Standard Bank Ironman 2016 (10 April)

Garfield2010

Do you guys think it's possible to do Two Oceans Ultra and recover in time (two weeks) for IM? Did IM this year and loved the experience. Would like to go back and improve my time. But have also been looking to do Ultra for some time now.

I just think I might end up ruining both events if I try and do them both in one year (I'm no super human athlete).

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you guys think it's possible to do Two Oceans Ultra and recover in time (two weeks) for IM? Did IM this year and loved the experience. Would like to go back and improve my time. But have also been looking to do Ultra for some time now.

I just think I might end up ruining both events if I try and do them both in one year (I'm no super human athlete).

A long run is the most likely to injure event you can do. I have friends who just run that have hurt themselves in long races like that. 

Really tough call.

A guy I know this year did it in reverse, iron man one weekend , 2 oceans the next and then comrades.

So, it is possible but I can categorically assure you it is not possible for me :) ..

I guess depends on yr fitness levels.

Absolutely NOT. You are asking for health issues dont even attempt it, why put your health at risk to even try something like that. Many people try to do it and in the long land up losing some even to the extend of life threatening illness. Pick your battles and ultra a year apart is more than enough.

Very bad idea for 99% of people doing IM. Your recovery after a normal marathon is longer than that. Rather leave Ultra for 2017.

I see everyone here was very much against it. Personally, I would think it would be fine if you don't "race" Oceans. This year's Oceans course was tougher than normal but the regular course only really has 2 hills. If you don't push those too hard you will be in great shape at the end of the race and recovered in a couple of days. Also by not racing Oceans and using it for training your mind knows the big event is still coming (at least this is what people always tell me at the ultras before Comrades).

But in the end it completely boils down to you, the strength of your run and knowing your own limits. I would say make the call with your usual marathon run recovery time in mind.

PS: good luck to everyone. Reading all the comments makes me sad I am not doing it next year!

Note to self: find something to do next year!

Clyde absolutely impossible to recover from an ultra in 2 weeks, on a physiological level cellular breakdown occurs even if you run it easy this takes the average man anywhere from 6-8weeks to recover from its not possible to speed it up over that distance. The problem with most South Africans is their minds are stronger than their bodies it's why we see such severe illness and injury in the sporting communities South Africans over do it simple.

Edited by MDW

Clyde absolutely impossible to recover from an ultra in 2 weeks, on a physiological level cellular breakdown occurs even if you run it easy this takes the average man anywhere from 6-8weeks to recover from its not possible to speed it up over that distance. The problem with most South Africans is their minds are stronger than their bodies it's why we see such severe illness and injury in the sporting communities South Africans over do it simple.

Well said

Sometimes "not racing or taking it easy" is just as bad as racing.... you spend more time running and at a different pace or stride i.e. something you are not used to doing.

This man did 100 marathons in 100 days

http://rundarenrun.com/

you want to do 1.3 in 14 days, do not listen to the naysayers! Do it!

He might have done that but let's see what age he hits 6ft at and now he gets there. Damage will be done it's just plain stupid. I work with athletes daily across the globe I understand intimately what the body goes through and I have witness first hand athletes doing such damage because they didn't listen. Imagine after that u can never do an ironman or a ultra again, you don't value your health until you have lost it. Don't even put yourself at that risk because once trouble comes knocking at the door. It's too late.

Thanks for the input.

I will then rather not attempt this. Just wanted to know what you guys think regarding recovery times when in "peak" condition. I did Cape Town 2 weeks ago, but was not very fit and I'm still very much feeling it now.

When going into IM you don't just want to feel "OK", you want to feel perfect. *And more importantly, I do not want to injure myself and cause long term damage.

Edited by BlinkFan

He might have done that but let's see what age he hits 6ft at and now he gets there. Damage will be done it's just plain stupid. I work with athletes daily across the globe I understand intimately what the body goes through and I have witness first hand athletes doing such damage because they didn't listen. Imagine after that u can never do an ironman or a ultra again, you don't value your health until you have lost it. Don't even put yourself at that risk because once trouble comes knocking at the door. It's too late.

Ok, totally off topic question. If you did a 98km run, which is equal to say 56km (oceans) + 42km marathon. The comrades is 88km, only 10km shorter. Why is this an acceptable risk but splitting it over two weeks is not?

Hi

Also entered, this will be my first. Hoping for the best.

Nice, good luck with the training. Hope to join you guys in 2017

PS Welcome to the BikeHub.

Nice, good luck with the training. Hope to join you guys in 2017

PS Welcome to the BikeHub.

Thank you kindly, been reading forums for a while but decided it's time to join and take part in some conversations. Doing my first triathlon next weekend so April 2016 will only be about finishing.

My wife and I both entered for IMSA. Her first and my second. It is quite a mission syncing our training-, working-, parenting- schedules. Actually quite funny to see our "planning meetings" on a Sunday evening during Carte Blanche.

I am really looking forward to the Tri season. We have also entered 5150 and 70.3 EL. Training is slowly picking up as well.