Jonkers Nationals Downhill track

Headshot

Yes saw them near the road gap. They didn't really showed the mineshaft on the live stream, but was talking about it all the time.

Commentator was terrible... 

"Downhill bikes are very different animals to cross country bikes - their saddles are waaaaay lower..."

"Boing"... (when referring to someone boosting the road gap)

"Oh, a bouncy landing - that was cool" - when someone flat landed the road gap and had a tad too much rebound...

Getting names wrong left right and centre in the beginning... 

But yeah, it was good! Can't wait to ride the track. At a far lower pace, that is!

Was great seeing some of the serious talent out there! Especially with some of the younger riders. How was that 9 year old who hit the road gap?! Very impressive. Does anyone know if the track they used is open now, or any of the other singletrack sections around Jonkers?

Edited by Devon Mans

Was great seeing some of the serious talent out there! Especially with some of the younger riders. How was that 9 year old who hit the road gap?! Very impressive. Does anyone know if the track they used is open now, or any of the other singletrack sections around Jonkers?

Afaik it'll be open next weekend, minus the road gap as that's a working road.

Took the kids and wife for a ride to Jonkers yesterday - watched the finals around the road gap area.

Track was a bit greasy - caught out a few people on the corners. Considering how soft the slope was around the track, they did a good job getting the venue up and running. 

Saw the 9 year old Zach hitting the road gap and many others giving it a miss.

I last rode that track  a year or so back when it was bone dry and full of  sticks and baboons and dogs chasing them ( WTF?) - its good fun and the mine shaft is great especially when you come on it unseen as we did. My wife rode it and almost had a heart attack - its super steep. 

The crowds were reasonable I thought - it was a chilly day and the parking lot below was full. Not sure that track is WC level tho - many people rode it on enduro bikes  - Stow was on a 29er trail bike and Nixon won the Masters on an Enduro 29er. Its also a bit short at 1.5 km or so. Maybe it could be extended upwards a bit with some switchbacks...

After the racing I rode to the top of never ending story and down. Thats a great track now and even better with no bushes at the trail side thanks to the fire... Jonkers is such a spectacular venue.