibi's direction from Zion bikes and boy did he have a plan for me. 

I introduce to you my fork, Xfusion Vengeance HLR air 

gallery_39047_1543_488191.jpg

Let's just say the reviews spoke for themselves on this form, 170mm travel of pure power! Favoured by many a pro and a new kid on the block, but with something to say, really looking forward to trying this (it has a cane creek adapter to fit the tapered Yeti - best of both worlds) 

This bad boy has a 20mm thru axle so I kinda needed a new hub, and with that came a new wheel. And who better to ask then Bibi again. And boy did he deliver.... 

gallery_39047_1543_673914.jpg

A sexy DT Swiss Magura Hub, Dartmoor rim (Tnanks to Andrew @ Dial'd for helping out), Brass nipples, and Wheelsmith DB14g spokes. This wheel feels bombroof! And I am sure it will deliver.

Build will be on the go over the next few weeks so will keep updated, all I can say is if it wasn't for the hub this build would not be possible so that is why I am doing a build thread...

Edited by Alien8

The rock garden is mooi ;)

Wish I could take credit for that... ;) 

Those GTs are solid, I will never part with mine!

Yeah putting mine in the hall of fame (on my wall) 

Many thanks to Andrew at Dial'd for providing the rad Hoop  :thumbup: to match what the rider has as best possible.

Yeah and was sorted within a day! 

Looking good, how much are those forks, not easy to find long travel straight steerer forks these days

This fork Bibi made a plan at 7k, which I think is quite a steal considering competitors as well as price it fetches overseas. 

This fork Bibi made a plan at 7k, which I think is quite a steal considering competitors as well as price it fetches overseas.

Looks like a beast of a fork, what size are the stanchions?

keeping it real son. 26er for life

It's not always about how fast you can get to the bottom, but how much fun you can have a long the way.

Yeah got super lucky with the fork, the trick will come in setting the high and low compression right 

• 2 weeks later...

And so the parts start rolling in slowly.... 

Firstly, the keepers from the old rig....

gallery_39047_1543_232140.jpg

• 36t Raceface narrow ride chain ring 
  • Short cage 9 speed XT rear derailer (Yes I am still 9 speed, I like it)
  • 1x Sram GXP cranks (Old but honestly the best cranks in the world!) 
  • Deity dirty30 760mm handlebars with a truvativ 50mm stem
  • 1x GXP BB
  • MRP chain guide
  • Mountain king 2.4 tyre
  • Some DT swiss rim with a XT hub (wheel to upgade in the future but good for now) 
  • Raceface lizard skin grips 
  • XT 9 speed cassete 

And for some new parts....

gallery_39047_1543_368987.jpgGiant Flat pedals (My mate swears by these so no harm in trying them out, always can change

• SLX Ice tech brakes (no point in getting the XT)

And then the backbone, the YETI SB 66

gallery_39047_1543_92133.jpg

To arrive early this week are the rest of the parts, then the build begins...

• 203mm XT ice tec rotor 
  • 190mm XT ice tec rotor
  • 2.4 mountain king "protection" 
  • SLX shifters 

Wish list, when I have the cash to spend probably a dropper... 

Hope all arrives and then the excitement starts! 

Edited by Alien8