Left vs Right power

Hi

I am looking for feedback on the "typical" numbers that you may have seen for left vs right power distribution.

My current difference as measured with a Wattbike (at the gym) is about 53/47 but sometimes as bad as 56/44. Is it worth investing time to try and even this number out or could that result in overall watt dropping as one might unconsciously reduce the effort of the stronger leg.

Keen to have some comments or observations

Thanks

The literature on this seems to indicate that the differential between the legs changes from time to time - mostly depending on how fatigued you are - so see how it looks after a 3 hour ride...

Personally I would not worry too much - my stages pm and my powertap give very similar numbers (yup - have run them both at the same time to compare with 2 head units)

Hi

I am looking for feedback on the "typical" numbers that you may have seen for left vs right power distribution.

My current difference as measured with a Wattbike (at the gym) is about 53/47 but sometimes as bad as 56/44. Is it worth investing time to try and even this number out or could that result in overall watt dropping as one might unconsciously reduce the effort of the stronger leg.

Thanks

We looking forward to getting our new PowerTap P1 pedals that are one of only 3 systems out on the market that will actually measure power on the left and right the other two are Garmin and InfoCrank. once we get these pedals we will be running a test on the P1 pedals, PowerTap hubs, Stages left arm, NEW PowerTap C1 chainrings and a computrainer to see how left right changes between all the units and how it changes as one increases intensity and how those changes are reflected on each PM system......

We looking forward to getting our new PowerTap P1 pedals that are one of only 3 systems out on the market that will actually measure power on the left and right the other two are Garmin and InfoCrank. once we get these pedals we will be running a test on the P1 pedals, PowerTap hubs, Stages left arm, NEW PowerTap C1 chainrings and a computrainer to see how left right changes between all the units and how it changes as one increases intensity and how those changes are reflected on each PM system......

Oh forgot we will also have a SRM on there for good measure..... 

Going to be running some Christmas in July specials when those arrive by any chance??? :ph34r:  :whistling:  :whistling:

Same problem. 53-47 is no big deal even 54-46 is still in the safe zone. Keep an eye on it though and try reduce you RPM to even it out and then increase your cadence. If the difference increases to 55-45 and beyond the stronger leg might take strain and start to compensate some muscle to cope which could lead to injury like back pain. That is an extreme case though.

My power difference is currently 54-46 max dew to a weaker knee. Go see a Physio if you are concerned.

Going to be running some Christmas in July specials when those arrive by any chance??? :ph34r:  :whistling:  :whistling:

I don't think so, we will run a pre order system for the P1 pedals and C1 chainrings, the first couple of shipments are already sold out. 

I'll be willing to be a test subject for those pedals vs. Stages.  ;)

Being a sceptic and all......... :whistling:

We would like Bruce to test everything as he has the equipment, we will make sure all systems are calibrated according to each brands spec's. should be a fun test to run..... 

Hahahaha +1, running a Sram Red Quark.

Hi

Thanks

Guess I am not to bad then at 51/49 , some days it even moves to 49/51.

Not saying there is a lot of power produced though.

I think there is a bigger difference with arms and hands (left vs right) than with legs.

Could one leg be a tiny bit shorter than the other? This could be corrected via proper setup I think to help equal things out.

I did extensive reading on the matter when considering the benefits of a pedal based Power meter. All the literature that I have read says that up to a 8% swing is ok and you shouldn't be too worried. So anything up to 58/42 shouldn't hinder performance too much.

My tests indicated that I was 51% left 49% right at FTP. Which was a surprise as I always thought my right was stronger.

Note: I am not doctor, this is just the conclusion I drew from various papers on the matter as well as advice from the experienced guys I spoke too.

We also need to keep in mind that L:R balance WILL change as intensity increases, you putting the body under a load it is not comfortable with and thus will not react in the same way when riding in L2 for example. fatigue also plays a role, the longer you ride or as your start to have power drop off in peak powers like 5min etc the body will also react differently.

in general i do not think the L:R ratio means very much at the end of a ride, just think off all the time one of free wheeling or messing around.....

L:R balance when doing an interval may mean something however i am still not convinced on this. i do however think that pedal stoke analysis is more important !! being able to see how power is being transferred within the pedal stoke and from this we can then pick up "dead" spots. the new PowerTap P1 pedal will measure the vectors of ones pedal stroke ever 5' on each pedal revolution !! this should make for more interesting discussions..... 

Thanks all for the good responses, Will the P1 be MTB compatible?

We have no plans to have a pedal based PM for MTB, we unsure where the rumors a pedal based PM are coming from....

The pedals are a major concern when MTB'ing as the amount of times you bottom the pedals out on rocks etc or when rocks fly up and hit the bottom of the pedal. no only that but the pedals are also the closest point of contact to the ground of all the PM locations, this is a concern when heading to water crossings, they will be the first things to get wet !!

further to this if PowerTap were to put a PM anywhere other than the hub it might be the crank although this to me does not make seance as the new PowerTap G3 disc hub is ONLY 350g !! a Hope Evo hub is 295g meaning the PowerTap is ONLY 55g heavier. considering this is NON rotational mass will it really have an impact on performance??  any crank system you put on WILL be heavier than the 55g the new G3 disc hub will add.

Archived