Small Frame....29" or 27.5" wheels ?

johnson

Thanks for all the opinions !

I Think Eldron's last post helped me to make up my mind.

The bike was going to be a Scott Spark but wasn't sure about 900 or Contessa 700.

The model I want to buy is a Spark 940 in size small. After lots of comparison between

size charts, the numbers on the 900 small looks like the best suited candidate.

Any more info and opinions are welcome. 

Maybe sharing my experience would assist.  I am 1.69m tall and used to ride a 29er hardtail, but this year switched to a 650b dual suspension and to me it has been a huge improvement (both are size small, but as has been mentioned, it depends on the make).  I just feel more comfortable, I have a better feel for the bike's "weighting" and movement, and the dual suspension makes a big difference, on technical sections, but also on the dreaded "sinkplaat" you get on some farm roads (sooo much more comfortable).

That being said, many of my girlfriends prefer 29ers.  However, most ladies I know would rather ride a dual suspension than a hardtail.  Personally I would stay away from female specific bikes, you tend to get less for the same price and your resale market is very small.  

PS - Lucky lady getting a new bike!

She's not a hardcore racer. Ride for fitness and fun with the occasional local race or maybe a Trailseeker or two. Our local conditions isn't very technical. Mostly dirt roads with some occasional short single tracks.

I Am curious why Scott for example make the woman specific Contessa models only in 27.5" wheels and Specialized has the Rumor and Era in 29".

Have done some research and all three of those models seem to be very good and capable bikes ?

I Am searching for a bike for my wife. Her length is 1,64 and inseam is 73cm.

Her current bike is a Medium 26" hardtail and it fits her quite good. I Want to upgrade her bike to a dual suspension.

What would the better option be: 

(1) Small frame with 29" wheels

or

(2) Medium frame with 27.5" wheels ?

Would like to hear some of the shorter riders opinions.

Thanks.

here's a medium 26er duallie. lovely bike

https://www.bikehub.co.za/classifieds/137035-ellsworth-truth/

I'm a lady, 1.64m tall and ride a small Scott Contessa Spark 700 RC 27.5. Took some getting used to from the 26 as I found the ride higher (like why is the ground so far away) than before (26" extra small).

Finding my balance was a challenge initially but pleased to say we have become one. I do however like the technical stuff and think that a 29er would give me more pace on the district road sections but definitely more agile than my mates on their big wheels in tight turns.

29ers do eat up road pretty quickly but in the hands of a skilled bike handler it should be pretty quick in the twisty stuff too. That said I am very happy to ride my Silverback Slade 1 27.5er.

Archived