Emmarentia vs cyclists (again)

wonduhboy

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

:devil:  :devil: IM SURE YOU DO DUTCHIE

Grande with wings and a camel light....nothing motivates me quite like that Dips

deffos, respect is key...hell call it good neighbourlyness or whatever.

I dont agree with the dogs off leashes statement though, kids are not on leashes and their movements are as random as that of dogs, us as the cyclists need to accept that they are there and have a right to be there and run around randomly....we have to be heaven forbid, the grownup / smarter specie in this case. We are responsible for not hitting them, travelling fast makes us the dicks...and as pointed out earlier, we are tech not allowed in the botanical garden section, which is also where the okes tend to praaap. If you hit a child / person / dog...you are 100% in the wrong, no matter the circumstance. You shouldn't have been there to start with so if a kid or dog runs in front of you, YOU are to blame....

I agree with you 100% that we need to not be stupid and understand that there are leashless dogs and kids, and we should ride in anticipation that there could be one popping out of the bushes to which we need to take evasive action.

HOWEVER if a leashless dog bites me or causes me to fall.... the owner will be held VERY responsible.

Leashless dogs and Stavaholes are both issues that need to be addressed, and until both are, each will just point the finger at the other. We can make the first step by riding a bit more considerately.

I agree with you 100% that we need to not be stupid and understand that there are leashless dogs and kids, and we should ride in anticipation that there could be one popping out of the bushes to which we need to take evasive action.

HOWEVER if a leashless dog bites me or causes me to fall.... the owner will be held VERY responsible.

Leashless dogs and Stavaholes are both issues that need to be addressed, and until both are, each will just point the finger at the other. We can make the first step by riding a bit more considerately.

like this 

PS this the parts where I have seen okes doing plenty speed...

Isn't that the fence line? How the hell are guys walking their dogs up there??

deffos, respect is key...hell call it good neighbourlyness or whatever.

I dont agree with the dogs off leashes statement though, kids are not on leashes and their movements are as random as that of dogs, us as the cyclists need to accept that they are there and have a right to be there and run around randomly....we have to be heaven forbid, the grownup / smarter specie in this case. We are responsible for not hitting them, travelling fast makes us the dicks...and as pointed out earlier, we are tech not allowed in the botanical garden section, which is also where the okes tend to praaap. If you hit a child / person / dog...you are 100% in the wrong, no matter the circumstance. You shouldn't have been there to start with so if a kid or dog runs in front of you, YOU are to blame....

Kids are fortunately a lot slower than dogs...  and usually have parents in close proximity anyway.

The fact of the matter is nobody wants to hit ANYTHING - chances are you will come off second best or get injured at the very least - even if trying to take avoiding action.

My target is the unleashed dogs owners - they always get a verbal bollocking from me - they endanger the life of their dogs, and place all legitimate park users at risk - cyclists or pedestrian - and  I am not going to step back from telling them to fall into line - it is my RIGHT to have them put their dogs on a leash - just as much as it is their RIGHT to walk their dogs in certain areas of the park (and they also have no dog areas - just as much as no cyclist areas - please check that they are not walking dogs in those dog free zones.)

PS - smokers in public spaces get the same treatment.

Rouxtjie, spot on mostly as usual. Patches got the rest.

So far, I have been bitten by a dog off a leash, Janine got taken out the other day. Worst, my old (63 at the time and goes slowly) got taken out by a leash-less dog, Broken Scapula, Ribs and Concussion. Apparently it was his fault, the border collie was definitely minding its own business. None of us have ever ridden into a person.

If I ride into a child or person, it is definitely my fault. If their mutt runs around off a leash and takes me out. It is most definitely their fault. It get as irate when I take my mutt to the park and somebody else's mutt comes flying up to it off its leash and the are shouting at their mutt for 50 metres away. 

Wrong attitude, go have a chat with yourself and try again....we have less right than them to be there....deal with the fact that there are dogs / kids / walkers and ride with that in mind the whole time you are in the park. 

I clearly mention it'd be nice for everyone to be considerate to all park users. 

I do NOT mean that we should go around mowing little dogs down for kicks. Just hate it when (while being mindful of people around) a dog chases up to me and their owner freeks the F out at me for existing in the general vicinity on 2 wheels.

Tried again. 

Kids are fortunately a lot slower than dogs...  and usually have parents in close proximity anyway.

The fact of the matter is nobody wants to hit ANYTHING - chances are you will come off second best or get injured at the very least - even if trying to take avoiding action.

My target is the unleashed dogs owners - they always get a verbal bollocking from me - they endanger the life of their dogs, and place all legitimate park users at risk - cyclists or pedestrian - and  I am not going to step back from telling them to fall into line - it is my RIGHT to have them put their dogs on a leash - just as much as it is their RIGHT to walk their dogs in certain areas of the park (and they also have no dog areas - just as much as no cyclist areas - please check that they are not walking dogs in those dog free zones.)

PS - smokers in public spaces get the same treatment.

Not that I smoke, but can ask why? Surely if its in the great wide outdoors and they dont litter their stompies it should be ok? The smoking has not ever really bothered me, stompie chucking on the other hand.....

Not that I smoke, but can ask why? Surely if its in the great wide outdoors and they dont litter their stompies it should be ok? The smoking has not ever really bothered me, stompie chikking on the other hand.....

First - I am strongly anti smoking on medical and health grounds - especially for kids and people with respiratory sensitivity to smoke (plenty of asthmatics) - why should my kids (or me for that matter) be exposed to addictive drugs by smokers - you don't want your kids to be exposed to heroin - whats the difference?

Secondly - smoking in a public place is ILLEGAL - if you don't believe me - do some homework - www.acts.gov.za will answer that one for you.

First - I am strongly anti smoking on medical and health grounds - especially for kids and people with respiratory sensitivity to smoke (plenty of asthmatics) - why should my kids (or me for that matter) be exposed to addictive drugs by smokers - you don't want your kids to be exposed to heroin - whats the difference?

Secondly - smoking in a public place is ILLEGAL - if you don't believe me - do some homework - www.acts.gov.za will answer that one for you.

i call bull there is no gateway drugs

Wrong attitude, go have a chat with yourself and try again....we have less right than them to be there....deal with the fact that there are dogs / kids / walkers and ride with that in mind the whole time you are in the park.

Please explain why..........'we have less right to be there'?

PS this the parts where I have seen okes doing plenty speed...

But the part on the right should be ridden between the trees, a lot more fun! 

I have however lately noticed a lot more people walking on that section and then when I come to a complete stop behind as to not speed past them, I get a disgusted look as if I nearly killed them.

Please explain why..........'we have less right to be there'?

Botanical garden section is off limits to bicycles....its also the part where I see the most these poephols bombing at great speed.

So, if you hit a child as an example or a drunk hobo you are immediately in the wrong...you shouldn't have been there to start with...Kind of like when a person without a license is involved in an accident, they shouldnt have been there to start with so the accident wouldnt have taken place and thus 100% blame sits with him. 

Archived