2015 magalies monster

Runbikeswim

Any one done the monster? Thinking of entering, how bad is it really...? My sas score is 41, my toughest race so far being last year's Cradle trophy.

Will I manage the 80km? How will I know

• Replies 475
  • Created
  • Last Reply

MM is always tough .It is the combination and sequence of the terrain that get you .Recovery is minimal unless you walk .Lots of very fit riders still suffer and cramp .If you have completed any advendurance marathon in reasonable time you will finish the MM .My advice is to walk all the really steep rocky  first sections and spare your legs for the second part .i have seen many a ,I have done Sani  and should be fit ,finisher cry and cramp while walking .That,s why i will be  doing my forth one 

Doing my first this year. Planning to lap thaba trails green 5 times in coming weeks. To get the distance and similar climbing. Think I'm gonna suffer on the monster

I'm in for the 80km. Will be my first, so don't really know what to expect, except that there is a lot of rugged climbing. 

How much singletrack is there?

I'm looking at the 45km for my first race. Bit of a step up for me but we shall see.

Is this a seeding event? If so, does the 45km count?

#noob

I do the MM every year as it is my home race.Stays a tough race.The first 30km most of the climbing is done via mountain sanctuary park and the monster it self.The down hills are also technical and rocky.Pace yourself in the first halve as it is easy to bonk with still 20km to go.The pro,s normally only average 20km/hr so it is a tough day out.Awesome feeling of accomplishment when crossing the finishing line.Enjoy.

Def. Not called the monster because they couldn't find another name for the race,,,,they specifically picked the right name

I do the MM every year as it is my home race.Stays a tough race.The first 30km most of the climbing is done via mountain sanctuary park and the monster it self.The down hills are also technical and rocky.Pace yourself in the first halve as it is easy to bonk with still 20km to go.The pro,s normally only average 20km/hr so it is a tough day out.Awesome feeling of accomplishment when crossing the finishing line.Enjoy.

That says a lot. 

Did it last year for the first time ....its f$@king tough. Like dips says not called the monster for nothing. That monster climb is frikkin insane . Never been so physically and mentally exhausted in my life. Finished it but didn't train hard enough.

If you haven't put in the Km's don't do it.

Am much fitter & stronger this year but still undecided about doing it.

Always good to remember that once you get to the top of breedts the climbing is far from over...save some matches... It's a great race....and you have earned every single one of those beers when you are done.

Guest notmyname

Lekker ride this. I'm in for my second 80monsterbeastie.

I really want to finish this yr.. will take extra caution and hope not to crash out again like last yr.. really enjoyed what I did last yr (yes even the monster. . It's beautiful up there.). the vibe is great and the people are amazing on the route.

As for training I am about 2 months behind.. so time for some serious focus.. time she is running out.

I took everyone's advice last yr and took it easy for the first half.. then had a brain fart on the monster's descent. . Watch out for those bloody pebbles on the left.. slippery.. and at speed aye.. you'll be picking out stones from your limbs if you fall.. as I did.

My brother-in-law and myself are in but we are now realizing what we got ourselves into... :eek:

We have left the training a bit late but we both agree...what we lack in experience and strength, we make up with heart and guts!

We are determined to finish this race and we are also training on the Thaba Trails green route...tried the blue route and it's freaking insane :excl: :w00t:

See ya all at the MONSTER... ;)

Will be there for the 45 km. Then hopefully the 80 km next year.

Training set buack by leaking disc in my back as I thought I would increase miles last week it actually had to stop.

Hopefully back on the bike this weekend.

Actually a roady but will convert to MTB for next two months especially for this one.

Archived