Coming soon . . . . part two of The "Long and Grinding Road" Trilogy . . . .

Will Pepe "Pepito" San Pedro stop Bonus & Wendy from following their dream . . . ? Can Ramon the Friendly Farmer and his wife help . . .? Whose side will Ramons estranged eldest son, Ramon pequeña (Jnr) and his silent young wife take in all of this . . . .? And why the heck don't they sell Cadburys chocolate in Spain??????

These questions and more will be answered tonight, after we return from watching stage 15 of la Vuelta a Espana . . . .

:-)

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Will Pepe "Pepito" San Pedro stop Bonus & Wendy from following their dream . . . ? Can Ramon the Friendly Farmer and his wife help . . .? Whose side will Ramons estranged eldest son, Ramon pequeña (Jnr) and his silent young wife take in all of this . . . .? And why the heck don't they sell Cadburys chocolate in Spain??????

These questions and more will be answered tonight, after we return from watching stage 15 of la Vuelta a Espana . . . .

Your (current) life story reads like a soapy...

As for the Cadbury... After following your story I'll just have to come and make use of your hospitality... And will bring you a box full of the stuff

A real Telemundo [emoji16] [emoji6]

A real Telemundo [emoji16] [emoji6]

I've heard that CBS is following this thread in order to copy elements of the story into both Bold & the Beautiful and The Young & the Restless. :whistling:

Sent from my GT-S6790 using Tapatalk

I am not entirely sure that I could live without Cadbury's chocolate!

But then again there ought to be a huge supply of Swiss and Belgian chocolates? Or am I mistaken?

But then again there ought to be a huge supply of Swiss and Belgian chocolates? Or am I mistaken?

There is a load of choice of "foreign" chocolate - but I only really like cadburys  :-(

Oh there is that. Bonus does not enjoy these. I do of course

There is a load of choice of "foreign" chocolate - but I only really like cadburys :-(

Haha!

When I was still a trainee in the maritime field the ship I was on called on Bilbao. I had a chance to get some shore leave and spent some time walking around the part of the city that borders the harbour. There was this little shop near the Vizcqaya (spelling) bridge that has stuck in my memory because of it's smallness, like literally 5x5 m, and it's wide variety of chocolates. Would definitely have bought some but we hadn't yet received our cash advance so I was essentially broke. And that sucked because every where I walked there were guy's selling roasted caramelized nuts, something else I love.

Bilbao is still the most beautiful city I've been too outside of Cape Town.

Oh there is that. Bonus does not enjoy these. I do of course

Well that's handy info. So when any of us come over we need to bring Bonus some Cadbury and you some Swiss and Belgian chocs (can't imagine that it's cheap over there) in order to get discount/preferential treatment! :whistling:

Mntboy ALL South African peeps will get preferential treatment and anything extra i can chuck in. Not sure how big the discounts will be but it will most certainly be discounted. I love meeting South Africans here. Well it's only been 3 and 2 were living in the UK but hey they count for the accent at least. Oh and Louis Meintjies yesterday. I was so tearful I asked him if I can hug him. He said yes. Bonus said I can be his European mom. ????. What a lovely young man. His other must be so proud. (Sorry off topic there a bit)

Edited by Wendy

Mntboy ALL South African peeps will get preferential treatment and anything extra i can chuck in. Not sure how big the discounts will be but it will most certainly be discounted. I love meeting South Africans here. Well it's only been 3 and 2 were living in the UK but hey they count for the accent at least. Oh and Louis Meintjies yesterday. I was so tearful I asked him if I can hug him. He said yes. Bonus said I can be his European mom. ????. What a lovely young man. His other must be so proud. (Sorry off topic there a bit)

And sometimes my sense of humour doesn't always translate so well over the interwebs. Oops sorry, was only trying to pull your leg!

You and Bonus strike as such genuine people with huge hearts and following this thread has been informative and inspirational to say the least. As for the discount stuff, when it comes to the service industries I generally don't ask for a discount. Mostly because I know how hard they work and how often they don't always get treated with the respect they deserve so I prefer to just pay the price for whatever service was rendered.

As for LM, Bonus made mention of it in the LV thread, and it sounds as though his parents raised him well and I'm sure he wouldn't be able to find a better European mom than you.

Apologies all round here Mntboy I didn't think you were being rude at all. But it's nice to chat.

Thanks for the mom compliment. My kids are so far away I will take on any that come my way

All good then, just a bit of misunderstanding on my part.

I find that being separated from one's family does take it's toll. So I can understand why you're happy when you hear a saffer accent. While not family it's people of the same or similar mindset and that can help lift one when it gets a bit hard. This new venture is not an easy thing but it is a brave one. Not so sure I could make such an adjustment if I didn't have my family with me.

