New UCI 1.2 Races for SA

alec@events

Cycling South Africa and its partners and with the support of the Department of Sport & Recreation, KZN are proud to announce the launch of the KZN Autumn Series which is a series of three UCI 1.2 road races that will take place in Kwazulu – Natal, South Africa on the 27th April, the 1st May and the 3rd May 2015.

All races except one will accommodate elite men & women riders and as per the local regulations, the team sizes will be restricted to 6 x riders per team for each of the races.

The details of each of these races are as follows:

Freedom Day Classic

27th April 2015

UCI 1.2

Men & Women categories

This will be a circuit race over a 22.2km route through the streets of Pietermaritzburg with start & finish at Alexander Park in the middle of the city. The men will do 7 x laps to race a total of 157km and the women will do 5 x laps to race a total of 113km. The prizemoney for the men will total € 6 010.00 and will be paid to 20th position as per the breakdown laid out by the UCI, and prizemoney for the women will total € 1 645.00 and will be paid to 20th position as per the breakdown laid out by the UCI.

Martizburg Margate Mayday Classic

1st May 2015

UCI 1.2

Men only

This race will be a point to point race starting in Pietermaritzburg and finishing in the seaside town of Margate. The distance contested will be 190km although the total distance from the start point at Alexander Park to the finish point on the Margate Promenade is 205km – the first 15km ridden will be a neutral zone and racing will start once outside the city of Pietermaritzburg boundaries. The roads to be used are predominantly the R603 and the R102 and although a fairly long race, the start point is at an altitude of 636m above sea level and the finish line will be mere metres from the waves on the main beach of Margate. The prizemoney for the men will total € 6 010.00 and will be paid to 20th position as per the breakdown laid out by the UCI.

Hibiscus Coast Cycle Challenge

3rd May 2015

UCI 1.2

Men & Women categories

This will be a circuit race over a 40km route through the streets of Margate with start & finish on the promenade on the beachfront. The men will do 4 x laps to race a total of 160km and the women will do 3 x laps to race a total of 120km. The prizemoney for the men will total € 6 010.00 and will be paid to 20th position as per the breakdown laid out by the UCI, and prizemoney for the women will total € 1 645.00 and will be paid to 20th position as per the breakdown laid out by the UCI. 

Although these races make up the KZN Autumn Series, they each stand alone as a separate entity and therefore teams do not need to enter all of the races should they not wish to – they can enter as many or as few as they choose. However, preference will be given to those teams that choose to compete in more of the races than those that don’t.

Should a team be interested in competing in any of these races, please contact the Event Director, Alec Lenferna at alec@realem.co.za and additional information can then be provided. 

Hang on a moment. CSA is not supposed to be doing anything for cycling. Or so I read somewhere.

This sounds like a very interesting series.

That's pretty awesome. Costs per team? Do all the riders per team have to be licensed riders or can the average Joe and his mates create a team of six and partake?

Great initiative, well done Alec.

As a UCI 1.2 event, average Joe won't be able to race. Full CSA licences will be required.

UCI really don't treat women very well, 3.65 times the prize money for men. Epic is truly remarkable in this environment in offering equal prize money regardless of sex.

UCI 1.2 races can only be ridden by riders with an elite license. We have 10 x teams registered here in SA with elite riders so the plan is to get some of the Continental teams from Europe to compete as well as national teams - predominantly from Africa. 

UCI 1.2 races can only be ridden by riders with an elite license. We have 10 x teams registered here in SA with elite riders so the plan is to get some of the Continental teams from Europe to compete as well as national teams - predominantly from Africa. 

Well done guys

Question:

Why PMB city, the last time I was there was for Comrades 2014 and Joh!!! the place was not nice (main town).

Great initiative, well done Alec.

As a UCI 1.2 event, average Joe won't be able to race. Full CSA licences will be required.

UCI really don't treat women very well, 3.65 times the prize money for men. Epic is truly remarkable in this environment in offering equal prize money regardless of sex.

I wanted to say its because women sports are generally much less watched and therefore doesn't create the revenue that the male events do...  The money should ultimately go to whoever creates the revenue right?

That was true for centuries, but today Ariane and Annika somewhat screwed that logic up and proved to the Epic organizers that they may have made the right call with their equal prize money policy!!!

Well done guys

Question:

Why PMB city, the last time I was there was for Comrades 2014 and Joh!!! the place was not nice (main town).

Because Cape Town already has the World Funride Champs.  And the PPA.

What is the TDF of MTB? [emoji6]

Tongue in cheek emotio

That race around the vineyards that's for rich F1 drivers, sponsored teams, foreigners and anyone who can climb a bit but not descend very well

• 1 month later...

I'm sure if SASOL didn't step up to the plate the women would still get less than men in the Cape Epic at least that's the way I interpreted it.

Archived