PWC Bike Park

Jester6

You can go cycling in Switzerland but R75 is too expensive  :whistling:

It's not the price. It's not being able to ride the fun bits that you'd been looking forward to (after you'd paid) because some kid started crying when he saw the big bikes on the pump-track, and the dad becomes super-annoyed because can't you see that the kids are on the track.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have a x20 entry card I bought in January...used it 3 times  :eek:  (so yes in this year I have been to the park 3 times = most for me in a year too)

Then it worked out to R30 per entry

Guess for me it isn't about the entry price alone (although I wont pay R75 to go there) it just isn't fun to go alone I guess...I'll rather go spend 5 hours in the cradle alone on my road bike - more endorphins in that ride 

You have to get that shoulder right again... then we can go try out the pump track at the Lion and Rhino park....

The okes beeeyatching about entrance fees are usually on R75k bikes, with R10k garmins; R5k shoes and all the top, top kit...

R75 buys you a 3D movie ticket or a burger...to put things in perspective.

So what does it say when those same okes cannot see the value in dropping a whole R75 on entrance to the park?

(and for what it is worth, my bike is worth a fraction of R75K, my shoes are 4 years old with even older kit and I don't own a bike computer of any sort)

You have to get that shoulder right again... then we can go try out the pump track at the Lion and Rhino park....

They have a pump track at the Rhino park?  Any good?  

Last year I paid EUR 100 for a season pass to Port Du Soliel. It was used for 3 weeks (had 4 weeks left on it though).

That works out to approximately R71.50 a day. That's for 7 bike parks, 21 ski lifts, and over 650km of trail.

PLUS access to all public buses in the area, the town's sports centre and swimming pools.

So yeah R75 for the PWC bike park is pretty expensive for what one gets  :whistling: 

Here's my take on riding in and around JHB.

If one wants:

• Pump track and jumps... Wolwespruit. Worth the drive. R30
  • Relaxed trails with some optional jumps here and there... The Spruit. Free
  • More challenging trails... Van Gaalen or Hakahana (also less than R75 and worth the drive).

But if one is a northern suburbs soccer mom and needs to entertain a dozen kids with bicycles on a Saturday while hanging with her fellow soccer mom friends... then PWC is the perfect place to let your kids loose and catch up on the gossip. :lol:

@Patches and Cat-i my comment was just to give Nofearnofun a bit of uphill on a Tuesday 

We all know how much he loves uphills  :ph34r:

Iv been to pcw twice in the last 3 weeks and maybe just because Im a fairly new rider I dont think its too bad for the riding I enjoy. I went to Heia safari 2 weeks back when I got some speed on the burms one of the burms broke away under my front wheel about 30cm from the top which led to a bad fall on the rocks and damage to my bike, so  75 bucks for piece of mind that atleast the tracks are well prepared doesnt seem bad in my mind aswell me driving to pretoria is going to cost me much more.

I have a x20 entry card I bought in January...used it 3 times  :eek:  (so yes in this year I have been to the park 3 times = most for me in a year too)

Then it worked out to R30 per entry

Guess for me it isn't about the entry price alone (although I wont pay R75 to go there) it just isn't fun to go alone I guess...I'll rather go spend 5 hours in the cradle alone on my road bike - more endorphins in that ride 

did somebody hack your pc or is this really you...?  always thought you'll trade in 5 hours on a roadbike for 10 minutes on a pump track any day :)

They have a pump track at the Rhino park?  Any good?  

They do at the restuarant near the entrance - they were still building it a couple of weeks ago during the route 99 - but it looks interesting and it could be fun.

Last year I paid EUR 100 for a season pass to Port Du Soliel. It was used for 3 weeks (had 4 weeks left on it though).

That works out to approximately R71.50 a day. That's for 7 bike parks, 21 ski lifts, and over 650km of trail.

PLUS access to all public buses in the area, the town's sports centre and swimming pools.

So yeah R75 for the PWC bike park is pretty expensive for what one gets  :whistling: 

Mr Winter, Patches pretty much sums it up but just to add value from my side.

Show me this view at PWC and I'll pay R75 entrance.

post-31228-0-13159300-1447163292_thumb.jpg

Mr Winter, Patches pretty much sums it up but just to add value from my side.

Show me this view at PWC and I'll pay R75 entrance.

attachicon.gif20150726_122555.jpg

I've seen plenty Spaz Enduros at the bike park! :P

@Patches and Cat-i my comment was just to give Nofearnofun a bit of uphill on a Tuesday 

We all know how much he loves uphills  :ph34r:

hahaha! I know, that's why he (and I) choose to go to Morzine. To avoid them uphills! :lol:

Finally popped in for a pre work ride this morning. I get that it might not be very long but as a bangbroek rider, the small bits of blue/green were fun. I didn't get through everything in 45mins - but I even decided to ride the pump track. Took me about 2 mins at the top to convince myself, and I rolled over it - no air was had but I felt like a little kid going wheeee.

So at R75 for 45 mins, I actually had more fun then my usual spinning class, plus the showers are great. I expected it to be a bit gross after a busy weekend but pleasantly surprised.

Good job to all involved. I definitely won't ride during the weekend but as a weekday getaway.. Good option. The lady said Mon-fri 10-3 is R50.

• 6 months later...

I've just joined them for a whopping R179.00 p/m.

For me they are literally on the way home from the office so it's very easy for me to squeeze in an hour or two after work. 

While the trails are not the most technical, they do give you a fair workout if you try smash it through there. 

Evidently they are looking at catering for the more technical riders, so hopefully we'll see some interesting sections opening up soon. 

I've just joined them for a whopping R179.00 p/m.

For me they are literally on the way home from the office so it's very easy for me to squeeze in an hour or two after work.

While the trails are not the most technical, they do give you a fair workout if you try smash it through there.

Evidently they are looking at catering for the more technical riders, so hopefully we'll see some interesting sections opening up soon.

Dang. I pay R200 for membership there...

Must find out why

Archived