29+ SS Steel build

Ryan-0

Hi all,

Interested in building up a rigid steel frame single speed with 29'+ tyres/rims. Anyone undertaken this project yet? Specifically interested in finding out which frames u find suited the trail riding on the 29'+ and clearances they require vs 27,5'+ debate. I want the chunkier tires to soften the lack of suspension so 3' probably... I'm a heavy rider 95kg.

Hi all,

Interested in building up a rigid steel frame single speed with 29'+ tyres/rims. Anyone undertaken this project yet? Specifically interested in finding out which frames u find suited the trail riding on the 29'+ and clearances they require vs 27,5'+ debate. I want the chunkier tires to soften the lack of suspension so 3' probably... I'm a heavy rider 95kg.

100kg rider .Love the frame.Rigid fork will be 1kg lighter .Suggest strong rear tyre like vittorio saguaro ,rubena ,crossmark ,ardent .2,4 clearance is max .29 all the way .Best frame will be one with adjustable horizontal dropout where the brake caliper moves with the dropout ,like the lynsky , Ritchy frames .My first choice will be a ritchy steel 29 frame .On -one has stopped making these frames for a while now .I bought my frame for 92 british pounds 3years ago .Alternative is a fatbike post-26961-0-42543100-1433657751_thumb.jpg Edited by Blitzer

Hi all,

Obviously the Surly Krampus is designed for just this purpose. Amongst others, but is probably to most accessible of the 29+ frames.

Otherwise most rigid forks will be able to run a 3.0" tyre. So you could run a normal steel frame with a 2.4 or 2.5 rear tyre and the 3.0" up front. The front wheel will require a 50mm rim to accommodate the fatter tyre.

100kg rider .Love the frame.Rigid fork will be 1kg lighter .Suggest strong rear tyre like vittorio saguaro ,rubena ,crossmark ,ardent .2,4 clearance is max .29 all the way .Best frame will be one with adjustable horizontal dropout where the brake caliper moves with the dropout ,like the lynsky , Ritchy frames .My first choice will be a ridley steel frame 29 frame .On -one has stopped making these frames for a while now .I bought my frame for 92 british pounds 3years ago .Alternative is a fatbike image.jpg

These Inbred SS frames are still available... OP drop a PM if you're interested in one.

Damnit. Ryan beat me to it. The Surly Krampus is the obvious choice, but keep in mind that there is a flood of 29+ bikes on the horizon. 

Also keep your eyes peeled for the new Trek Stache - something I would consider if I were to go the 29+ route.

Thanks Ryanpmb. Looking for as many options as I can to start narrowing down depending on frame geometry etc. I'll give u a shout if I decide to go that route. Thanks for the input so far.

I've seen the Krampus in action riding plus size tires last weekend which is what got me on to this thread. I'm not completely sold on the geometry hence my quest to see what other ss steel bikes are riding the plus sizes. Any thoughts on Salsa El Mariachi if that can take on the plus sized tires?

I've seen the Krampus in action riding plus size tires last weekend which is what got me on to this thread. I'm not completely sold on the geometry hence my quest to see what other ss steel bikes are riding the plus sizes. Any thoughts on Salsa El Mariachi if that can take on the plus sized tires?

IH8MUD has a El Mar. Get hold of him. I don't think they'll have the rear spacing for plus tyre. You'll need a plus specific frame...

Pm the flippa. He rides a krampus. It's fantastic, seriously awesome bike to ride.

You rang?

Been riding the Krampus since late last year. Awesome bike. Obviously with the 3" tyres there is traction for miles. I feel that the geometry is a bit slacker than most hardtail and it's a really fun bike to hop and jump over those trail obstacles. It doesn't feel a whole lot different to my other bikes to get up to speed.

Play lots with tyre pressure, I'm down to 0.6 bar out back and 0.4 bar in front and my regular ride is Thaba Trails, so very rocky.

Just be aware that sourcing tyres will be an issue. Obviously the Surly Knard is easily available, but if you're looking for alternatives with reinforced casing and tubeless beads, it will be a struggle. The Bontrager agent won't bring in the Chupacabra currently, not even on special order, the Panaracer Fat B Nimble is not available, Vittoria Bomboloni not available, Vee Trax Fatty is only a 2.7". The Maxxis Chronicle is supposed to be available, but I haven't seen any.

If you're in Jhb, PM me and you can take mine for a spin.

Any chance you were out in the south last weekend? We came across a rider with 3 ' tires on a Krampus wondering if that was maybe you?

Any chance you were out in the south last weekend? We came across a rider with 3 ' tires on a Krampus wondering if that was maybe you?

Probably was. Whereabouts were you?

We met at quite a serious rocky outcrop. You guys were climbing up and we were sitting at the top debating which lines to take. We left from the old Zoo at Rietvlei.

Edited by Ryan-0