App to replace Garmin on bar

carbon29er

I've ridden with a Garmin on the dash since 2005 but feel it could be time to use a smartphone instead since BT4 devices are now available for heart rate and cadence.

I've looked at all the likely subjects but haven't found the display screens I want,  Uploading is not my worry, in ride data is.

I need one screen that shows:

Heart Rate as % of Max, not beats per minute

Cadence

Elapsed time

Distance

Average speed

Current speed

Nice to have but not essential for home screen (as upload provides):

Max speed

Elevation gain

Altitude

Lap info

Courses are a bonus but not important.

What smartphoe app provides these on screen in ride features? Any suggestions?

I used cyclemeter. Not sure about the percentage heart rate but then I never had a hrm. I do recall that there was a page with the graphs of your heart rate zones. Just not sure if you will fit the 6 fields you require on one page

I've ridden with a Garmin on the dash since 2005 but feel it could be time to use a smartphone instead since BT4 devices are now available for heart rate and cadence.

I've looked at all the likely subjects but haven't found the display screens I want,  Uploading is not my worry, in ride data is.

I need one screen that shows:

Heart Rate as % of Max, not beats per minute

Cadence

Elapsed time

Distance

Average speed

Current speed

Nice to have but not essential for home screen (as upload provides):

Max speed

Elevation gain

Altitude

Lap info

Courses are a bonus but not important.

What smartphoe app provides these on screen in ride features? Any suggestions?

Rather keep it separate, one records suffering and the other for instagram. Also battery life not great on smart phones with display on.

How many people ride with their cellphones on the handlebars? I can just imagine a long list of things that can possibly go wrong not to mention battery life & seeing  anything in the glare of the sun

How many people ride with their cellphones on the handlebars? I can just imagine a long list of things that can possibly go wrong not to mention battery life & seeing  anything in the glare of the sun

agreed...

My kids recently HAD to downgrade to the iDiotPhone so I have a few spare fully functional devices just gathering dust...this is more a technical challenge what can be done and what's out there. Remember I need to find something to justify the LifeBeam helmet with sensor in the padding,with both BT4 and Ant+ transmission. And the Wahoo dual RPM candence sensor with both BT4 and Ant+ transmission...

But I guess pure savage has it, Garmin works, just stick with it,

Buy Polar v800 watch . It has alk the info you are looking for plus allot more. You can strap it to the handlebar using a polar universal bike clamp.

Buy Polar v800 watch . It has alk the info you are looking for plus allot more. You can strap it to the handlebar using a polar universal bike clamp.

I already have a Garmin. And a phone. Which is why the original question asked for a smartphone app.

I think I've found the solution.

I downloaded IpBike app from the play store, got onto the beta programme for IpSensorMan to be be able to detect BTLe devices as my HR helmet and Wahoo RPM Cedence sensors are dual devices, which is not neccessary if your phone is ANT+ and off I go.

This app does everything a Garmin dedicated unit can, maybe more.

I now just need to build a phone mount for the bars.

Testing it this weekend and I'll report back with a review.

I looked at Wahoo but it's not as customisable as I'd like. IpBike is pretty amazing, there is nothing it can't do but the learning curve is very steep. Despite being a geek I'm still trying to get on top of all the customisations.  I did run it on a my weekend rides, the tracking is accurate, altitude not so, and really easy to see the required data.

More coming as I ride more before I make a recommendation.