Need advice with indoor trainers for winter

acs971

Hi Guys

I started cycling about a year ago and would like to continue training indoors in the winter as it gets dark early, have been looking at cycleops supermagneto trainer and cycleops jet fluid trianer.

Has anyone used these trainers before and can advise whether they are good for training and any other brands that you guys can recommend. My budget is around 4 - 4.5 k .

Thanks 

I train on Tacx I-Vortex, linked to my PC. You can download videos or train using the software that comes with the trainer. Very versatile and definetly worth it. There is a indoor racing league using Tacx trainers. The only downside is the cost which is a bit over your budget. B

Why don't you have a look at the Elite Qubo Power Mag trainer at about RRP R 5 ,399.00. This is a Intelligent Indoor Training with Smart Phone & Tablet Compatibility, without paying a fortune. Check out all the possibilities that Elite My E-Trainer has got to offer in the Video below.

http://www.elite-it.com/en/products/trainers/indoor-trainers/qubo-power-mag

Thanks for the reply, do you ship to Johannesburg or is there any stockists of these products in Johannesburg? 

And what is the warranty on the frame?

Elite Trainers has a two year warranty.

Where exactly do you stay in Jo'burg, so that I could possible direct you to the closest dealers?

I have both a Jet fluid Pro and and Tacx Booster. Both amazing but for a just set and ride I would go for fluid resistance although magnetic is a lot more quiet.

Think the progressive curve of the Supermagneto and the 4 different presets might be a winner.

Hope this helps.

PS. Invest in a trainer mat and a sweat catcher. 

Go and have a chat to Gareth from MelowVelo. He will be able to help you out with an Elite Trainer;

info@mellowvelo.co.za

Elite Trainers has a two year warranty.

Where exactly do you stay in Jo'burg, so that I could possible direct you to the closest dealers?

I live in Johannesburg south, work in central johannesburg , anywhere in johannesburg is fine for me.

I have the SuperMagneto trainer and it does the job (for me). I find the power values are slightly higher than on a watt bike, but as long as I train in the zones it's a good enough workout.

The subscription to Cyclops Training software is what keeps the training interesting, and well worth the monthly fee (tablet version, think it's $5.99/month)

I have the SuperMagneto trainer and it does the job (for me). I find the power values are slightly higher than on a watt bike, but as long as I train in the zones it's a good enough workout.

The subscription to Cyclops Training software is what keeps the training interesting, and well worth the monthly fee (tablet version, think it's $5.99/month)

And how is the realism of the supermagneto, also is it good for power training and hill training?

And how is the realism of the supermagneto, also is it good for power training and hill training?

Compared to the price of the powerbeam, I think the resistance is good enough.

I know how hard a 20 minute FTP test is on a watt bike, and this is not far off it, on the higher side.

I think the hill climb setting is a waste, as you're riding at a 90rpm cadence in a big gear but you're only riding 25-27km/h on the training software - that doesn’t feel real at all. If you're big into Strava, then KOM's stack up quite easily. I select the stationary trainer on Strava which then removes the route details and no-one gets upset.

An hour's workout on this trainer beats an hour missed. My club has a 34km early morning ride on a Saturday, which I ride during the week on the road or interval setting - depending on my interval training for each week. It feels harder on the trainer than the real ride, so for me it's a better workout.

I also did the Argus 47km virtual ride on race day - 1:20:30, which was slower than reality.

Power values on the software is calculated based on 1 of the 4 settings selected, and the speed sensor required on the rear wheel.

Resistance can changed by changing gears, which is pretty much like riding on the road, but without elevation changes. For that you'd have to change the setting on the trainer and software. So, IMO, it's good enough for interval training that doesn’t require elevation based resistance... time trials, sprints, long intervals in various HR/Power zones and similar.

Hope this helps.

I live in Johannesburg south, work in central johannesburg , anywhere in johannesburg is fine for me.

If you're going to get the SuperMagneto, then go direct to Cycleops in Rivonia.

Rivonia Drive and 7th (I think).

From the oprating manual:

Lifetime Manufacturer’s Warranty CycleOps warrants your product to be free of any defects in material or workmanship. This warranty does not apply to parts that have been worn out through normal use or damaged through misuse, abuse, neglect, accident, or unauthorized modification. Where applicable, incidental and consequential damages are not covered, and there are no other warranties, expressed or implied. This warranty applies to the original owner only. Retain your receipt as proof of purchase. Warranty Claims and Replacement Parts If anything goes wrong with your CycleOps Trainer, you must call us on our toll-free Warranty Hotline 1-(800) 783-7257. We’ll determine what parts you need, and we’ll provide you with instructions on how to quickly get a replacement part so you can get back on your trainer as soon as possible. Customers outside the United States should contact their dealer for warranty service.

Edited by geraldm24

Compared to the price of the powerbeam, I think the resistance is good enough.

I know how hard a 20 minute FTP test is on a watt bike, and this is not far off it, on the higher side.

I think the hill climb setting is a waste, as you're riding at a 90rpm cadence in a big gear but you're only riding 25-27km/h on the training software - that doesn’t feel real at all. If you're big into Strava, then KOM's stack up quite easily. I select the stationary trainer on Strava which then removes the route details and no-one gets upset.

An hour's workout on this trainer beats an hour missed. My club has a 34km early morning ride on a Saturday, which I ride during the week on the road or interval setting - depending on my interval training for each week. It feels harder on the trainer than the real ride, so for me it's a better workout.

I also did the Argus 47km virtual ride on race day - 1:20:30, which was slower than reality.

Power values on the software is calculated based on 1 of the 4 settings selected, and the speed sensor required on the rear wheel.

Resistance can changed by changing gears, which is pretty much like riding on the road, but without elevation changes. For that you'd have to change the setting on the trainer and software. So, IMO, it's good enough for interval training that doesn’t require elevation based resistance... time trials, sprints, long intervals in various HR/Power zones and similar.

Hope this helps.

Thanks for the advice really appreciate it. 

I have a Tacx i-magic. I love it, but would not buy Tacx again for so long as they insist on locking their hardware to their own proprietary TTS software. This stops you from broadcasting power to any other platform, and its limiting - (I cant race my lawnmower against @dipslick 's washing machine since he threw his Tacx away and went Cycleops). If I ever have to upgrade, I will go the cycleops Powerbeam route. Problem is that the Tacx is sturdy, trouble free and a Strong bastard of a machine (software bugs have been resolved too), so I wont have an excuse to churn to Cycleops for some time.

With winter approaching, its almost time to start the weekly Hub Tacx races again though.

I have a cycleops fluid 2 and its super quite I live on the second floor in a two bedroom flat and no one has ever complained about my early morning trainings not even my wife in the next room and once the fluid is warm there is more than enough resistance its very similar than the jet pro but for under R4000 and as far as online reviews goes the lifetime warranty service seems solid .......im very happy with my cycleops