Suikerbosrand Nature Reserve back in business

awesme

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Rode the reserve this morning. It was windy. I am unfit. It was a mistake. My HR hit 199 on the final climb and I was passed by a MTB with knobblies. My time was 2:45 for the loop, a full 35 minutes off my better times.

I loved it.

sorry don't know if this has been answered here (battling to keep track with the 3 threads about this topic, maybe an F-Bomb will make admin see our requests to merge them :ph34r: ) is the southern gate by the R557 road open or just the northern gate?

I entered at the northern gate but saw a lot of activity and people entering on the southern side when I limped past. It certainly appeared to be open.

R25 per person & R15 per car I think.

Is the cost confirmed, or only a guess?

We (club) are planning to ride there and some say R25 while others say R35 for cyclists.

Is the cost confirmed, or only a guess?

We (club) are planning to ride there and some say R25 while others say R35 for cyclists.

I can confirm the price is R25 per person and R15 per car

• 3 weeks later...

As usual the gate guardians are playing silly buggers, i think its R40 for one person to get in but they charged my friend and I, both cyclists and travelling in one car, R65 last weekend. I think they needed change for their smokkling cash plan!

Did my first loop there on Saturday.... HOLY COW.

Why didnt you guys say this place existed!! Really cool, and good training.

Everybody told me the start is tough, but they left out that little surprise at the end!

I really like that you could ride in a relaxed state, chat and not worry too much about cars. Was almost taken out by a buck bouncing across the road though.

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss153/Patch-elicious/SBR_zps8a5ufzbo.jpg

As usual the gate guardians are playing silly buggers, i think its R40 for one person to get in but they charged my friend and I, both cyclists and travelling in one car, R65 last weekend. I think they needed change for their smokkling cash plan!

That looks about right.

It's R25 per cyclist, plus R15 per the car.

So, 2x R25 + R15 = R65

Did my first loop there on Saturday.... HOLY COW.

Why didnt you guys say this place existed!! Really cool, and good training.

Everybody told me the start is tough, but they left out that little surprise at the end!

I really like that you could ride in a relaxed state, chat and not worry too much about cars. Was almost taken out by a buck bouncing across the road though.

http://i571.photobucket.com/albums/ss153/Patch-elicious/SBR_zps8a5ufzbo.jpg

I assume you started at the main car park. A nice alternative is to park and start at the Circus (start venue for the Race for Victory), then ride to the "back" entrance at Kareekloof. If you like a post-ride coffee or snacks or something else, then they're perfectly situated.

You then have a choice of a full lap or only the big loop, or a combination of both if you really want the extra distance and some serious elevation gain.

13Km - distance from Circus to Reserve

58Km - full loop (both short, 13Km and long, 45Km)

45Km - long loop only

13 + 58 + 45 + 13 = 129Km

post-1372-0-76924800-1440419347_thumb.png

We usually ride to the reserve and back, giving us about 134 - 150Km depending on the options, but then the elevation gain is only about 1200m.

I assume you started at the main car park. A nice alternative is to park and start at the Circus (start venue for the Race for Victory), then ride to the "back" entrance at Kareekloof. If you like a post-ride coffee or snacks or something else, then they're perfectly situated.

You then have a choice of a full lap or only the big loop, or a combination of both if you really want the extra distance and some serious elevation gain.

13Km - distance from Circus to Reserve

58Km - full loop (both short, 13Km and long, 45Km)

45Km - long loop only

13 + 58 + 45 + 13 = 129Km

attachicon.gifSBR.PNG

We usually ride to the reserve and back, giving us about 134 - 150Km depending on the options, but then the elevation gain is only about 1200m.

That sounds like a lekker option! Let me know when you will be doing it again, and I'll trail along.

That sounds like a lekker option! Let me know when you will be doing it again, and I'll trail along.

Weekend after next, I think. I'll confirm later in the week if we're riding there and back or doing the 1 & 3/4 laps.

Archived