Left vs Right power

We have no plans to have a pedal based PM for MTB, we unsure where the rumors a pedal based PM are coming from....

The pedals are a major concern when MTB'ing as the amount of times you bottom the pedals out on rocks etc or when rocks fly up and hit the bottom of the pedal. no only that but the pedals are also the closest point of contact to the ground of all the PM locations, this is a concern when heading to water crossings, they will be the first things to get wet !!

further to this if PowerTap were to put a PM anywhere other than the hub it might be the crank although this to me does not make seance as the new PowerTap G3 disc hub is ONLY 350g !! a Hope Evo hub is 295g meaning the PowerTap is ONLY 55g heavier. considering this is NON rotational mass will it really have an impact on performance??  any crank system you put on WILL be heavier than the 55g the new G3 disc hub will add.

Thanks for the response, the leaves the magic question- how to get left/ right power readings on a mountain bike??

Thanks for the response, the leaves the magic question- how to get left/ right power readings on a mountain bike??

At the moment the only systems i know of that offer L:R on MTB are Stages and QuarQ both good units however keep in mind my comment on L:R, i dont feel this is a useful metric. pedal stroke analyse on the other hand is something to invest in, this can be done through a set of P1's for the road for training or a simple indoor trainer that gives power, pedaling on an IDT keeps things consistent and under control, the added benefit of power on an IDT shows if you improving..... 

Look at doing 2 IDT workouts a week, say a Tuesday and Thursday, Tuesday being the longer efforts say 3 x 10min @ 90 % of FTP with Thursday shorter more intense workouts, this will without doubt make a come effective and stronger cyclists.... 

• 1 year later...

Was going to start a new thread but this seems like a logical place to post this.

I have a stages power meter on my bike and on my IDT this morning trying hit those numbers I realised that there is quite a lot of fluctuation in power output even though the cadence and gear selection are constant. Now some of that can probably be put down to pedalling style but it got me wondering...

As you are trying maintain a certain power output and given that the measurement is only taken from the left leg and doubled is there a possibility that you are actually creating a power imbalance favouring the left leg as that would theoretically give you a higher power output? By purposefully only pedalling with one or the other leg you can vary the power output by up to about 100w.

Related to your question:

Every rider has a degree of power imbalance anyway in the same way that humans are not built symmetrically.

A few ways to ensure you get closer to 50-50 power, so to speak, is to do single leg presses at gym or one-leg pedaling.

(I run Stages too)

Typically you see a 5% left discrepancy in individuals between L or R leg depending on dominant side. Sometimes due to injuries and so forth it can be greater. 

However, it does not mean you producing less power or are worse off if you have a PM that is only reading L leg for example. You still climb the hill at the same speed just power is read differently. People look at the number and think "Im useless this unit is wrong" its not.

Typically you see a 5% left discrepancy in individuals between L or R leg depending on dominant side. Sometimes due to injuries and so forth it can be greater.

However, it does not mean you producing less power or are worse off if you have a PM that is only reading L leg for example. You still climb the hill at the same speed just power is read differently. People look at the number and think "Im useless this unit is wrong" its not.

The cat man makes a very good point!

Consistent numbers being used against a consistent baseline is all that's it's about.

The cat man makes a very good point!

Consistent numbers being used against a consistent baseline is all that's it's about.

Hahaha, yes that's me.

If you come off a meter that used L&R and now on a single leg just adjust the numbers accordingly and use those going forward. Drop FTP by 5/10/15% accordingly and work from that. At the end of the day your VAM and time will be the same if not quicker as you get stronger. 

If you worried that you no longer do 300w for 20min and now only do 270W and don't like the number then there is bigger issues at hand here.

Progression is progression regardless of the meter used.

• 4 months later...

I wasn't aware of the fact that Wattbikes can measure L:R balance.

I have a Power2max PM and for some reason, since I switched bike my L:R balance it's different then what it was used to be. That's kind of bothering me and I was actually thinking to buy the Garmin Vector to measure the  L:R balance properly. Well I guess I'm going to find a Wattkibe and save this money  :clap:

Archived