The value of your bike - Bicyclebluebook

scooby15

Would duties and things like that perhaps have an influence on second-hand values here? Compared to the values the site lists? Rather than just a straight conversion for example. Or am I just over complicating things

I think you are over complicating things...This is just a price indicator... no duties on bicycles as they would be purchased locally . Also there is no extra duties on importing bicycle parts into south africa except VAT.

from the prices I've seen on thehub, the site is pretty accurate -

MSRP New:

$3,800

BicycleBlueBook.com Value:http://www.bicyclebluebook.com/Resources/Images/q.png

$2437 - $2507 (Like-New)
$2326 - $2396 (Excellent)
$2130 - $2196 (Good)
$1442 - $1486 (Fair)

BIKE DETAILS: Make: Specialized
Model: Camber Comp Carbon 29
Year: 2014

I agree - depending on what exchange rate you use and if you add VAT to those prices then a 2014 Camber Comp Carbon is likely to cost between R16k and R36k 2nd hand. Not sure how that helps you with setting your selling price though!

Now everyone will ask for R36k and people will buy Cannondales instead (or whatever the closest competitor is).

I agree - depending on what exchange rate you use and if you add VAT to those prices then a 2014 Camber Comp Carbon is likely to cost between R16k and R36k 2nd hand. Not sure how that helps you with setting your selling price though!

Now everyone will ask for R36k and people will buy Cannondales instead (or whatever the closest competitor is).

What I do is use the website's DEPRECIATION and apply it to the LOCAL purchase price.

So, depreciation of 42% for a "good" cond Camber means a 2nd-hand price of -

R40k - 42% = R23k or thereabouts.

This accounts for exchange rate fluctuations but maybe not for VAT?

It's not perfect but a handy rule of thumb (like all 2nd-hand valuations).

I think you are over complicating things...This is just a price indicator... no duties on bicycles as they would be purchased locally . Also there is no extra duties on importing bicycle parts into south africa except VAT.

Fair enough, I was just thinking from the point of the value listed on the site being a local value in the US for example, and the "new" price there would differ from here due to import duties imposed on the local importers? So a direct translation may be a bit misleading or a bit low..

But yes it is just an indicator/ball park figure at the end of the day :) 

Like a car with nice wheels, most upgrades make a bike more attractive and an easier sale but don't aften add value.

Obviously this is not all upgrades, a Pike fork for example would add value but a fancy seatpost or stem wouldn't.

SOOOO much debate on resale value, this thread should explode!!!

Well then you have NO idea what a "fancy seatpost" cost and would never be able to realise a bargain should it come across your path......

Just a thought......

;)

Why am i missing the silverbacks?

Ja, Silverback not listed. Well, my 2012 Mercury DS is worth its weight in gold....

Only because its all I have for now. ????????????

Archived