forks for a giant revel

eccc whippet

Need some advice with regards to a new fork for a giant revel...i want to replace the fork on my giant revel...i see there are lots in the classified...but dont have a clue what would be suitable for my application...weigh 110 kg and doing the 40 km rides...like the karkloof classic...baynesfiled 45km and gona start spending more time at giba.

I know everyone is gona say say dont waste your money...if i had R25 k right now i would be upgrading to a giant anthem...but until i get the 25k the revel will have to do for now.

The only problem i am experiencing with the revel is the fork is pathetic...my fillings are failing out my teeth from all the bouncing ;( ( just kidding) but you get the idea....i know i should get a dual suspension bike...all in good time.

for now all i want to hear is what would be the best option...at a reasonable price...i could always sell the fork and put the revel one back on when i upgrade and sell the bike.

try get a used Rock Shox Reba, if, you can get one with a 15mm axle. (might need to replace your front hub but will be worth it)

edit: el captain on the money.

Edited by rock

I'm sitting with the same issue. I have the 2014 Revel 0. K@K front shock and no money to buy a new bike with all the fancy bits so I am upgrading what I can as I can.

Also looking for a 100mm air shock, only catch is 95% have tapered head tubes (mine has the straight head tube). Luckily I spoke to my LBS and they say you can get an adapter so that your bike can handle a taper. They cost around R400 including fitting the adapter and shock.

Just another thing to keep in mind, You dont want to go too big on the front shock (high mm) as this apparently messes with the geometry of the bike and can make it very uncomfortable to ride as well as damage the structure of the frame... not sure how accurate this is but its worth confirming. 

. Luckily I spoke to my LBS and they say you can get an adapter so that your bike can handle a taper. They cost around R400 including fitting the adapter and shock.

any idea what this is called?

any idea what this is called?

Sadly, I have no clue... was a bit of a rushed day and didn't even hear who makes them

Some frames will allow for an external headset cup that will allow you to run a tapered fork. 

May or may not be possible on this bike.

Sadly, I have no clue... was a bit of a rushed day and didn't even hear who makes them

Edit, what Maxxis said, didn't know that you could sometimes run a tapered in a non tapered headtube.

You have it the wrong way around:

A tapered fork won't ever fit into a non tapered frame, but you do get an adapter that allows a straight fork to work in a tapered headtube.

I have a Fox Float F29 straight steerer with 15mm through axle standing around that I may just as well put up in the classifieds, bought myself a Reba because it fits better with my bike's color scheme :)

Edited by Mongrel

you do get that even a used reba and a new hub  the fitting of both will cost almost what you paid for the whole revel 29 bike :blush:

and at the end you will have gone sideways and spent money on a bike that you will never get back when you sell it

just live with it and enjoy yourself with it till you get another bike

Edited by velomonatiCT

Some frames will allow for an external headset cup that will allow you to run a tapered fork. 

May or may not be possible on this bike.

44mm headtube required.

Edit, what Maxxis said, didn't know that you could sometimes run a tapered in a non tapered headtube.

A tapered fork won't ever fit into a non tapered frame, but you do get an adapter that allows a straight fork to work in a tapered headtube.

I have a Fox Float F29 straight steerer with 15mm through axle standing around that I may just as well put up in the classifieds, bought myself a Reba because it fits better with my bike's color scheme :)

No, mongrel, you're wrong. Maxxis is right but you need a head tube of 44mm diameter in order for it to work.

On your 2nd point you are correct though

Edit: didn't see your edit.

Edited by El Capitan

My Revel fork packed up within a year of purchase and Giant replaced it with a Suntour XCR free of charge and I have had no problems riding at Meerendal,Koeberg or K2C

Been chatting to other local cyclist and heard some interesting options....if i cant get a fork to fit the revel then it must go...the forks make it a crap ride...especially if you are over 100 kg...was very happy with the revel doing social weekend rides...but after attempting the 40 km rides...it punishes your body.

I have a friend in elgin that rides a standard revel 29 with upgraded brakes he goes everywhere on it in the Overberg (it will break eventually im sure)

100k + in a day no problem for him or it

just remember a  more expensive bike wont  make you a better or fitter rider (something lots of people on shiney expensive bikes are compensating for -and they are only kidding themselves)

http://www.bikeradar.com/news/article/new-headset-allows-use-of-tapered-steerers-in-some-1-1-8in-head-tubes-25275/