To put that into perspective: I am currently on a ship in Walvis Bay Anchorage. My four month contract period is complete and the comms from my manning agency says they don't have a reliever for me (a requirement for ships is that staff can not go home without someone replacing them unless it's an emergency) and what's worse is the Chief Officer is unconcerned to remind them that I need one as I would like to go home. Amping to get home. So very frustrating for me. Definitely the worst part of the job is the waiting to have a reliever.

So ja I am rather impressed at your and Bonus' fortitude! Hopefully you'll meet a few more Saffers in the coming months!

Apologies all round here Mntboy I didn't think you were being rude at all. But it's nice to chat.

Thanks for the mom compliment. My kids are so far away I will take on any that come my way

The Long and Winding (and treacherous!) road to our ongoing quest to obtaining planning permission for our project . . . . . . (Part 2)

When you buy a property in a developed or built up area the boundaries of the property are generally clear. Fences or walls exist and all parties concerned usually know where their property ends and someone else's begins. In the case of rural properties like ours, the lines are usually just as clear, but they will often be lines formed by trees & hedges, rivers or ancient stone walls. The principal is the same though - the agreed lines are the limits of the property.

Here in Spain the department that looks after boundaries and the like is called the "Department of the Catastral" - (Department of Maps). Or as we've named them now - the Department of Catastrophies.

It turns out that some 90% of all the rural maps held by the Catastral are incorrect. They thought they were doing ok but with the advent of Google Earth and similar mapping systems it turns out that they are not doing ok at all.

It's not entirely their fault - farmers have had a habit of selling off bits of property over the years but not telling the council or the Catastral (Capital Gains Tax avoidance) and so the maps are simply out of date. Now this isn't a problem if both parties are still alive, have their faculties and are still friends, but it becomes a huge problem if any (or all) of those criteria are not filled. Guess which camp we fall into . . . . . . ;-)

So, Ramon the friendly Farmers family sold some of their land many years ago without doing the correct paperwork. Then as the farm was left from one generation to another the neighbours gradually fell out with each until present time - where no love is lost between them.

On the Pic attached you can see a green arrow leading from the end end of the municipal road onto our front garden (which will be where our drive is) but it crosses a piece of property numbered 03 - this land belongs to Pepe. Pepe was annoyed that his enemy (or rather his families enemy) has sold a property (to us) and made some money so now to be difficult he has decided that maybe he doesn't want us driving over his land. The land in question is actually a big flat turning area where cars and farm vehicles can park or turn. The department of planning permission in Ainsa have said they will not proceed until this issue is resolved  . . . . 

Now the story get both complicated and intriguing - the architect called for a meeting on site to resolve the problem. The meeting included us - fresh back from the UK, Pepe the land owner, Ramon Snr (the previous property owner), estranged Ramon Jnr - who owns property No 5, the Architect and the Estate Agent. The estate agent says she was under the impression that access to our front garden was allowed because of the "historic right of way" that has been set over the years - but she is also the niece of Pepe, so she doesn't want to get too involved. Ramon Snr insists the historic right of way dictates access, but he won't talk to Pepe directly, only to the architect. Ramon Jnr says (grudgingly) that his dad is legally right but that he told him to have this stuff written down "before the property went on the market!" because he knew this would happen! The architect who is trying to sort this all out is not doing it purely out of the goodness of his own heart . . . .he owns the estate agency who, if push came to shove, would be sued for selling a property and not disclosing existing problems . . . . Halfway through the meeting the "Family of Pepe" arrived. This is his other niece and her husband and their 24 year old son. It turns out that they actually own the house and the land, not Pepe. Now they are annoyed with Pepe for causing trouble with the new neighbours (us) but they can't show their anger in front of Ramon Snr - enemy of the family . . .. The niece and the architect come to an agreement that we will continue to drive across the land as always and this agreement is explained to us by their son - the only one in their family that speaks English.

So, we have an agreement written up, the architect draws up a plan showing all of our actual boundaries in their correct positions and everyone is happy. The agreement is signed the next day in the architects office and we take it to the municipal office for the town architect explaining to him that he can now proceed with our planning application . . .  From here everything should be ok, right?

Two days later we get a message from the architect to say that Alberto, a different neighbour (and friend of Pepe's) who has a holiday home with land adjoining us has issued an objection to our planning application . . . . . 

to be continued . . . . .

post-4874-0-53746700-1473104989_thumb.jpg

Edited by Bonus

The Long and Winding (and treacherous!) road to our ongoing quest to obtaining planning permission for our project . . . . . . (Part 2)

When you buy a property in a developed or built up area the boundaries of the property are generally clear. Fences or walls exist and all parties concerned usually know where their property ends and someone else's begins. In the case of rural properties like ours, the lines are usually just as clear, but they will often be lines formed by trees & hedges, rivers or ancient stone walls. The principal is the same though - the agreed lines are the limits of the property.

