Suikerbosrand Nature Reserve back in business

awesme

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't know if I should be happy that it is open - this just means a lot of pain

You guys are making me very curious, will have to go next weekend.

I don't know if I should be happy that it is open - this just means a lot of pain

A necessary evil. 

We are riding from benoni to suikerbosrand, a loop around and back again. Awesome 160km route planned for Saturday!

Whoop whoop!!!!

You guys are making me very curious, will have to go next weekend.

Pack your climbing legs and granny gears! There are some gnarly little climbs and some long drags. 

So as final confirmation is the suikerbosrand reserve open tomorrow?

We have planned a massive ride and don't want to ride all the way there and it is closed.... Assuming it opens at 7am

Tried phoning but no answer

Happy to report that it's all systems go for cyclists. South entrance gate is open too for those wanting to do just a short 45 odd km lap, which we did this morning.

I'll post on this one as the title spelling is better than one of the others and it has more replies than the third thread.

Soooo - it was great to be back in SBR today. Cold and clear and very little wind, got there after midday and there were maybe five cars in the car park.

The new detour round the base of the mountain, to avoid the first big hill is a godsend and the Mugg and Bean franchise at the picnic spot is a great addition*.

The road surface is fine and the animals all seem to be present and correct - saw all the usual suspects plus a chubby jackal near the end who popped out on the road and sprinted away ahead of me, much faster than I was going.

The gate folk were pleased to see me and said it was busy in the morning. The water is on at the Karekloof gate and there's a good no entry for cyclists sign to stop some one-way-the-wrong-way riding. Otherwise it's all just the same as it was - perfect, if a bit hilly.

Really happy to have it back.

(*possibly not true)

The new detour round the base of the mountain, to avoid the first big hill is a godsend)

Explain please. What detour is this?

In two weeks I can start cycling again. I can't think of a nicer place to REALLY suffer for a first ride.

Explain please. What detour is this?

Please follow the asterisk to the bottom of the post.

I was going to say about the chair lift and the ranger staff decked out as cheerleaders to welcome all cyclists at the top of the last climb, but thought I would leave them to be surprises.

Archived