Standard Bank Ironman 2016 (10 April)

Garfield2010

My maths:

2015 course: 1608m

2016 course: 678x2=1356m (per IMSA course maps)

Difference: 252m

Profile pictures are generally stretched to fill the Y axis and do not use a common scale. Can be very misleading.

Must be that...when I compare the 2 the peaks are far more daunting on the 2015 course than 2016.

Either way, it is what it is and looking forward to it.

• Replies 594
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Please forgive the ignorance here but I haven't done the event.

Was it the PE or EL course which had a lot of people withdrawing and/or complaining that if the bike leg wasn't changed they would not participate again?

If it was PE then surely the organisers are doing what the people have asked for, if it was EL , then as you were.

Yes, complaints were about PE.  Although i doubt that is the reason.  

Interesting.  I am glad my 1st and only IMSA so far was on the hilly course.  I will enter again the day they resurface that coastal road, or the day I buy an old man's "plush" bike, whichever comes first. 

(I expect it may be the latter)

Ai tog. Did it in 2013 and this year and also entered for next year. So 3 different routes in 3 outings for me. Oh well, keeps it interesting.

Why did they change the route? They said roadworks but was that the real reason?

i thought they changed the bike route in 2014 to make it more challenging but now it seems they have gone back to an easier route (wind allowing)

Hmmm, very much doubt 60+ minutes. 

Course description says 678m climbing per lap still.  That's not much less than before (previously around 850m per lap, IIRC).  Also, we now do the rough stretches 4x, more exposed to wind, it will still be tough and slow...

I say on ave 15 minutes faster, pretty much what the "old" 3 lap course was.

There is around 15 percent climb and if this was the route in 2015 the wind would of helped in one direction. Being a fatty and having looked at my times and splits I reckon I would of been between 45 minutes and an hour faster in 2015. I was out there for 7:15 making it 435 minutes, just 10 percent easier/ quicker - 43 minutes. Not an exact science but in 2015 there was no respite..you were either climbing or riding into the wind.

Well from what I can tell the numbers are incorrect.

We are cutting out the first looong steady climb, then we are cutting out those 2 - 3 terrible steep hills in Lakeside road.  We are also cutting out a few technical corners which caused braking and lastly we are cutting out that climb around the Maitland corner made worse by a headwind.

As DaveM has said we will do a lot more "rough" terrain but it will be flatter and the wind will be "fair".

I expect bike times to be 40 - 60 minutes less.

The new / old course is tough.  Change is always good.  It will be fun to see guys from the front (pros, friends etc) a couple of times on the road.

The real winners are the Free State okes and the losers are the cradle bunch!

Well from what I can tell the numbers are incorrect.

We are cutting out the first looong steady climb, then we are cutting out those 2 - 3 terrible steep hills in Lakeside road.  We are also cutting out a few technical corners which caused braking and lastly we are cutting out that climb around the Maitland corner made worse by a headwind.

As DaveM has said we will do a lot more "rough" terrain but it will be flatter and the wind will be "fair".

I expect bike times to be 40 - 60 minutes less.

The new / old course is tough.  Change is always good.  It will be fun to see guys from the front (pros, friends etc) a couple of times on the road.

The real winners are the Free State okes and the losers are the cradle bunch!

I suspect the same, the numbers do not seem correct.

All things being equal and havi looked at my gps track for the cycle I reckon I would of been at least 45 minutes faster in 2015 on the new circuit and that's on the bike..the energy saved and legs saved would of equated to a quicker run but this is a moot point for me as I had a buggered knee...

40-60 minutes faster is 4-6km/h. Unlikely.

There two sharp left corners at the bottom of a downhill which remain (have been on all three courses). Going to be tricky when you consider there will be bikes coming in the other direction.

How about a 29er front wheel with slicks to handle that rough road?

40-60 minutes faster is 4-6km/h. Unlikely.

There two sharp left corners at the bottom of a downhill which remain (have been on all three courses). Going to be tricky when you consider there will be bikes coming in the other direction.

How about a 29er front wheel with slicks to handle that rough road?

That depends on yr average speed in 2015. My average was 25 more or less for the course. Time was 7:15. In my scenario increase would be ..2.5 to be quicker by 43 minutes. Not unrealistic. To be quicker by an hour would be around 3.5 km faster. Again within realms of possibility all things being equal in 2015.

thinking of changing 23 gatorskins to 25 gatorskins for this.any thoughts whether this should make a difference?

thinking of changing 23 gatorskins to 25 gatorskins for this.any thoughts whether this should make a difference?

Should be more comfortable esp as the day wears on.

To add to the question, am thinking latex tubes as well, would these enhance comfort or is it just kool aid talk?

Classifieds

I will look there as well, but where can I look for a new bike. On the interweb I only found cyclelab and they have only one on their website

Archived