Ant+ on reinforced concrete roads

Offord

My Garmin Edge 800 with Ant+ accessories has recently been momentarily indicating Auto Pause followed straight away by Auto Resume, for no apparent reason, when my bike has been in motion. Today it did it repetitively, to my annoyance but I then realised that it coincided with riding on a steel-reinforced concrete road. As soon as I went onto a "normal" gravel and bitumen road the problem disappeared. Could the steel in the road be interfering with the radio signal from the Ant+ speed device?

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never experienced anything like this yet, very interesting. Please post some feedback when the problem is sorted.

can only interfere by emission of a disrupting signal of some sort. But it can't prevent communication of the head unit with the sensors via absorption.

Which road were you on that was steel reinforced? are you sure there are no other signal emitters along that section of road?

From a cursory search, it seems as if there are reports of interference from WiFi signals and sources of Bluetooth, as well as power lines and RF interference from seemingly benign things (even lights set to flash)

So no, not the road itself as Cap says principally because a road or rather the reinforcing won't give off any signals unless it has cabling or some sort of signal generating device underneath it.

My Garmin Edge 800 with Ant+ accessories has recently been momentarily indicating Auto Pause followed straight away by Auto Resume, for no apparent reason, when my bike has been in motion. Today it did it repetitively, to my annoyance but I then realised that it coincided with riding on a steel-reinforced concrete road. As soon as I went onto a "normal" gravel and bitumen road the problem disappeared. Could the steel in the road be interfering with the radio signal from the Ant+ speed device?

That Gonubie road is like the Bermuda triangle, shrouded in mystery.

Like the mystery of when will it eventually be completed? will it ever happen?!?!

That Gonubie road is like the Bermuda triangle, shrouded in mystery.

Like the mystery of when will it eventually be completed? will it ever happen?!?!

We are patiently waiting

Been year 6 years and have never known the road without some form of roadworks.

Interference may be from the power lines running next to the main Rd

The problem was noticed on the new Gonubie Main Road in East London. The road is still under construction. Even as a civil engineer, I was amazed at the amount of steel cage being laid before the concrete is poured.

My suspicions about the concrete road being the cause of the interference were "reinforced" when, on riding the "Gonubie Loop" 10 times yesterday, the same Ant+ interference occurred on every lap when I rode over another 100m of concrete road.

Interference may be from the power lines running next to the main Rd

Do you perhaps know what voltage is running along those power lines? if its a 400 kV, then its quite possible the line is inducing currents in the rebar, which in turn is generating its own field of radiomagnetic emission. That can cause interference via induction in the bicycle sensors.

Case in point: this is what happens even without rebar. Field strength is sufficient to light up flourescent tubes stuck in the ground:

http://files.doobybrain.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/electromagnetic-fluorescent-bulb-light.jpg

tubes_and_pylons_at_dusk.jpg

http://www.safespaceprotection.com/cmsimages/sources/safe-living-distance-to-power-lines.jpg

Do you perhaps know what voltage is running along those power lines? if its a 400 kV, then its quite possible the line is inducing currents in the rebar, which in turn is generating its own field of radiomagnetic emission. That can cause interference via induction in the bicycle sensors.

Case in point: this is what happens even without rebar. Field strength is sufficient to light up flourescent tubes stuck in the ground:

http://files.doobybrain.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/02/electromagnetic-fluorescent-bulb-light.jpg

http://www.safespaceprotection.com/cmsimages/sources/safe-living-distance-to-power-lines.jpg

Was thinking along those lines as well, but was waiting for you to chip in as you know a LOT more about that than I

My knowledge of electricity is dangerous. But will it help if I tell you the lines feed the main substation which in turn feeds Gonubie?

Lots of lines that go bzzzzzzzz when you pass them.

My knowledge of electricity is dangerous. But will it help if I tell you the lines feed the main substation which in turn feeds Gonubie?

Lots of lines that go bzzzzzzzz when you pass them.

There you go.

oh and kids, please, dont ever do what the guy in the 2nd pic is doing. just dont.

Play with a light sabre? Why not you old spoilsport?  :( I was already planning a trip to Koeberg. ;)

Archived