New rim advice

flamer

Ahoy all,

I've been told I need new rims on my 2010 Stumpjumper (fsr - 26in) as the current ones spokes have corroded onto the rim and I can no longer true them.

I want something wide-ish so that I can run 2.3-2.4 tyres and not too pricey!

Any ideas/suggestions? - was looking at the WTB st i25 available on chain reaction- around R550 per rim, before shipping.

Thanks

J

Also, any recommendations for people to build up the wheel? I live in the Cape Town's southern suburbs.

Also, any recommendations for people to build up the wheel? I live in the Cape Town's southern suburbs.

For wheel builder I recommend Lance at Epic Bike Shop. Builds great wheels.

Thanks for the advice guys. Will definitely try Epic Bike shop for the wheel build.

Ciao

Whatever you do stay away from Easton!

+100000000000

well I had a very bad experience with their carbon rims, so I dont want Easton anything, I dont even buy their arrows for my bow anymore.

Edited by GlockG4

Don't get Stans. Not proper tubeless rims and in 26" your tyre choices are being limited to mostly tubeless tyres. Fitting can be a pain. WTB and Onza still bringing in excellent tubeless tyres. Best cheapest combo is WTB rim and tyre. The i25 are excellent.

Edited by Robodog

Not sure why the Easton hate, I've done 4000+km on EA70XCTs and they're still alright. Best of all they're proper UST so no need for tape & easy to seat tyres.

Don't get Stans. Not proper tubeless rims and in 26" your tyre choices are being limited to mostly tubeless tyres. Fitting can be a pain. WTB and Onza still bringing in excellent tubeless tyres. Best cheapest combo is WTB rim and tyre. The i25 are excellent.

Stans not proper tubeless rims? What are you smoking? Stans started the tubeless revolution. They opted to have the open spokes that needed to be taped closed to make maintenance easier. Have you ever tried replacing a spoke in a mavic rim? And Stans can be inflated using a tiny pump because of the great rim shape.

Tubeless tyres being a pain to fit means they are harder to burp or climb off the rim.

Side note : WTB sued by a chop in America who decided it was their fault that he crashed, so they tightened their tolerances on the rim/tyre interface. Now they stick to the rim like glue.

Side note : WTB sued by a chop in America who decided it was their fault that he crashed, so they tightened their tolerances on the rim/tyre interface. Now they stick to the rim like glue.

So that's why I keep falling, and here I thought it was lack of skill :whistling:  :whistling:

Stans not proper tubeless rims? What are you smoking? Stans started the tubeless revolution. They opted to have the open spokes that needed to be taped closed to make maintenance easier. Have you ever tried replacing a spoke in a mavic rim? And Stans can be inflated using a tiny pump because of the great rim shape.

Tubeless tyres being a pain to fit means they are harder to burp or climb off the rim.

Everything you state is true. Without giving you the full answer, I will instead pose a question: Why does a proper UST tyre not fit onto a Stans rim?

WTB not only tightened their tolerances after that lawsuit but they make proper UST tyres and rims.

Everything you state is true. Without giving you the full answer, I will instead pose a question: Why does a proper UST tyre not fit onto a Stans rim?

WTB not only tightened their tolerances after that lawsuit but they make proper UST tyres and rims.

I've fitted proper UST tyres to a stans rim. Continental Mountain King to a Flow rim. My guess is that the stans rim sidewall is slightly higher? The reverse of trying to fit a Sagauaro to any rim?

So my answer is: I don't know, please enlighten me.