SRAM GX vs SHIMANO XT 1x11

DanielJhb

SRAM GX vs SHIMANO XT 1x11  

131 members have voted

1. 1. What are you going to go with?

• Sram GX
    • Shimano XT 1x11

I have been running a wide variety of parts since I started riding a mtb.

New setup will be,

Sram 34T chainring (had to go with sram because of sram carbon crank)

11-42 XT cassette

XT chain

Xtr jockey

Just waiting for my XT shifter then I can start building, hope all goes well

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have been a shimano fan for very long time and would never had thought of going with anything else. Needless to say my GX 1x11 is on its way. My drive train needs replacing and budget wise the gx makes sense. I have been riding 1x for almost one and a half years now and it simply works great for my riding style. Its Very simplistic and maintaining my bike is hassle free keeping it clean is easy. Bonus is no FD issues

All Weights as per website

Sram GX

Shifter 144g

Derailleur 265g

Crank 680g incl chainring

Cassette 394g

Chain 258g

Total 1741g

R6500 CRC Landed

Shimano XT M8000

Shifter 144g

Derailleur 273g                            

Crank 717g incl chainring

Cassette 450g

Chain 257g

Total 1841g

R6659 CRC Landed

Weight has never been a factor for me. But more best value for money. I have to say that at the price and what i get, sram is pretty much bang on target with what they have going here. Price and weight is neither here nor there so it will come down to lifespan of the drivetrain. Lots of variables there as well.

Eager to fit my groupset and to see what all the fuss is about :thumbup:

My 5 cents and home work done in regards to my buy!

How is the GX 1x setup so far?

Gents just a quick question......!

Would i be able to run a Shimano 11 speed cassette with GX shifter and derailleur. I can't seem to find a XD driver for X9 hub.....!

1. Would this conversion be compatible...

2. If not where can a find a XD driver for X9 HUB !!!

Much appreciated 

Would i be able to run a Shimano 11 speed cassette with GX shifter and derailleur. I can't seem to find a XD driver for X9 hub.....!

Much appreciated 

I've been running this setup, works 100%.

Much appreciated

Yes

I've been running this setup, works 100%.

Would you say the GX derailleur and shifter is better than the Shimano XT or is just a case of not having to change the XD driver for the GX casette?

Would you say the GX derailleur and shifter is better than the Shimano XT or is just a case of not having to change the XD driver for the GX casette?

Yes.

• 3 months later...

I have a complete Sram GX group on my Scalpel. My previous bike had XT.

Nothing wrong with the shifting of Sram, but Shimano is just more crisp.

Same for my road bikes. Ultegra 6800 groupset. Shifting way nicer than previous Red. Even 105 (5800) shifts smoother.

Okay... I am a huge Shimano fan...lol

Some advice please: If I'm running a 1x10 setup,XT cranks with a Hope n/w chainring, what's the cheapest way to upgrade to 11 speed (with a non-xd driver)? I'm assuming a new 11x chain, RD, and shifters? Would my existing crank + chainring be ok? Would XT or NX both be compatible?

Some advice please: If I'm running a 1x10 setup,XT cranks with a Hope n/w chainring, what's the cheapest way to upgrade to 11 speed (with a non-xd driver)? I'm assuming a new 11x chain, RD, and shifters? Would my existing crank + chainring be ok? Would XT or NX both be compatible?

Both would work

• 1 month later...

Just curious.... but how does the Gx 2.0 10 speed rear derailleur compare to sram x9 2.0 .? Has anyone done this comparison yet?

Just curious.... but how does the Gx 2.0 10 speed rear derailleur compare to sram x9 2.0 .? Has anyone done this comparison yet?

Not sure on the 10sp, but the 11sp GX shifts better than the 10sp X9 IMO. More crisp and deliberate. 

Archived