• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting back on track http://eatingtotrain.blogspot.com/2015/08/sick-note.html

Just need to catch up with blogging now 

Thanks for the update. I think you got sick from all the carbs and the sugar.  hehe :whistling:

I'm curious to know if your cholesterol levels dropped.

What type/ brand of Muesli to you eat and how much. I usually eat oats before races or long rides (3h+) but tried Muesli last week and felt quite good. I only had about half a cup, where I usually took a full cup of oats.

Per 100g muesli has more calories than oats and with the yogurt you get that extra protein that is also good.

Glad you're feeling better. looking forward to your next post 

Thanks for the update. I think you got sick from all the carbs and the sugar. hehe :whistling:

I'm curious to know if your cholesterol levels dropped.

What type/ brand of Muesli to you eat and how much. I usually eat oats before races or long rides (3h+) but tried Muesli last week and felt quite good. I only had about half a cup, where I usually took a full cup of oats.

Per 100g muesli has more calories than oats and with the yogurt you get that extra protein that is also good.

Glad you're feeling better. looking forward to your next post

I'll only go for blood end Sept again. There are 4 different mueslis available from Woolies (not the low GI), 2 of them with oats & 2 without. I alternate for variety. When training or racing I add honey and increase serving size to 100gr. Otherwise I'll have 70gr without honey. Oats is fantastic as a fuel source but I don't like it on its own. Too many years of Jungle Oats I think.

• 3 weeks later...

Fudge???? really?? I can understand that it's high in sugar/ carbs and will probably deliver some solid energy, but as far as I understand it (sugars) increases/ spike your blood sugar and then it drops like a bomb.

Now that I'm thinking of it, I don't know if there is much of a difference between sugar from a gel and sugar from fudge. Can you feel a "lift" in energy levels from the fudge and how ling does that last?

I must admit I find the muesli got well. I always use to eat oats before a ride (only if its 90km plus- fasted if shorter) but I feel the muesli is better. I add some extra cranberries to the muesli.

Just out of curiosity- do you only ride as part of your training or do you do some strength and core work in the gym? Also, do you do your interval training on the bike while riding or on an IDT/ wattbike?

I rode for the first time in my life back to back on a weekend- Saturday 107km (solo- wife was a bit sick) and sunday (62km more relaxed) but on sunday my legs was like lead. Ave heart rate was 128 bpm, but I was poegaai.

Fudge???? really?? I can understand that it's high in sugar/ carbs and will probably deliver some solid energy, but as far as I understand it (sugars) increases/ spike your blood sugar and then it drops like a bomb.

Now that I'm thinking of it, I don't know if there is much of a difference between sugar from a gel and sugar from fudge. Can you feel a "lift" in energy levels from the fudge and how ling does that last?

I must admit I find the muesli got well. I always use to eat oats before a ride (only if its 90km plus- fasted if shorter) but I feel the muesli is better. I add some extra cranberries to the muesli.

Just out of curiosity- do you only ride as part of your training or do you do some strength and core work in the gym? Also, do you do your interval training on the bike while riding or on an IDT/ wattbike?

I rode for the first time in my life back to back on a weekend- Saturday 107km (solo- wife was a bit sick) and sunday (62km more relaxed) but on sunday my legs was like lead. Ave heart rate was 128 bpm, but I was poegaai.

If I could I would get sugar straight into my veins. My understanding is that the "dropping like a bomb" means you bonked/hit the wall. I've never experienced "spiking" and I don't know what it feels like. I have bonked/hit the wall and continued at snails pace. What I do know and the scientific evidence is there for all to see is that carbohydrate is essential for athletic performance.

There is definitely a difference when comparing different types of carbohydrate. For exercise up to 6 hours liquid is best as the gastro intestinal system might not get enough blood to function properly as most of the blood will go to the muscles.

I'm eating oats again due to sore mouth, thanks to the dentist. Cant say I find it any different from muesli when considering energy.

I do some core/strength work in the gym but not more than once a week. Should be doing more. On the bike I ride or race. I do intervals on the wattbike although some of the riding might include intervals such as climbs.

Distinguish between tired legs and no energy due to poor nutrition. Takes a while to get muscles used to riding 2 days in a row.  

I bonked once (just when I started cycling) and bought a coke and Bar One (on cycling buddy's advise) at the first opportunity. It worked like a bomb- but from there to finish was only about 20 mins at a sedentary pace and flat road, so I can't tell if it would have "drop" me all of a sudden.

I really struggle to eat while racing. I can think that eating fudge would be much easier than a bar or banana. Maybe I should try condense milk :drool:

My legs were definitely tired. I still had some energy but struggle with the legs from the word go. I must say, I had a hard training week from Monday till Sunday with strength training and wattbike sessions. This after the R4V on Sunday, so I guess the legs were a bit over trained. I'm pretty sure I will reap the benefits on 94.7.

Next week is a proper rest week.

Have a look at all the cycling on telly. Every single rider gets a can of Coke in the musette. Surely there is a good reason for this? 

There's some medical evidence that insulin response is different under high intensity.  So if you pedal hard enough (pretty hard) the body knows that the blood glucose is there to get burned.

There's no point in your body burning fat and draining glucose from the liver, just to use insulin to turn it into fat again.

Of course, if you're using half a kilo of fudge to fuel a 10 minute workout or a cruise/ride, there's going to be some left-over glucose.

This is one of those times where competitive needs are different from recreational needs.

You can also try marzipan...

PS Disclaimer: I'm not clued up enough to know all the implications of the different responses, and I strongly believe you shouldn't take medical advice from Internet forums.