Newbie - entry level bike advice please

Rogueblue

No, not at all. They just add weight and complexity. You've got plenty to think about on a bike without having to worry about two extra levers on your bars.

And you can save loads of cash by specing the bike without brakes.

Also, the minimalist look is really cool. Just remember the old adage; Form over Function, and you'll be golden.

Thanks Gecko. I was planning on also doin it with my hands tied behind my back, so ok will dump the brakes

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks every one (and especially Gecko) for all your great input.

With one day in on the forum alone & with no bike YET ... it seems like it's already getting complex even in just this one post lol.

Well considering I'm a total complete unknowledgable newbie, I think it might be best to go new, caue yep I don't know much about ... wait let me rephrase ... I don't know Anything about maintenance & yes all these different componenets and potential upgrading sounds very overwhelming.

Another day out at the bike shops & picking salesmans brains (have to get 3rd and 4th opinions to find out who is actually telling the truth & not just talkin BS to make a sell) ...

I'm now thinking the Silverback 29'er Spectra Comp ... what you think of this, going around R6600 ... worth it? Decent components for the price?

http://www.silverbacklab.com/bike/mountain/silverback-spectra-29-comp/

And is it good enough to do semi-offroad? Like easy parts of Tokia or Silvermine?

(no nothing extreme down hill of course)

Ps ... I'm really looking for at this stage a bike that I can do road & also some occasional offroad, like Tokia & silvermine etc. The mountain isn't close to where I stay so I know I won't get there often & will want to use the bike to just be more active daily which would be road, But then want to get it to the mountain or more specifically country offroads when I can.

Thanks again

Edited by Rogueblue

That bike would be okay for pretty much all of Tokai and everything at silvermine, it's the person in control that would struggle more than the bike. [emoji1]

Just remember that Tokai and Silvermine are currently closed. When you get the bike give meerendal a try.

Hi all

I'm newbie & need some help please....

Don't worry about what you've heard about Silverback. They make great, reliable bikes that offer great value for money. If you'd like to chat about options pop in or give us a call. We'd gladly help you with no obligation to buy from us.

Oh and ps ... what size bike am I looking at? I'm about 84kg & 1.79m height.

And what is the ideal wheel size for a recreational biker ... the mid 27.5" ?

Thanks again

We'd say go for a Large. Would have to check your inseam and reach, though.

Thanks every one (and especially Gecko) for all your great input.

With one day in on the forum alone & with no bike YET ... it seems like it's already getting complex even in just this one post lol.

Well considering I'm a total complete unknowledgable newbie, I think it might be best to go new, caue yep I don't know much about ... wait let me rephrase ... I don't know Anything about maintenance & yes all these different componenets and potential upgrading sounds very overwhelming.

Another day out at the bike shops & picking salesmans brains (have to get 3rd and 4th opinions to find out who is actually telling the truth & not just talkin BS to make a sell) ...

I'm now thinking the Silverback 29'er Spectra Comp ... what you think of this, going around R6600 ... worth it? Decent components for the price?

http://www.silverbacklab.com/bike/mountain/silverback-spectra-29-comp/

And is it good enough to do semi-offroad? Like easy parts of Tokia or Silvermine?

(no nothing extreme down hill of course)

Ps ... I'm really looking for at this stage a bike that I can do road & also some occasional offroad, like Tokia & silvermine etc. The mountain isn't close to where I stay so I know I won't get there often & will want to use the bike to just be more active daily which would be road, But then want to get it to the mountain or more specifically country offroads when I can.

Thanks again

Rogue you can't go wrong with Silverback bru. They make some epic bikes. Make use of Cycle Factory's offer and test ride a few of the bikes in your budget to get an idea of what bike might suit you best.

Riding a 29er is much easier than 26inch wheels...rolling resistance over obstacyles. i cant believe that people still try say 26 inches are ok. Why would we all be overwhelmingly riding 29ers.

Riding a 29er is much easier than 26inch wheels...rolling resistance over obstacyles. i cant believe that people still try say 26 inches are ok. Why would we all be overwhelmingly riding 29ers.

Because you ride too much gravel road.

Was at Chris Nixon's Cycling Academy recently with a friend who owns a Spez Stumpy 29er. The following day we rode to the Kings block house at Rhodes Memorial. At Nixon's my mate persistently complained that his bike was a poor fit there. His wheels not liking the tight turns or rather so he claimed. He much preferred our ride at Rhodes Memorial. I reckon perception plays a big role in the wheel size debate.

Because you ride too much gravel road.

How do you know someone is a dirt roadie? A 29er is their be all end all bike!

Jokes aside 29ers are great for XCO/XCM but for everything else a 26er or a 275er will do.

Was at Chris Nixon's Cycling Academy recently with a friend who owns a Spez Stumpy 29er. The following day we rode to the Kings block house at Rhodes Memorial. At Nixon's my mate persistently complained that his bike was a poor fit there. His wheels not liking the tight turns or rather so he claimed. He much preferred our ride at Rhodes Memorial. I reckon perception plays a big role in the wheel size debate.

Jokes aside 29ers are great for XCO/XCM but for everything else a 26er or a 275er will do.

The person I quoted yaps on with such authority about how superior her 29er is, but oddly in another thread when I challenged her to race my 11 year old (on his useless 26 inch wheels) down the trails at Tokai she stayed quiet.

To be fair he would have murdered her, 29 inch wheels included...

Ummm ... ok what's "XCO/XCM"? lol

Cross country & cross country marathon.

It's fair to say when new to this there are a dazzling array of acronyms for a whole bunch of stuff you will never have heard of.

If you are at all like me you will currently be working under the assumption that mountain biking is one big sport/activity, when the truth is it is divided into multiple disciplines that all spit venom at each other. So what you need is many bikes to make sure you have all your bases covered, and each bike needs to cost the gdp of a small country. 

But one bike is a bloody good start.

http://www.ibikeride.com/beginners-mtb/1505-the-different-mountain-biking-disciplines-and-bikes-explained

XCO = Cross Country Olympic which is lap based racing lasting about an hour and a half. Used at the Olympics and forms a part of the World Cup races.

XCM = Cross Country Marathon which is a point to point race over a big distance and can take several hours to complete. Each stage of the Cape Epic is an example of XCM race with the Epic then being referred to as a XCM stage race.

Don't worry you will get to know the terms as you get into the sport.

The person I quoted yaps on with such authority about how superior her 29er is, but oddly in another thread when I challenged her to race my 11 year old (on his useless 26 inch wheels) down the trails at Tokai she stayed quiet.

To be fair he would have murdered her, 29 inch wheels included...

Yip I recall that challenge. You're just gonna have to do it at Nixon's! Lol!

Wheels are only as useless or useful as the person behind the bars!

So do you guys think a SB Spectra Com is a good "all rounder" (onroad & offroad) and with decent component specs for R6600?

http://www.silverbac...pectra-29-comp/

I think so yes. It'll definitely be a good bike to learn on. Should be a fun ride and for now that's actually the most important bit. Remember to set some money aside for a helmet, a pair of cycling pants (baggies or lycra) and a set of gloves. A budget of R1500 should cover this easily.

Edit: Layout

Edited by Mntboy