131 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to go with?

• Sram GX
    • Shimano XT 1x11

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Why xt cassette? Weight? Obv not gear spread 

'cos I don't want to buy another hub and rebuild a wheelset JUST to run a full SRAM setup. It's an extra cost... 

If I were going for a brand new wheelset as well, then I'd consider it and weigh up the costs. But my new bike's hubs are not convertible. 

I really dont see the point of the shimano 11 speed. Then you might as well convert your 10speed to 1X10 and get a 42adapter for the back.

For me its the 10t small blade at the back and the XD driver that makes it worth your while to go SRAM. Yeah yeah it more expensive but if you cant afford it then stick to your 1X10 and save a lot of money. Between the 1X10 (with 42t adapter) and 1X11 Shimano there wont be that much of a difference.

I really dont see the point of the shimano 11 speed. Then you might as well convert your 10speed to 1X10 and get a 42adapter for the back.

For me its the 10t small blade at the back and the XD driver that makes it worth your while to go SRAM. Yeah yeah it more expensive but if you cant afford it then stick to your 1X10 and save a lot of money. Between the 1X10 and 1X11 Shimano there wont be that much of a difference.

Shimano's 11-speed offers more progressive shifting than most wide ratio 10-speed offerings. 

To add to my post above, the only reason I will buy a 1X11 shimano groupset is if the XT11 Speed cassette plus 11 speed shifter is cheaper or the same as the XT10 speed cassette plus 42t adapter. 

Edit: I actually forgot about the derailleur... which will add to the cost of the 11speed shimano groupset. I will much rather keep my 10 speed, way cheaper.

For me its the 10t small blade at the back and the XD driver that makes it worth your while to go SRAM. Yeah yeah it more expensive but if you cant afford it then stick to your 1X10 and save a lot of money. Between the 1X10 and 1X11 Shimano there wont be that much of a difference.

OR, I could go for the major bits and then when I upgrade a wheelset, get the XD driver.

10sp is what I had (and what I will have, in about 2 weeks) and it'll be 1x10 as soon as I get it. I'll then sell off the XT / SLX bits, upgrade to GX / X1 / whatever and go for the Shimano cassette.  

10t is a relatively minor benefit to me compared to the larger cogs, and with the shimano cassette I still have the option of going for the 45t expander ring, which would give me the same range as the SRAM cassette but with less outlay. Plus as Odinson says - the 1x10 with expander has a slightly compromised gear spread...

To add to my post above, the only reason I will buy a 1X11 shimano groupset is if the XT11 Speed cassette plus 11 speed shifter is cheaper or the same as the XT10 speed cassette plus 42t adapter. 

Edit: I actually forgot about the derailleur... which will add to the cost of the 11speed shimano groupset. I will much rather keep my 10 speed, way cheaper.

It becomes a lot clearer when you're considering a new build or need to upgrade your whole drivetrain (chainrings, derailleur, cassette etc) but you're looking at it from the viewpoint of changing from what you currently have ie a complete upgrade when your existing bits are fine. From that side, changing cassette ONLY will always win. 

There are such people that adopt tech early on, or want the benefits that the newer derailleurs offer (newer parallelograms and better chain retention etc) so for them it's a case of either getting the whole whack once off, or upgrading bit by bit. 

The bit by bit guys will have a look at their existing setup and likely come up with the same argument as me - what is the most cost effective way to go to 1x11 with my non xd-driver compatible wheelset. 

Answer - SRAM / Shimano drivetrain and a shimano cassette. XD compatible hub, cassette & wheel rebuild to come later... 

I am a Grippy Fan , so I'm going to get the rear Derailer and grip shift from Sram and the Cassette from Shimano, chain, the cheapest 11 speed, also the Shimano Cassette save you having to buy a XD free body  

I am a Grippy Fan , so I'm going to get the rear Derailer and grip shift from Sram and the Cassette from Shimano, chain, the cheapest 11 speed, also the Shimano Cassette save you having to buy a XD free body  

EXACTLY. Plus you get almost the same range. Yes, an 11-45 standard would have been better, but heck it's a step in the right direction. 

If I didn't have to get a new hub to do the XD driver, I'd go SRAM. But I'll have to, so I won't.

My entire drivetrain is nearing the end of its life, so upgrading everything to the new XT 11s makes sense to me.

XT over Sram every time.

'cos I don't want to buy another hub and rebuild a wheelset JUST to run a full SRAM setup. It's an extra cost... 

If I were going for a brand new wheelset as well, then I'd consider it and weigh up the costs. But my new bike's hubs are not convertible. 

That'll only work is the spacing between the sprockets of the cassette is the same.

Is it?

That'll only work is the spacing between the sprockets of the cassette is the same.

Is it?

yeah, you can slot an 11sp shimano cassette on to a 10sp body. Same width overall thanks to the dishing that the bigassmofo granny has. No need to change the freehub. 

EDIT: The spacing between the sprockets isn't the same - the overall width of the cassettes is the same. 8/9/10/11 on MTB is all the same width. Only on road cassettes are the 11sp bodies wider by necessity, cos the big ring can't be dished as much as the MTB can. 

yeah, you can slot an 11sp shimano cassette on to a 10sp body. Same width overall thanks to the dishing that the bigassmofo granny has. No need to change the freehub. 

EDIT: The spacing between the sprockets isn't the same - the overall width of the cassettes is the same. 8/9/10/11 on MTB is all the same width. Only on road cassettes are the 11sp bodies wider by necessity, cos the big ring can't be dished as much as the MTB can. 

That's NOT what I was asking. I'm referring to the spacing between the SRAM and Shimano 11s MTB cassettes.

If not, you won't be able to use SRAM 11s with Shimano 11s cassette

Archived