Here in Spain the department that looks after boundaries and the like is called the "Department of the Catastral" - (Department of Maps). Or as we've named them now - the Department of Catastrophies.

It turns out that some 90% of all the rural maps held by the Catastral are incorrect. They thought they were doing ok but with the advent of Google Earth and similar mapping systems it turns out that they are not doing ok at all.

It's not entirely their fault - farmers have had a habit of selling off bits of property over the years but not telling the council or the Catastral (Capital Gains Tax avoidance) and so the maps are simply out of date. Now this isn't a problem if both parties are still alive, have their faculties and are still friends, but it becomes a huge problem if any (or all) of those criteria are not filled. Guess which camp we fall into . . . . . . ;-)

So, Ramon the friendly Farmers family sold some of their land many years ago without doing the correct paperwork. Then as the farm was left from one generation to another the neighbours gradually fell out with each until present time - where no love is lost between them.

On the Pic attached you can see a green arrow leading from the end end of the municipal road onto our front garden (which will be where our drive is) but it crosses a piece of property numbered 03 - this land belongs to Pepe. Pepe was annoyed that his enemy (or rather his families enemy) has sold a property (to us) and made some money so now to be difficult he has decided that maybe he doesn't want us driving over his land. The land in question is actually a big flat turning area where cars and farm vehicles can park or turn. The department of planning permission in Ainsa have said they will not proceed until this issue is resolved . . . .

Now the story get both complicated and intriguing - the architect called for a meeting on site to resolve the problem. The meeting included us - fresh back from the UK, Pepe the land owner, Ramon Snr (the previous property owner), estranged Ramon Jnr - who owns property No 5, the Architect and the Estate Agent. The estate agent says she was under the impression that access to our front garden was allowed because of the "historic right of way" that has been set over the years - but she is also the niece of Pepe, so she doesn't want to get too involved. Ramon Snr insists the historic right of way dictates access, but he won't talk to Pepe directly, only to the architect. Ramon Jnr says (grudgingly) that his dad is legally right but that he told him to have this stuff written down "before the property went on the market!" because he knew this would happen! The architect who is trying to sort this all out is not doing it purely out of the goodness of his own heart . . . .he owns the estate agency who, if push came to shove, would be sued for selling a property and not disclosing existing problems . . . . Halfway through the meeting the "Family of Pepe" arrived. This is his other niece and her husband and their 24 year old son. It turns out that they actually own the house and the land, not Pepe. Now they are annoyed with Pepe for causing trouble with the new neighbours (us) but they can't show their anger in front of Ramon Snr - enemy of the family . . .. The niece and the architect come to an agreement that we will continue to drive across the land as always and this agreement is explained to us by their son - the only one in their family that speaks English.

So, we have an agreement written up, the architect draws up a plan showing all of our actual boundaries in their correct positions and everyone is happy. The agreement is signed the next day in the architects office and we take it to the municipal office for the town architect explaining to him that he can now proceed with our planning application . . . From here everything should be ok, right?

Two days later we get a message from the architect to say that Alberto, a different neighbour (and friend of Pepe's) who has a holiday home with land adjoining us has issued an objection to our planning application . . . . .

Oh man.. what a story and what a gemors[emoji6]

Sounds like a soapie, EISH makes you wonder how many other cousins, mothers, aunties friends own or have issues with you owning changing "your property"

Sounds like a cast from handy Manny, Ramon, Pepe , Jnr,snr

These are the days of W&b lives,,,,

Can't wait for the next episode,,,

On the Pic attached you can see a green arrow leading from the end end of the municipal road onto our front garden (which will be where our drive is) but it crosses a piece of property numbered 03 - this land belongs to Pepe. Pepe was annoyed that his enemy (or rather his families enemy) has sold a property (to us) and made some money so now to be difficult he has decided that maybe he doesn't want us driving over his land. The land in question is actually a big flat turning area where cars and farm vehicles can park or turn. The department of planning permission in Ainsa have said they will not proceed until this issue is resolved . . . .

So, we have an agreement written up, the architect draws up a plan showing all of our actual boundaries in their correct positions and everyone is happy. The agreement is signed the next day in the architects office and we take it to the municipal office for the town architect explaining to him that he can now proceed with our planning application . . . From here everything should be ok, right?

This is so sad... I can only imagine how frustrating this must be.