2015 Coronation Double Century

Chris NewbyFraser

Was an amazing ride, just missed our 5:30 goal as a rider was caught behind an accident at first stop. Ended with 5:35 and 21st, apparently I need another bike setup according to Instagram. :/

Same issue as last year, teams on Mtb riding three abreast in montagu wondering why the getting screamed at by teams coming past them... :/

When you guys came crawling past us, it looked like you had only put down a baby hammer? A few teams sat on you for a long way, then on a rise you guys wipped out a Judge Judy hammer and some of our guys couldn't hold anymore..... :(

Met up with a rider you dropped, number 5 I think, he looked spent, asked him if he dropped his chain, wasnt impressed ;) offered him to latch onto the back of us. Didn't hold for very long, shame he must have had a *** day out.

Those guys riding 3 abreast, especially coming into water point 1 are knob heads!

• Replies 429
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Especially the idiots who come screaming in then cut in front of you while looking for your support. Only to then brake and dismount in the middle of the road.

Common sense and courtesy are still elusive to riders in this event.

Rode with the UCT crew. We managed a sub 5:30 and but just missed the top 10 with 11th. Considering we are in the middle of exams (most had a exam the friday evening and the upcoming week) and that many, like me, had never done a DC it was a decent result. Can truly say its one of the best road events around, the sense of unity you get as a team while climbing those final rollers full gas in the pouring rain was truly amazing. 

I still say they must let the top 15 teams overall plus Top 5 in each cat go off first. No slipping and it makes the patrolling a lot easier. :thumbup:

The rest of the teams you can give more of a "blind eye", so many ride the same pace and the congestion on the narrow roads makes it impossible to manage.  :blush:

Our team has had an expulsion, a hostile take over and on Sunday there was an attempted coup! That's without the fighting about shirts, bitching about training rides and opinions on riding at altitude.

I cannot wait for Sunday so I can delete and exit the WhattsApp group!

Won't say what team as it's not my club and not my place to air their dirty laundry. I was invited to ride on their team and didn't think things could ever get this petty.

So Nixm. ...how was your ride....????????????????????

So Nixm. ...how was your ride....????????????????????

Interesting! Well all 12 finished together but there was plenty conflict en route. The lowest point was when we had a punctured and the 3 strongest riders refused to stop because " they are going to get cold waiting in the rain". So 9 of us stopped and waited in the rain while the flat was repaired.

Personally I loved the ride and would love to it again with a group of like minded people. Watching the racing guys and girls come flying passed gave me goose bumps, or maybe that was just the freezing rain.

When you guys came crawling past us, it looked like you had only put down a baby hammer? A few teams sat on you for a long way, then on a rise you guys wipped out a Judge Judy hammer and some of our guys couldn't hold anymore..... :(

Met up with a rider you dropped, number 5 I think, he looked spent, asked him if he dropped his chain, wasnt impressed ;) offered him to latch onto the back of us. Didn't hold for very long, shame he must have had a *** day out.

Those guys riding 3 abreast, especially coming into water point 1 are knob heads!

When we came passed you a sledgehammer had dropped already and we were down to 7!! Once we had passed you it got a little crazy passing the teams to montagu.

My first DC and longest day on a bike .Our time 8h44 .Team dynamics and strategy not working well ,but we enjoyed the ride .Weather at times tested all .After the first stop we were so wet and cold i was afraid my shaking on the bike will make me crash .Saw a few crashes after the Robertson turn 

So when did this become a group funride? What happened to the rules?

When it became a corporate D!ckslinging contest about 5 years ago.

I still say they must let the top 15 teams overall plus Top 5 in each cat go off first. No slipping and it makes the patrolling a lot easier. :thumbup:

The rest of the teams you can give more of a "blind eye", so many ride the same pace and the congestion on the narrow roads makes it impossible to manage.  :blush:

Two issues:

They start the fast teams last so that we need less road closure time and to give the slow teams more time. slow teams would be out longer in the heat(not this year)

Seeding how will you decide whom to start early and would a later starting team not qualify for win? podium or top ten? I was on a team just set up for the occasion years ago(only roade once before the era of pick nic stops) we were seeded for an early start as we where supposed to be rubbish. We had a long and lonely day out on the road messing with road closure times and challenging for the fastest time.

Two issues:

They start the fast teams last so that we need less road closure time and to give the slow teams more time. slow teams would be out longer in the heat(not this year)

Seeding how will you decide whom to start early and would a later starting team not qualify for win? podium or top ten? I was on a team just set up for the occasion years ago(only roade once before the era of pick nic stops) we were seeded for an early start as we where supposed to be rubbish. We had a long and lonely day out on the road messing with road closure times and challenging for the fastest time.

The only way to make it safer is to split the field over two days, have  (Top 100) on one day and the rest on the other day, like some of the MTB events do. 

This way you will not have as many issues when it comes to tight passing as you can start teams further apart. 

If a team wants to go for a win and its an unknown they will just pick up the phone and chat to race office.

Archived