Standard Bank Ironman 2016 (10 April)

Garfield2010

So who is in?

I see the race date is 2 weeks after the Easter weekend so that is very favourable for people who like to over train like DaveM :eek:

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

So who is in?

I see the race date is 2 weeks after the Easter weekend so that is very favourable for people who like to over train like DaveM :eek:

Glad the date has moved a little later.

As I have been cross training at the dinner table since last year, I better get training soon otherwise I will just roll around the course. 

So what is important with new route..... Weight of the athlete and the bike, aero position needs to be very aero.

Was there a slight cycle route change from 2014 to 2015? Heard something but not sure. Is it permanent or was it temporary to accommodate road works or something else? Does it make any difference?

I am mulling it over...

Regarding route change. Was this around the back of seaview perhaps. I got the feeling we were meant to go right then immediately left but went straight which meant that very sharp right hander came into play.

I am mulling it over...

Regarding route change. Was this around the back of seaview perhaps. I got the feeling we were meant to go right then immediately left but went straight which meant that very sharp right hander came into play.

That sounds like the detour I heard about.

That sounds like the detour I heard about.

I got the feeling that was not correct so sounds about right.. that little detour meant we had a very sharp right hander on a downhill to contend with and it caught out a number of guys cos you don't quite realize that bicycles don't have ABS and EBD like modern cars ...its actually quite a mission to slow down a bicycle ...but also had a sharp left bringing us back onto the original route but that was slower.

of course I am not 100% sure whether it was a detour or not. cant think of any reason except possibly the businesses on the other road objected or something. I think there are some wildlife spots. Would not have added any distance, as it is the route was around 3km short over 180 anyway.....

we complain like hell when trirock route short, not a peep when IM route is short :) ...

but I digress....

be careful of that right hander in 2016...it is very very tricky and on the first lap there are bicycles all around you over the first lap making it trickier...only on the second lap do ppl get properly spread out