Deliberate attack on rider during BestMed Capital Classic road race

theRussian

Police will say they have bigger cases to solve. I can not arrange the detail but I will make a decent contribution towards a PI to get someone to take a bit of punishment for the **** we as cyclists have to deal with daily. I am sure there will be others that agree. I am to scared to ride in some races in this geknelde land....

TALUS, thank you for your most generous offer.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

That is a good idea and I am pretty sure it has been compulsory on pretty much all cars in SA since about 2013. If you have the part send me PM I know both. The Datadot and Veridot guys quite well. Most police stations have microdot scanners as well.

Thank you Rotiringer! We will PM you soon.

This is from a Bicycling article on the race, and I quote:

"Pretoria is set to play host to the inaugural Bestmed Capital Classic road race on May 17. Organisers ASG Events believe the new 99km race, which rolls out from SuperSport Park in Centurion, is set to become the city’s signature mass participation cycling event.

Rider safety is of paramount importance on the busy Gauteng roads; therefore there will be partial road closures in effect along the Ben Schoeman highway and N14 freeway to Muldersdrift near Krugersdorp.

The Tshwane, Mogale City and Johannesburg metropolitan police departments, provincial traffic authorities and ASG officials will patrol the out-and-back route, which features minimal road crossings and right turns for maximum safety.

Race director Wynand de Villiers said the event had been four years in the making and the official support of all relevant state departments and national agencies such as Sanral meant that riders could look forward to the safest possible riding environment.

“This event will be a much needed addition to the Pretoria cycling calendar and gives Gauteng cyclists a fantastic challenge as we head towards the colder months.”

De Villiers said his organisation presented several national road classics around the country, including the Action Ford Berge en Dale, Emperors Palace Classic, Bestmed Satellite Classic, Sondela SuperClassic and Jock Cycle Classique.

Quite ironic that this happened. I trust Mr Wynand De Villiersas wellas ASG events as well as whoever sanctioned this race will take up the incident and pressure the police to do something about it as well as getting it into the mainstream media!

What I would also suggest is give all the details of the car description and the false reg number to all the neighbourhood watche's in the area as most of the watches have a radio link network going on all the time and you never know a member could spot it.

And also I always tell people if there is an accident and there are people attending to the injured and you see or think you see the car driving away just chase the car or try follow it and get more details of the car and then you can come back to the accident to report the incident, To many times you read and hear of people saying "they think it was this and maybe that" and by then the driver is long gone.

Good luck with trying to track this dingbat down

• 2 weeks later...

Any updates? I agree with DJR the organisers need to man up and take this as high as possible.

Hi NixM, not yet. We are in communications with the organisers now. I need to get back onto this and devote more time to it...been swamped lately, but can't let this idiot get away.

What I would also suggest is give all the details of the car description and the false reg number to all the neighbourhood watche's in the area as most of the watches have a radio link network going on all the time and you never know a member could spot it.

And also I always tell people if there is an accident and there are people attending to the injured and you see or think you see the car driving away just chase the car or try follow it and get more details of the car and then you can come back to the accident to report the incident, To many times you read and hear of people saying "they think it was this and maybe that" and by then the driver is long gone.

Good luck with trying to track this dingbat down

Thanks Buell, great tips.

• 4 months later...