USN MTB Cup 2015 #2 Modderfontein

Bonus

It's a huge win that these races are now starting at 7am. Saves us from the heat of the day.

Bit of climbing too, which will be good...

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am looking for a 30 km entry if anyone is not riding that.

Not sure how these work, if I took a 50 km can you just do the 30? I have mate riding the 30 and am keen to join.

Guest notmyname

I am looking for a 30 km entry if anyone is not riding that.

Not sure how these work, if I took a 50 km can you just do the 30? I have mate riding the 30 and am keen to join.

Can be done just inform the people at the registration tables.

Who knows. One day I might actually get my race seeding email from saseeding for a race. Sick and tired of emailing them trying to fix it. Appears to me too hard to fix. I love finding out start times and parking arrangements from my mates anyway. *rant off*

My first mountain bike race in 21 years and it was pretty decent. No seeding meant a D group start for the 50km though so I only got a 2:18  :blush:

The single track sections made it a lot tougher to make up ground but lots of please's and thank you's all around generally helped. I can't imagine what the BRB race was like - there must have been single track queues as long as a train...

Mostly much more pleasant versus road and definitely a more accurate reflection of your abilities - there's not much wheel sucking to be had!

Quite alot of climbing on the 50km, was a tough race for me, at least no cramping this time round with the clouds giving some respite.

Did a 2:05, quite happy with that, was sucking the wheel of one of the fast girls for 1/2 of the race ...

Started A batch so no hold ups, I might have held up some other guys though here and there.

Liked the free bike wash and free USN drinks

Climbing was good for a Joburg race.  Particularly liked the climb on the way out.  Markings, marshalling,  parking, quality of tracks all good. 

Didn't like the part where we rode three times up and down what appeared to be the same hill at about 32kms I lost my sense of humour on the last climb up to the water table. 

Also, there was no food at any of the water points.

Overall a nice ride around the reserve, a solid 7/10....

Not  bad race although if I was familiar with Modderfontein I probably wouldnt have paid to ride it.

Very annoyed that the race officials did not check the start chutes, There was a coloured chap wearing a Revolution Cycles Cape Town jersey in the 50Km B start chute who had an SAS Seeding board with a sticker from Sabie marathon last weekend. I gave him a bit of a hard time and from our chat I can gather he did not even do the Sabie race.  Way too fatso to have been in the marathon's C start group anyway ;P

So he did this USN race without paying entry fee, and who knows if that SAS board is even his. Reported him to a race official en route so I hope he found him and that he gets his board confiscated.

Nice overcast conditions and yes quite good climbing for Jozi...i think my Garmin went wonky as it showed 1200m after I had turned it off and then on again....was about 700m during the race when I last checked ascent, what did everyone else get?

Onwards to the Argus! 

Archived