Merida or Trek

jonnow

Hey Edman, what news on your bike quest?

@ jonnow: Looks like the Merida has the edge on price, but the colour scheme on the Trek looks nicer to me.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey Edman' date=' what news on your bike quest?[/quote']

I'm going to try go and check out some second hand bikes tomorrow. I'll do a full update on my thread when I get home this evening.

In comparing the geometry of the Merida to the Trek, I noticed that there is quite a difference between the bikes. For example, I ride a size 56cm bike (not Trek or Marida) and according to the geometry posted on the respective sites, if I go by the top tube specs, I'd ride a 50 or 52.5cm Merida and a 56cm Trek. If I go by the seat tube spec then I'd ride a 55 or 57.5cm Merida and a 56cm Trek.

I'd try each bike to check the comfort before I'd buy.

Smile 

If you are considering a second hand road bike than put the Raleigh ALU RC7000 into your list (2006 model) nice entry bike

ROAD BIKES   
    *SUGGESTED RETAIL (INCL VAT)
MODELCOLOURKGXSSMLXL
ROAD 880-24MATT BLACK/RED9,9  R 4 599,00
ROAD RACE 901-18BLUE/BLACK9,3   R 5 799,00
ROAD RACE 903-181RED/BLK 2.MATT GREY/BLK9,2   R 6 999,00
ROAD RACE 904-COMSHINY DARK SILVER/BLK8,9   R 9 499,00
ROAD RACE 905-COM1WHITE/BLACK8,4  R 11 499,00

SCULTURA SPECIAL EDITION-COMCARBON/WHITE DECAL8,2   R 15 999,00
SCULTURA EVO 907-COM1.WHITE/CARBON 2RED/CARBON7,8   R 20 999,00
SCULTURA EVO 909-20SHINY DARK SILVER/CARBON6,8   R 35 999,00
SCULTURA EVO TEAM-20MATT BLACK/CARBON6,7   R 34 999,00

WARP 5 (TRIATHLON)GLOSSY WHITE9,4    R 13 999,00
WARP 9 (TRIATHLON)MATT BLACK 8,8    R 19 999,00

MTB FRAMES   
MODELCOLOURKG 16182022
CARBON FLX TEAM CARBON/TEAM FLAME    R 10 999,00
CARBON FLX 2000-DCARBON/WHITE FLAME    R 10 999,00
MISSION CARBON TEAM CARBON/TEAM FLAME    R 14 999,00

ROAD FRAMESETS   
MODELCOLOURKGXSSMLXL
SCULTURA EVO 909CARBON/SHINY SILVER   R 13 999,00

In comparing the geometry of the Merida to the Trek' date=' I noticed that there is quite a difference between the bikes. For example, I ride a size 56cm bike (not Trek or Marida) and according to the geometry posted on the respective sites, if I go by the top tube specs, I'd ride a 50 or 52.5cm Merida and a 56cm Trek. If I go by the seat tube spec then I'd ride a 55 or 57.5cm Merida and a 56cm Trek.

I'd try each bike to check the comfort before I'd buy.
[/quote']

The Meridas have a compact frame geometry, so go for the sized based on the top tube length (AH on their size chart).

Those prices:

Wow, the 904 has gone up R1500 since I bought mine 18 months ago!

I'd buy second hand, those bikes you are looking at are 9 speed Sora/Tiagra equiped. Go secondhand and get something with a 10 speed groupset, it will save you upgrading later on!

Looking at those retail prices it looks like I actually got a good deal on the Merida scultura evo team frame I bought new for 9k

Well, thanks for your input guys.

I have decided on the 901-18 for my first bike, and ordered it as the shop didn't have my size. Then today i got told that the distributor wasn't able to deliver my bike as they were too blogged down due to most of their reps being at the Epic.

I'm sure that you can figure out how happy I was. Regardless of what is going on, clients still want their stuff/products. Or so I think running a product delivery based business. Thankfully the boys at CycleLab in Centurion had one in stock and I will - if all goes to plan - take delivery tomorrow morning.... Big%20smile

Enjoy the rest of the weekend guys... I know i will

Welcome to the cycling industry - don't expect customer service to be any better from the other distributors.

It just really *&^%$# me off as I was quite excited to get my new gadget today. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.

• 4 weeks later...

It just really *&^%$# me off as I was quite excited to get my new gadget today. Hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.

Just thought I might BUMP this up. 

I put my name down in a book at my LBS(not mentioning names yet) 4 weeks ago for a Merida 903, they told me it will be here on 28 April.  Now, they tell me it will only come in August!  I am not happy! Angry Angry

GRRR... that is really irritating. Can't you try get it from somewhere else? I called around a bit to find my bike.

Worth a try maybe